First time out of LA cruisers! Help!

We are working on booking a last minute cruise on the Carnival Splendor out of Long Beach. I was looking for some advice as we have cruised before, but only out of Miami.

I have a couple of questions. My first question is if we were to fly into LAX instead of Long Beach (would really like to fly Southwest) a day early what is recommended to get to a hotel (in Long Beach). I did a quote with a shared van and was quoted 32 for the 2 of us. That seemed really reasonable to me, does anyone else have any recommendations?

My second question is a recommendation for a hotel. We are looking at spending no more than $200 for the night and would really like a free shuttle to the port but is also within a decent distance of some entertainment. Also, if we were to fly into Long Beach is there a hotel that shuttles for free to/from the airport and from the cruise port? I noticed the Queen Mary, does anyone have thoughts on that hotel? We will be on a ship for 7 days anyways so is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruiseaddict05 viewpost.gif

I have a couple of questions. My first question is if we were to fly into LAX instead of Long Beach (would really like to fly Southwest) a day early what is recommended to get to a hotel (in Long Beach). I did a quote with a shared van and was quoted 32 for the 2 of us. That seemed really reasonable to me, does anyone else have any recommendations?

SuperShuttle is the least expensive option (I don't recommend PrimeTime)

Check on here - as there are up to date discount codes, so if you book online it could be even less:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=936545

Quote:

My second question is a recommendation for a hotel. We are looking at spending no more than $200 for the night and would really like a free shuttle to the port but is also within a decent distance of some entertainment. Also, if we were to fly into Long Beach is there a hotel that shuttles for free to/from the airport and from the cruise port? I noticed the Queen Mary, does anyone have thoughts on that hotel? We will be on a ship for 7 days anyways so is it worth it?

I'm personally not a fan of the Queen Mary as an actual hotel to spend the night (great attraction, historical tour, yes - hotel, no).

Some people luck into a good cabin, and like it though.

And you're going to have a difficult time finding a hotel that shuttles to and from LGB and the pier - it's simply not their main customer base (Conventioners to the Convention Center is their main customer base).

If the flights to and from LAX are cheaper and far more frequent - it's only actually 10 miles further drive.

So - some hotels to check that are all good:

Hyatt

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=604242

Residence Inn Downtown Long Beach

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...each-downtown/

Best Western Convention Center

http://www.bwconventioncenterlongbeachca.com/

And most people don't realize, but a great option is Crowne Plaza San Pedro

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601984

More of a historical district (tons of movies and TV filmed around there) with lots of great restaurants, shops, and activities in close walking distance.

They will free shuttle you to and from Carnival's pier in Long Beach (it's just over the bridge)...

There are some other hotel options, but they don't have as much to do around them.

This should give you a start in your plans.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advise about the Crowne Plaza. I was looking at it because I have points to use for a free night but I wasn't sure they would shuttle to Carnivals port. Appreciate all of your advise...I've been reading many threads on here to learn as much as possible before we go Sept 27 and I've learned a lot from your posts. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Make sure you sign up for shuttle

to Long Beach when you arrive.

(The time you want)

Have to sign up for Long Beach

but not San Pedro.

Less shuttles going to Long Beach than San Pedro.

Did it in March, no problems.

(The time you want)

but not San Pedro.

Thanks for the heads up;) We are getting in late on Friday so I will need to write that down on my to dos so we don't miss the shuttle;)

(The time you want)

but not San Pedro.

LESS shuttles go to Long Beach, BECAUSE Only CARNIVAL is out of LB. San Pedro ports Princess, RCCL among others. Also plenty of Hotels on Ocean blvd in LB, as well as good food.

We are working on booking a last minute cruise on the Carnival Splendor out of Long Beach. I was looking for some advice as we have cruised before, but only out of Miami.

We just got off the Splendor. We stayed at the Queen Mary hotel and felt it was worth it since it's right next to the Carnival terminal. Our room was fine, it was me, DH and 2 DDs, (9 & 14). It's an old hotel that was renovated. We got a discount as we mentioned that we're booked on the Splendor. The food was fine. There is a moderate priced restaurant on the Queen Mary. There's also a very upscale restaurant with dress code there, can't remember the name but apparently is very well known.

The next morning we just drove our car to the Carnival terminal parking.

We liked the close proximity to Carnival.

Archived