Adventure Ocean Program questions

My trio will be in the Voyagers program.

1. Do they give you a pager in case of emergency, etc?
  2. Do the kids have sign in/out privileges?
  3. Is it worth the $5 per hour for them to stay after 10pm (we've never sailed RCCL before) so that DH and I can go out alone?
  4. How are the counselors? Were you pleased?
  5. If the kids don't want to do a group activity, can they do something else (such as computers or games)?

Thanks for any other info!

My trio will be in the Voyagers program.
  1. Do they give you a pager in case of emergency, etc?
  2. Do the kids have sign in/out privileges?
  3. Is it worth the $5 per hour for them to stay after 10pm (we've never sailed RCCL before) so that DH and I can go out alone?
  4. How are the counselors? Were you pleased?
  5. If the kids don't want to do a group activity, can they do something else (such as computers or games)?

Thanks for any other info!

The Pagers are for the smaller children if needed - not the older ones. Not sure, but maybe if you request and there are some available, you may be able to get one.

The kids can have sign out privileges if you want them to. When you register them the first day, and every day when you sign them in, you indicate on the sign in/out form on to if you authorize them to sign themselves out.

Depending on what you want to do after 10pm will determine if the $5/hr is worth it. Going to the late night parade - kids may enjoy it! Going to the Quest - not for kids. I think they just hand around after 10 maybe watch movies, play video games etc but I do not think there are "planned" activities

We have been on the Radiance and the Adventure and both my kids LOVED the AO program. Really depends on how many kids are sailing the week you are on. We have been lucky that each time we have sailed there were only about 70 kids on board (compared to 1200 they had the following week which was Presidents Day) The councilors we had were really amazing!

I think they try and get everyone involved in the group activity, but certainly won't "force" them too.

Always the highlight of the AO program for my kids is when they play "gaggaball" !!!

OP here+ thanks fhe input. We will be on the Freedom in June. We have only sailed Disney and their kids clubs are amazing. I am a bit worried about putting them in AO with no pager.

We have not been on Disney. We've been told that Disney has far better club staff so don't expect that level. That being said, we too were worried the first few times. If your day 1 is a sea day, they will be in the club for only a few hours before you go and get them for lunch. You'll know during that lunch how things are going. For our kids, it was full steam ahead. I am sure it depends on the child.

We have not been on Disney. We've been told that Disney has far better club staff so don't expect that level. That being said, we too were worried the first few times. If your day 1 is a sea day, they will be in the club for only a few hours before you go and get them for lunch. You'll know during that lunch how things are going. For our kids, it was full steam ahead. I am sure it depends on the child.

We are just really concerned about no pager. Our DS is mildly disabled (sometimes uses a wheelchair) and can get anxious. Disney paged us twice on our last cruise, and it was peace of mind knowing they could reach us anytime. I'm sure my trio would love the Freedom, but the pager will be an issue for us to consider.

To the OP - How old are your kids? Maybe they are young enough that they are in the group that gets pagers? As for your DS that is mildly disabled, call RCI and ask them what they do in his case (if he isn't young enough for a pager). Sorry I can't be of more help - we are going to be on our first RCCL cruise in April so I'm gathering all the info I can about AO from these boards also (and checking the RC site).

To everyone else - I don't recall seeing it on the RC sight, but AO is free right? Do we have to attend an orientation when you first get on board? Does that interfere with sailaway? (I read that on one of the other boards and I really want the kids to be up on deck for their first sailaway as we go by El Morro!). My kids (both boys) will be 10 & 14 on the cruise - so I assume they will have sign out privileges?

To the OP - How old are your kids? Maybe they are young enough that they are in the group that gets pagers? As for your DS that is mildly disabled, call RCI and ask them what they do in his case (if he isn't young enough for a pager). Sorry I can't be of more help - we are going to be on our first RCCL cruise in April so I'm gathering all the info I can about AO from these boards also (and checking the RC site).

To everyone else - I don't recall seeing it on the RC sight, but AO is free right? Do we have to attend an orientation when you first get on board? Does that interfere with sailaway? (I read that on one of the other boards and I really want the kids to be up on deck for their first sailaway as we go by El Morro!). My kids (both boys) will be 10 & 14 on the cruise - so I assume they will have sign out privileges?

My triplets are 9 (2 boys/1 girl). They will be in the Voyager program for 9-11 year olds. I know I am probably being overprotective, but our situation is a little different. DH and I would not leave them in the club without having a way for them to reach us at all times.

1. Pagers (actually dect phones) are for parents with children in the 3-5 year old age group.

2. You have the option to give sign out privledges starting with the 9-11 year old age group. It's your decision. Under that, no

3. My kids never make it to 10pm. They are dead on their feet by then. So if you kids or older (or can stay up later) yes, it may be worth it to you.

4. Counselors vary from ship to ship and sailing to sailing. I have had some that I have loved - others, not so much. ;)

5. In the younger groups (under 11), they do try to keep everyone doing the same thing. They don't want someone coming in and going on the computer all day. I did watch a mom try to argue that point with a AO counselor, she lost. The boy left.

The AO pages are at the link in my signature if you want to see them.

We are just really concerned about no pager. Our DS is mildly disabled (sometimes uses a wheelchair) and can get anxious. Disney paged us twice on our last cruise, and it was peace of mind knowing they could reach us anytime. I'm sure my trio would love the Freedom, but the pager will be an issue for us to consider.

I wanted to give you another option, just in case. Sometimes they do allow parents of older children to have a phone if there is enough left over from the 3-5 year old group. Since yours is a special case, you may want to contact RCCL secial needs department in advance and see if they can reserve you a phone or if they have another suggestion.

I googled the info for you, to contact the Special needs dept at RCCL...

call the Access Desk at (800) 722-5472 x34492 (voice/TDD), fax us at (305) 539-6666 or e-mail us at specialneeds@rccl.com

Also, there is a way to RENT dect phones onboard. They used to be $25, available at the pursers desk. So maybe if all else fails, you could rent a phone for your own use and leave the number with the counselors and your kids.

My triplets are 9 (2 boys/1 girl). They will be in the Voyager program for 9-11 year olds. I know I am probably being overprotective, but our situation is a little different. DH and I would not leave them in the club without having a way for them to reach us at all times.

God Bless You!! I have my hands full with 2 and there's a 4 year age difference! I can't imagine have 3 the same age!! (A friend of mine has triplets and her life is so much busier than mine!)

I see cruisinmama just confirmed what I was about to say and that is to contact RCI Special Needs and explain your situation. I can't blame you for being overprotective especially with a disabled (mildly or otherwise) child. We are planning on buying walkie talkies with texting capabilities so that we can keep up with our kids. I was going to rent the DECT phones, but have heard they are hard to come by - although if you call ahead like cruisinmama suggests, they will probably put one aside for you.

Don't start worrying too much now - gather the information like you are doing and relax - everything will be fine! I've got 9 months before we sail, but the more info I gather, the more relaxed I get! Have a great cruise!

Cruisinmama - I hope you are right about AO wearing out my kids! My 9yo is so full of energy - he will fight the "sleepies" and stay up as late as he can no matter how tired he really is! We usually put him to bed at 8:30pm and he's usually up by 6:30am - every day even on vacation!!! :eek: If AO can get him to sleep in for the week I will be eternally grateful to them!! :D

Cruisinmama - I hope you are right about AO wearing out my kids! My 9yo is so full of energy - he will fight the "sleepies" and stay up as late as he can no matter how tired he really is! We usually put him to bed at 8:30pm and he's usually up by 6:30am - every day even on vacation!!! :eek: If AO can get him to sleep in for the week I will be eternally grateful to them!! :D

Yep, not only do they get worn out in AO...but add to that the ports, the swimming, the rock wall climbing, the ice skating. Then usually when we get them at 10pm in AO, we walk them to get pizza or a cookie for a snack before bed. I know there have been many times where we have had to carry them back from the snack because they were half asleep at the table.

Yep, not only do they get worn out in AO...but add to that the ports, the swimming, the rock wall climbing, the ice skating. Then usually when we get them at 10pm in AO, we walk them to get pizza or a cookie for a snack before bed. I know there have been many times where we have had to carry them back from the snack because they were half asleep at the table.

Oh I'm praying that this happens to my youngest!!!!:D I will pay good money to see him start to fall asleep at the table! May be enough to go on a cruise every year for vacation!!:eek::D (Oh gosh DH would have my hide!!)

Archived