Tipping for concierge class breakfast

lawk

Do you think the stewards think you are "buying them off"? I like the idea of nightly champagne... do you think this extra, early tipping would achieve that?

This was just one of the many extra benefits we received this past March on SolsticeIWe also received canapes,cheese & crackers & shrimp cocktail daily in our cabin.Huge ice buckets were delivered each morning and kept replenished throughout our vacation. These are just some of the extras that we enjoy over and above the standard CC1 list of benefits. I have found that "extra" tipping at the very beginning and establishing a good relationship with the cabin steward up front,eliminates disappointment later on!The cabin steward feels its only appropriate to go the extra mile.

This was just one of the many extra benefits we received this past March on SolsticeIWe also received canapes,cheese & crackers & shrimp cocktail daily in our cabin.Huge ice buckets were delivered each morning and kept replenished throughout our vacation. These are just some of the extras that we enjoy over and above the standard CC1 list of benefits. I have found that "extra" tipping at the very beginning and establishing a good relationship with the cabin steward up front,eliminates disappointment later on!The cabin steward feels its only appropriate to go the extra mile.

Maybe these were Solstice perks? Either way, we may just give it a go - my husband likes the idea !

Did you have a concierge class cabin, to get all of these benefits?

We'll be sailing to Bermuda in May and the first time in a CC cabin. As a rule, we don't tip extra until the end of the cruise. Many times, the room service, in the past, was delivered by our steward or his assistant. Even in the suites, we don't do anything extra for the butler, save our last cruise because we had guests who dined with us every morning.

Now as far as the salaries for the crew is concerned, it might be possible that the crew could be paid that much. However, as someone who used to work in the shipping industry and handled payrolls for both Filipino and Croatian crew members, the amount could be $40-$50 an hour, except the onboard crew does not see that in their pockets. The money goes to Seafarers Unions, medical insurance, taxes, crew handling costs and most importantly, the money is sent to their spouses or whoever the crew member designates. I don't really want to hijack this thread, but I wanted to clarify the confusion.

BTW, from what I understand from past crewmembers, Celebrity pays the best. That's one of the reasons why we get excellent service.

Anita

In Australia and New Zealand we pay our employees a wage or salary which is fair and adequate. They do not need tips to supplement their income.

Tipping has only come in as a result of outside influence and we don't like it.

If the cruise lines do not pay their employees well enough, then that should not be reason for guests to have to pay additionally for service - standard service that is.

Far better to increase fares to cover fair wages than introduce insidious extras by way of compulsory (discretionary) tipping.

Exceptional service may warrant a gratuity payment but this should not be expected.

Most ship service, such as stateroom service (breakfast etc.), is never more than standard and therefore not deserving of extra payment. The stewards are there to provide that service and should not expect to be paid more.

A 10 day cruise for a couple will cost $240 extra if tips are added.

In Australia and New Zealand we pay our employees a wage or salary which is fair and adequate. They do not need tips to supplement their income.

Tipping has only come in as a result of outside influence and we don't like it.

If the cruise lines do not pay their employees well enough, then that should not be reason for guests to have to pay additionally for service - standard service that is.

Far better to increase fares to cover fair wages than introduce insidious extras by way of compulsory (discretionary) tipping.

Exceptional service may warrant a gratuity payment but this should not be expected.

Most ship service, such as stateroom service (breakfast etc.), is never more than standard and therefore not deserving of extra payment. The stewards are there to provide that service and should not expect to be paid more.

A 10 day cruise for a couple will cost $240 extra if tips are added.

I totally agree... but then I'm from New Zealand also. We will tip for fantastic service sometimes or we will round up the cost of a meal, the balance being a tip. What we don't do is have a standard amount that we "have" to give.

My biggest problem with this cruise we are going on is that we have prepaid our gratuity already as part of our ticket price. This amounted to about NZ$380 which is about US$250. We will tip on the ship because we don't want to be perceived as cheap but by the time we add on what we will tip on the ship, we would have tipped approx $300 dollars. Is this what others who have not prepaid their gratuity will pay?

I take a stack of $ 2 bills. $ 4 for breakfast & $ 2 for snacks.

After 8 trips to the USA I've never seen a $2 bill!!

ps..just looked them up on google..and this was the answer..

the two-dollar bill is one of the most rarely seen in circulation and actual use.

They are almost never given as change for commercial transactions, and thus consumers rarely have them on hand.

So I'm wondering does gakski really use them...

After 8 trips to the USA I've never seen a $2 bill!!

ps..just looked them up on google..and this was the answer..

the two-dollar bill is one of the most rarely seen in circulation and actual use.

They are almost never given as change for commercial transactions, and thus consumers rarely have them on hand.

So I'm wondering does gakski really use them...

You can buy them at any bank. I have made it a habit of picking up some for any trip that I take and spending them on the road. They are uncommon, but they are money and they are still being printed every seven years or so. They are commonly given to youngsters these days by the "tooth fairy" under their pillow and in birthday cards to young kids by their grandparents. :) :) :)

P.S. I am in a CC1 for my cruise this September. I think that I will try this $20 in advance method and see what it nets me. :) :) :)

You can buy them at any bank. I have made it a habit of picking up some for any trip that I take and spending them on the road. They are uncommon, but they are money and they are still being printed every seven years or so.

Makes more sense to me than a $1 bill..

Makes more sense to me than a $1 bill..

Of course, $3.00 bills do raise comment.....:)

(Actually the Bahamas did have a perfectly real $3.00 bill years ago. I still have one as a keepsake.)

In reference to the $2 bill, they were always seen at the racetracks years ago when a $2 bet was very common. I don't know if they are still seen there or not.

In my birthday luncheon club, each member gives the birthday person $2 to cover her lunch cost (beats trying to divvy up the cost). One member always gives a $2 bill. When I receive one and go to spend it, I always get strange looks and they never have a place to put it in the cash drawer.

However, as stated by another poster, they are real money.

Doris

Archived