Carnival Dream Cove Balcony

nolaAlive

The cove balconies appear to look more like the mock up than I was expecting.

3681879621_e35e988bef.jpg

John Heald and mock ups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-_3tN7z8kc

dr_cove_lg.jpg

You don't idicate if you think this is a bad thing or a good thing? I personally am looking way forward to sailing in one of those either next year on the Dream or in 11 on the Magic!!

I think it is a great thing.

It looks like it will be possible to be seated on the balcony and view the water without a solid metal partition in the way.

Some people in the balconies above the lifeboats will have obstructed views when they look down.

There are no balconies on deck 3 or deck 1 (:eek:), so no noise from those neighbors, including the ones that slam the balcony doors.

The sound of the ocean going by should pretty much mask any possible noise from the upper decks.

Can't wait.

I think it is a great thing.

It looks like it will be possible to be seated on the balcony and view the water without a solid metal partition in the way.

Some people in the balconies above the lifeboats will have obstructed views when they look down.

There are no balconies on deck 3 or deck 1 (:eek:), so no noise from those neighbors, including the ones that slam the balcony doors.

The sound of the ocean going by should pretty much mask any possible noise from the upper decks.

Can't wait.

Amen!! I personally would never book a balcony that looked down on anything but the water. I think it is interesting that the "extended balconies" that one pays more for on the Miracle and her sisters all look down on lifeboats :eek: Nope, I want nothing but water when I look down!!

When we sail the Dream there is no doubt that we will be booking one of those cove balconies. It will be a totally different cruise perspective than we have ever had before.

I have no real clue on the answer, so I throw it out there for other opinions:

I'm guessing that there are no removable dividers between the cove balconies (to allow people traveling together to create a larger one) because it seems that's where the emergency steel doors would be stored, in case of rough sea conditions.

If that is the case, and the dividers are 'fixed' into place . . . how would the deck crew get from one closed balcony to the next to continue the closing process, if that situation occurred?? :confused:

Well, my DH just booked 2 of these cabins for our family. They are adjoining. We thought they looked interesting. We have been in some balcony rooms that are not private at all. I am hoping that the cove balconies have removable dividers. I would think that the watertight "windows" would be automatic. I guess we will all get some feedback after her first cruise. :)

I am kind of wishing now that we'd booked one of these balcony cabins - instead we booked a balcony stateroom on Lido. Of course we'll have a great time and enjoy the room and the convenient location, but the Cove balconies ARE really cool and it would be awesome being that close to the water.

Sailing on The Dream on 12/03/09. I know it's a new ship, but the prices are outrageous.

Hi, ProCruise!!

This is going to be a great 9-nt sailing. :) It's the first of four I have booked on this new ship, and the sailing I am most excited about, and looking forward to.

Please pop by and say Hello to the roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=853114

See ya in five months! :D

As great as the idea looks to be, having all that mass of ship above me would make me feel like I'm in a basement apartment.

I know what you are saying!! I have never been this far down in the "bowels" of the ship before. We usually book lido or higher. I was just very concerned about the balconies on this ship with the lani being below them. My son thought the cove balconies looked cool. We are open to new experiences and though this would be fun. :) - Charlotte

I have no real clue on the answer, so I throw it out there for other opinions:

I'm guessing that there are no removable dividers between the cove balconies (to allow people traveling together to create a larger one) because it seems that's where the emergency steel doors would be stored, in case of rough sea conditions.

If that is the case, and the dividers are 'fixed' into place . . . how would the deck crew get from one closed balcony to the next to continue the closing process, if that situation occurred?? :confused:

It looks like there is a rail running along the side of the ship. Maybe they'll have a monorail running and the crew can go from balcony to balcony. Hmmm. Reminds me a little of an earlier concept video of Dream.

I'm thinking that since the balconies are good sized holes in the hull, maybe the partitions faction as additional support.

The You tube video seems to try to show how the emergency doors would work, if they worked on the mock up. They probably had little more engineering to do after that attempted demo. Or maybe just training.

I'm thinking that since the balconies are good sized holes in the hull, maybe the partitions faction as additional support.

Oooooo, excellent observation. I'd not thought of that at all, and I bet you are correct.

See, that's why we pay you the big bucks. :)

(you did get that last check, right?)

I am kind of wishing now that we'd booked one of these balcony cabins - instead we booked a balcony stateroom on Lido. Of course we'll have a great time and enjoy the room and the convenient location, but the Cove balconies ARE really cool and it would be awesome being that close to the water.

Other than the angle they look a lot like the balconies on the first three Voyager class ships. RCCL abandoned the design in favor of slap glass for Navigator, Mariner and the Freedom class.

Having done both - we did not see the Voyager Balconey as a significant step back. I definitely will choose a cove for privacy and proximaty to the water.

Other than the angle they look a lot like the balconies on the first three Voyager class ships. RCCL abandoned the design in favor of slap glass for Navigator, Mariner and the Freedom class.

Having done both - we did not see the Voyager Balconey as a significant step back. I definitely will choose a cove for privacy and proximaty to the water.

Reminds me of the Navigators Verandah on Disney. We enjoyed it...was the least expensive "balcony" category, works well if you have young kids, and when the weather is stormy/rainy, you are still able to use your balcony - those with a regular/unenclosed balcony lose use of it.

Howard

Off the wall thought. What happens if for most or all of a cruise the seas are bad enough to close the balconies. Will credit be given for not having a full balcony cabin? I am assuming that when balcony is closed off you will not even have a window. Efectively it will become an inside cabin. Still I am thinking that next year sometime that my first balcony cabin will be one of these. They look great.

Off the wall thought. What happens if for most or all of a cruise the seas are bad enough to close the balconies. Will credit be given for not having a full balcony cabin? I am assuming that when balcony is closed off you will not even have a window. Efectively it will become an inside cabin. Still I am thinking that next year sometime that my first balcony cabin will be one of these. They look great.

A valid question, but I hope not - and I have one booked. There is an assumed risk sailing that close to the water. For that matter, there is an assumed risk sailing on a cruise ship, in general.

The cove balconies already cost less than others, and you get a unique experience.

Until we see what the "closure" is, maybe you will will have a view, maybe not?

If the seas are rough enough to warrant closure, I tend to think most people are not going to be sitting on their balcony, wherever the location.

Archived