Carnival Splendor Pre Post Cruise Help! First time cruising out of LA!

I did post this on the west coast departures board but I know the Carnival board is much more popular!

We are working on booking a last minute cruise on the Carnival Splendor out of Long Beach. I was looking for some advice as we have cruised before, but only out of Miami.

I have a couple of questions. My first question is if we were to fly into LAX instead of Long Beach (would really like to fly Southwest) a day early what is recommended to get to a hotel (in Long Beach). I did a quote with a shared van and was quoted 32 for the 2 of us. That seemed really reasonable to me, does anyone else have any recommendations?

My second question is a recommendation for a hotel. We are looking at spending no more than $200 for the night and would really like a free shuttle to the port but is also within a decent distance of some entertainment. Also, if we were to fly into Long Beach is there a hotel that shuttles for free to/from the airport and from the cruise port? I noticed the Queen Mary, does anyone have thoughts on that hotel? We will be on a ship for 7 days anyways so is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

We are going on the Splendor in Sept. I can't help with the flight info, since we drive, but you could stay at the Queen Mary ... which is docked right at the port. A couple other people from our roll call are staying at the Hyatt in Long Beach, which you can see the pier from. We would normally stay some where around the DL area since we'd go there there day before the cruise, so I haven't personally stayed at either of these, but I have read good things.

I have a couple of questions. My first question is if we were to fly into LAX instead of Long Beach (would really like to fly Southwest) a day early what is recommended to get to a hotel (in Long Beach). I did a quote with a shared van and was quoted 32 for the 2 of us. That seemed really reasonable to me, does anyone else have any recommendations?

SuperShuttle is the least expensive option (I don't recommend PrimeTime)

Check on here - as there are up to date discount codes, so if you book online it could be even less:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=936545

My second question is a recommendation for a hotel. We are looking at spending no more than $200 for the night and would really like a free shuttle to the port but is also within a decent distance of some entertainment. Also, if we were to fly into Long Beach is there a hotel that shuttles for free to/from the airport and from the cruise port? I noticed the Queen Mary, does anyone have thoughts on that hotel? We will be on a ship for 7 days anyways so is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I'm personally not a fan of the Queen Mary as an actual hotel to spend the night (great attraction, historical tour, yes - hotel, no).

Some people luck into a good cabin, and like it though.

And you're going to have a difficult time finding a hotel that shuttles to and from LGB and the pier - it's simply not their main customer base (Conventioners to the Convention Center is their main customer base).

If the flights to and from LAX are cheaper and far more frequent - it's only actually 10 miles further drive.

So - some hotels to check that are all good:

Hyatt

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=604242

Residence Inn Downtown Long Beach

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbri-residence-inn-long-beach-downtown/

Best Western Convention Center

http://www.bwconventioncenterlongbeachca.com/

And most people don't realize, but a great option is Crowne Plaza San Pedro

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601984

More of a historical district (tons of movies and TV filmed around there) with lots of great restaurants, shops, and activities in close walking distance.

They will free shuttle you to and from Carnival's pier in Long Beach (it's just over the bridge)...

There are some other hotel options, but they don't have as much to do around them.

This should give you a start in your plans.

Both times that I've sailed out of Long Beach, we flew into LAX and took Super Shuttle. They were fine both times. A lot of people will recommend flying to Long Beach but since I usually fly Southwest, they only go into LAX. Also, I figure if I miss a flight, there are a lot more options out of LAX than Long Beach.

I would recommend a shuttle there and possibly a cab back to the airport if you find someone else to share with.

On our first cruise out of there, we flew in day of on the first flight. Though we came from 2 separate cities, both would are within driving distance if something happened.

We sailed Splendor in April flew in the day before. We stayed at the Maya Hotel (formerly Coast). Its within walking distance of the port...just a little past Queen Mary. We walked over there without luggage to do early check in and then cabbed it later (friend had too much to walk with).

There is a stop for the free Passport shuttle at the hotel that will take you to downtown Long Beach. We took it to Walmart and picked up snacks, drinks, last minute things.

SuperShuttle is the least expensive option (I don't recommend PrimeTime)

Check on here - as there are up to date discount codes, so if you book online it could be even less:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=936545

Thank you, I was looking at Prime Time because I could not figure out how to get a quote from super shuttle. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm personally not a fan of the Queen Mary as an actual hotel to spend the night (great attraction, historical tour, yes - hotel, no).

Some people luck into a good cabin, and like it though.

And you're going to have a difficult time finding a hotel that shuttles to and from LGB and the pier - it's simply not their main customer base (Conventioners to the Convention Center is their main customer base).

If the flights to and from LAX are cheaper and far more frequent - it's only actually 10 miles further drive.

So - some hotels to check that are all good:

Hyatt

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=604242

Residence Inn Downtown Long Beach

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbri-residence-inn-long-beach-downtown/

Best Western Convention Center

http://www.bwconventioncenterlongbeachca.com/

And most people don't realize, but a great option is Crowne Plaza San Pedro

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601984

More of a historical district (tons of movies and TV filmed around there) with lots of great restaurants, shops, and activities in close walking distance.

They will free shuttle you to and from Carnival's pier in Long Beach (it's just over the bridge)...

There are some other hotel options, but they don't have as much to do around them.

This should give you a start in your plans.

Curt Jerome Wild- Thanks so much! Do all of these hotels listed have free shuttle to the pier or just the last one listed?

Both times that I've sailed out of Long Beach, we flew into LAX and took Super Shuttle. They were fine both times. A lot of people will recommend flying to Long Beach but since I usually fly Southwest, they only go into LAX. Also, I figure if I miss a flight, there are a lot more options out of LAX than Long Beach.

I would recommend a shuttle there and possibly a cab back to the airport if you find someone else to share with.

On our first cruise out of there, we flew in day of on the first flight. Though we came from 2 separate cities, both would are within driving distance if something happened.

We sailed Splendor in April flew in the day before. We stayed at the Maya Hotel (formerly Coast). Its within walking distance of the port...just a little past Queen Mary. We walked over there without luggage to do early check in and then cabbed it later (friend had too much to walk with).

There is a stop for the free Passport shuttle at the hotel that will take you to downtown Long Beach. We took it to Walmart and picked up snacks, drinks, last minute things.

Does the Maya Hotel have a free shuttle to the port, or just downtown?

Curt Jerome Wild- Thanks so much! Do all of these hotels listed have free shuttle to the pier or just the last one listed?

You have been give some good advise, the only thing I can add is that there is a new Marriott Residence Inn near the terminal that is very reasonable and has a shuttle in the morning to the ship. There is a free Long Beach bus that comes around every few minutes that can take you anywhere around the tourist spots in downtown Long Beach as well as a water taxi that can drop you off at the Aquarium or Shoreline Village where you would have a short walk to restaurants, entertainment, and such. When will you be cruising?

Smooth seas.

You have been give some good advise, the only thing I can add is that there is a new Marriott Residence Inn near the terminal that is very reasonable and has a shuttle in the morning to the ship. There is a free Long Beach bus that comes around every few minutes that can take you anywhere around the tourist spots in downtown Long Beach as well as a water taxi that can drop you off at the Aquarium or Shoreline Village where you would have a short walk to restaurants, entertainment, and such. When will you be cruising?

Smooth seas.

Thank you- you gotta love how all the CCers come through! Hopefully we will be flying in August 8th and sailing out August 9th!

Residence Inn and Crowne Plaza have shuttles to the pier.

Costa Maya does as well, but they are still not 100% finished on their construction - so, while it's okay, just be aware of that...

Best Western Convention Center might, but you'd have to check.

I love Hyatt for the best location in downtown Long Beach - they don't have a shuttle.

Thank you- you gotta love how all the CCers come through! Hopefully we will be flying in August 8th and sailing out August 9th!

We are 2 weeks after you, too bad. We are staying at the Residence, it's new, big rooms, and very convenient. Have a wonderful trip.

We were going to stay at the Residence Inn, but got a great deal on the Hilton on Priceline ($66) last month. Nice hotel. We enjoyed the walk to other Long Beach attractions and restaurants. Since we like to get out and walk, it worked for us. It is on one of the Passport shuttle routes if one perfers. The Priceline savings paid the cab fare to the port several times over. Just another option.

Costa Maya does as well, but they are still not 100% finished on their construction - so, while it's okay, just be aware of that...

Yes, my friend and I were wondering if we would get a hard hat at check in...LOL

Mrs. Las Vegas Willie here-Remember meeting you last year on Paradise. My daughter and I are sailing Splendor in 1 week. What's the scoop on Splendor-any hints, gotta do, don't do or general comments?:)

Hey Sunshine! Email me at this name on yahoo...we were on the Swine Flu cruise to the Mexican Riviera port of San Francisco. I'll give you all the dirt! :D

Does the Maya Hotel have a free shuttle to the port, or just downtown?

They have a shuttle but I don't think it was free...we took a cab and it was about $7. You had to sign up ahead of time for the shuttle and it was full bt the time we caught wind of it.

The bus that stops in front of the hotel is run by the City. It does eventually stop in front of the Queen Mary but not until it's return trip downtown. It's a good way to get downtown though.

In terms of LAX, when I sailed Paradise last year, I was completely paranoid from the things I read online here about flying into LAX. It was an airport I had used more than once in the past and never had any problems though. I know the traffic can be hit or miss when getting to the port but we've been lucky. As a matter of fact, I had to wait almost 5 hours for my flight because I was too afraid to book something early.

I will add though that coming home from Splendor this year, the ticket counter for SW at LAX was a complete nightmare. But, we had made sure to take something like this into account when scheduling our return flight.

We were on the Splendor last month and stayed at the new Marriott Residence Inn. It's right next to the Maya and way less expensive. Nice rooms with small kitchen, fridge/freezer, icemaker, etc. They have a complimentary breakfast buffet with fresh fruit, eggs, toast, cerials, pastries.

Also a free shuttle to the pier. They pier is only a stones throw away and you can see the ship clearly from the hotel. There is a great seafood restaurant just next door - The Reef. This is a good hotel with a decent price.

We have stayed at the Hyatt, Hilton, and Renaissance for a pre-cruise stay, a high school reunion, and a wedding and all were great. We got all hotels on Priceline for under $90 and all were weekend night stays. All three were within walking distance of each other and all the great restaurants of downtown Long Beach. The Long Beach Aquarium is a gem. One of the best aquariums around. I use BetterBedding.com and Biddingfortravel.com for great help when using Priceline. It seems that the Hilton has been going for around $70 a night on Priceline lately. Taxi from the Hilton to the Queen Mary was $8 each way. Do not be afraid of Priceline.

There is no reason to stay in San Pedro if you are cruising out of Long Beach. Much better and more things to do in the LB.

They have a shuttle but I don't think it was free...we took a cab and it was about $7. You had to sign up ahead of time for the shuttle and it was full bt the time we caught wind of it.

The bus that stops in front of the hotel is run by the City. It does eventually stop in front of the Queen Mary but not until it's return trip downtown. It's a good way to get downtown though.

In terms of LAX, when I sailed Paradise last year, I was completely paranoid from the things I read online here about flying into LAX. It was an airport I had used more than once in the past and never had any problems though. I know the traffic can be hit or miss when getting to the port but we've been lucky. As a matter of fact, I had to wait almost 5 hours for my flight because I was too afraid to book something early.

I will add though that coming home from Splendor this year, the ticket counter for SW at LAX was a complete nightmare. But, we had made sure to take something like this into account when scheduling our return flight.

The latest we will be able to get a flight is 1:40 pm... I hope that is enough time because my husband has to work the next day.

• 3 weeks later...
Residence Inn and Crowne Plaza have shuttles to the pier.

Best Western Convention Center might, but you'd have to check.

I love Hyatt for the best location in downtown Long Beach - they don't have a shuttle.

You seem to have lots of good information. Wish we had checked sooner. We have a good sized group and they opt'd for the Queen (to stay, because the unique atmosphere) which you did not have raves for but we are already booked and locked in. Any good choices for places to eat in the area (either that will work for the passport shuttle or not)?

Jim

I prefer the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for several reasons...not the least of which is price. I have consistantly gotten rooms there for $65 - 70 on Priceline, and they are one of only two 3 star hotels in San Pedro. Makes it easy to bid, and you generally know in advance which property you will stay at.

I understand the early check-in has changed from the Queen to the Terminal. Early check-in has always made things easy, and we are generally on-board with the first boat drink by 11:30. It can be hot or wet (depending on the weather) waiting outside for the ship to begin embarcation, esp if they get in late or have customs problems.

Archived