Grand Princess Mediterranean - just back

melog

We have just returned from Grand Princess Mediterranean, departed Southampton 13 June. Stateroom C739

First cruise with Princess and we were very disappointed.

First impressions – we knew she was fairly old (in ship years) but we still expected a high standard. This cruise was some £300 more expensive than NCL per person. We fancied a change and thought the brand Princess stood for quality.

The room furniture and bathroom is tired and dated, and the wear and tear of use showed. Although the room is ‘clean’ it really needs a very thorough clean - there were nail clippings on the carpet! We asked for egg crates on the bed and we were surprised that the beds were comfortable.

We opened the curtains to look at the balcony and we were shocked! There is paint all over the balcony furniture and the matting is dingy and discoloured. We asked the purser to have the balcony cleaned up but no one did come to do it.

As we were on the Caribe deck there was room to manoeuvre around the balcony, the smaller balconies looked very cramped.

The entertainment was terrible unless you like illusionists, karaoke, watching old films. Perhaps because the majority of the passengers were in their 70’s -so suited them. We choose anytime dining and ate in the Michelangelo restaurant, for the first week the food was mediocre – if we had been in a restaurant at home we would have refused to pay!

We celebrated our wedding anniversary whilst on board but didn’t have any balloons on our stateroom door as the room steward forgot!

The very best part of the cruise was the evening we had the Ultimate Balcony Dining – which is fabulous! The food and service was wonderful a memorable evening and worth every penny!!!

Will we do Princess again?? NO, their high prices do not deliver in quality compared to NCL or RC

Did you try the Horizon court in the evening ?

Did you not ask the cabin steward to clean the room -I always do .I also tell them that they will not get any tips unless they sort the room to my satisfaction.

We did go to the Horizon twice in the evenings, where there is a good selection of food. But because I like to 'dress up' in the evenings, I like to have waiter service.

melog,

We will be on this cruise departing July 18th. Can you please tell us a bit about the ports specifically:

how long was the tender ride into Cannes?

A bit of detail about Alghero

What did you do in Alicante

Also some information on Gibraltar

Any tips regarding any ports would also be greatly appreciated.

melog,

We will be on this cruise departing July 18th. Can you please tell us a bit about the ports specifically:

Tender into Cannes about 10 15 minutes, there were about 4 tenders going back & forwards

Alghero - we stayed on the ship, there were so many people going off the ship that for the couple of hours on shore we didn't feel it worth it so enjoyed some quiet time on board

What did you do in Alicante - nice harbour - little else

Gibraltar - long walk to cable car from drop off point, long queue (20-30 mins) to get on cable car. Ideal place to buy the little things you may have forgotton (there is M&S there)

Really loved Sailaway party on Deck 14, very patriotic, singing Land of hope and glory, union flags were given out so lots of waving and singing a really lovely atmosphere. Also Crown Princess in port at the same time so lots of horns blowing!

I am sure you will enjoy your cruise, we just feel comparing to NCL & RC Princess need to up their game.

If you would like to know anything else please do ask!

We have just returned from Grand Princess Mediterranean, departed Southampton 13 June. Stateroom C739

First cruise with Princess and we were very disappointed.

First impressions – we knew she was fairly old (in ship years) but we still expected a high standard. This cruise was some £300 more expensive than NCL per person. We fancied a change and thought the brand Princess stood for quality.

The room furniture and bathroom is tired and dated, and the wear and tear of use showed. Although the room is ‘clean’ it really needs a very thorough clean - there were nail clippings on the carpet! We asked for egg crates on the bed and we were surprised that the beds were comfortable.

We opened the curtains to look at the balcony and we were shocked! There is paint all over the balcony furniture and the matting is dingy and discoloured. We asked the purser to have the balcony cleaned up but no one did come to do it.

As we were on the Caribe deck there was room to manoeuvre around the balcony, the smaller balconies looked very cramped.

The entertainment was terrible unless you like illusionists, karaoke, watching old films. Perhaps because the majority of the passengers were in their 70’s -so suited them. We choose anytime dining and ate in the Michelangelo restaurant, for the first week the food was mediocre – if we had been in a restaurant at home we would have refused to pay!

We celebrated our wedding anniversary whilst on board but didn’t have any balloons on our stateroom door as the room steward forgot!

The very best part of the cruise was the evening we had the Ultimate Balcony Dining – which is fabulous! The food and service was wonderful a memorable evening and worth every penny!!!

Will we do Princess again?? NO, their high prices do not deliver in quality compared to NCL or RC

We were on this cruise and we thought most of the passengers were under 14 which ruined it for us

Very interesting....same cruise with one saying most pax in their 70's and another saying most pax below age 14!!!!! How can this be?

It makes you think perhaps the rest of the review should be read with some healthy consideration of their point of view / judgement ;)

With regard to age group on board the Grand.

There were 2,700 adults and 199 children on board and we were never bothered by the children. We are in our fifties travelling without children and we noticed that the OAP's on board at the Horizon restaurant quite rude pushing and shoving, they were the ones re arranging the sun beds, taking the chairs out of the conservatory, talking through the films been shown & I could continue.

We hardly noticed the children they were all so well behaved!

Hi Melog,

Why did you accept this level of service, I would have been off to see Passenger Services Director with some photos to show him requesting another cabin, or at very least a full clean, a few free dinners at the steak house if food was poor etc.

yours Shogun

Photos of the chairs on our balcony and also of the balcony below us. It looks as though ours was not the only one!!

The best part of the cruise was the UDB - would recommend this to anyone.

IMGP0616.jpg.198238a3c716c414e25802f78f2e3844.jpg

IMGP0636.jpg.8a1bdc68a11f8904b3935a38ef69d512.jpg

IMGP0614.jpg.5032bfed96a6279861743c7d27380ecf.jpg

In the pictures of the chairs I see a few paint marks, but wouldn't call it 'all over'. The discoloration looks like salt deposits from spray, and of course the sun will bleach the colour very quickly.

Can I ask if you went to any of the production shows in the evenings and what they were? I am on the Grand next week and have already started planning my sea days and evenings.

Many thanks.

p.s. just been told that there are 600 kids on the ship at the moment!

It is the start of the school holidays', we always try and avoid these dates. There are the childrens clubs and the children on board with us were very well behaved.

We did go to the show on two evenings and were not impressed!

You will enjoy the captains welcome cocktail party, the sailaway from Gibralter and well worth the money is the UDB. MUTS was good but would be even better with headphones.

There were 2,700 adults and 199 children on board and we were never bothered by the children. We are in our fifties travelling without children and we noticed that the OAP's on board at the Horizon restaurant quite rude pushing and shoving, they were the ones re arranging the sun beds, taking the chairs out of the conservatory, talking through the films been shown & I could continue.

The children well behaved i don't think so . Breaking all the rules at the swimming pools, jumping in and out of lifts , i could go on and on.

If we all agreed about things though life would be very boring;)

What is an OAP?

Sorry you had a bad cruise,

But sometimes you need to try a line more then once before ruling them out,

We tried NCL a second time only to realize there ships were still ugly, and service and food the worst, Our princess Cruise was way better then NCL, and we look forward to Princess this August. I would try a newer princess ship perhaps? if the price and timing is right?

I am surprised by the age demographic??? We sailed last july on Celebrity Summit in the Med, and average age I would say was 50's,

I would give Princess another shot, maybe closer to home? Thanks for the review though

Hope your next cruise is better, Happy Anniversary!

Thank you toronto25 for your comments, a newer ship might be the answer.

We left from Southampton and the ship seemed to be full of english / british people so maybe we did not like the nationality mix either.

maiseric, I do not know where you sat, but all children will play around the pool, that is children. There were (I think) two adult only pools). In the public areas restaurants, lifts etc the children were polite, respectful and well behaved, in fact far better behaved than the senior citizens!

We left from Southampton and the ship seemed to be full of english / british people so maybe we did not like the nationality mix either.

Hi

We live in the UK now, We are just looking forwrd to some sun, excellent food and chilling out!

Is the nationality mix more to your liking in the UK? Last time I was there the whole place seemed to full of English / British people. Perhaps they were on holiday.

We are doing the Grand Med (Venice-Barcelona) next Fourth of July and our roll call seems to include many with tweens and teens. We're not bringing ours. But I am not concerned much with the age mix.

I agree with Toronto on newer ships. I don't think I will go on a ship more than 5 years old. I think that relates to the shape of the ship and amenities.

Food is one of my concerns with Princess. I thought dinners in the MDR were not that good on my Crown Princess cruise (as compared with recent Carnival and RCCL cruises). However, I thought breakfast and lunch buffets in the Horizon/Caribe were very good and the Crown Grill and Sabatinis were both excellent. The food is not to the point where it would make the difference in me choosing another line for that reason. But I really wish Princess did a better job in the MDRs at dinner time. I hope I caught them at a bad time and that they are better than they showed.

OP, thank you for your review.

Archived