Tipping for concierge class breakfast

lawk

Is it customary to tip when breakfast is brought to a concierge class cabin? If so, what is an appropriate amount?

Yes, the same as you would for any other cabin. I figure about $2 for coffee and snacks, and $4-5 for a full breakfast, but I'm sure others will chime in.

Most of the time you room steward, or assistant steward, will deliver breakfast. If they deliver we don't tip immediately but do take it into account in determining how much above the recommended tip we'll tip at the end of the cruise. However we do keep a little cash handy and if someone else (other than room steward or assistant) delivers breakfast we usually tip a couple dollars.

We were in a CC class room on our recent Med cruise and used room service for breakfast each day. This is a very port-intensive cruise and the only way we could make our tour times was to use room service. We had the same room service waitress each day and she was wonderful. We called her "Sparkle Plenty" because she was so nice, friendly and cheerful first thing in the morning. We had two breakfast trays some mornings because they use a separate plate for each item you order and there were 3 of us in the room. We tipped $5 each time because they worked so hard bringing so much food. It was well worth it.:)

We have gratuities prepaid with our fare - what would be the right thing to do then for room service breakfast tipping? Would this be expected - we probably will tip more but is this necessary when tipping has already been paid.

We always travel CC class, and most days get room service. We do always tip, the amount certainly depends on what is being delivered. A complete breakfast for 2, or any other big meal we tip $5. If it is just snacks or drinks, then $1 or $2 seems to be sufficient. This was very politely suggested to us by the Director of Food Services on one of our cruises, and we sure do agree with it.

I keep a stack of $1 bills near the door (out of sight) and every time something is delivered for breakfast or snacks, I give a $2 tip. We do not order lunch or dinner in the cabin so I feel that is adequate. Tipping is a very personal thing.....so whatever you are comfortable with should be right for you....

At the risk of sounding cheap, I have to say that I think that this sort of service should be covered in the overall tipping policy. That is not to say that I would not leave an additional tip at the end of the cruise to my cabin Steward and his or her assistant ( I usually do), but if you are going to tip for every interaction between the ship's staff and yourself, then I don't see the point of the "gratuities" that you pay at the end of the cruise.

Just what I think

Hi

Did anyone else read in one of the other messages on this forum how, much they make an hour(porters, etc)?

It stated in this email that they are starting to put signs up that tipping is not necessary?

In the email from the office of one who knows how much they get paid, they said these guys are paid an hourly wage of $40.00 -$60.00 an hour, depends on how long they have been with the company.

So did anyone else read what I did just to make sure I did read it correct?

Pom

At the risk of sounding cheap, I have to say that I think that this sort of service should be covered in the overall tipping policy. That is not to say that I would not leave an additional tip at the end of the cruise to my cabin Steward and his or her assistant ( I usually do), but if you are going to tip for every interaction between the ship's staff and yourself, then I don't see the point of the "gratuities" that you pay at the end of the cruise.

Just what I think

Not trying to beat on you here, but in my experience the person delivering the breakfast is usually NOT the steward or assistant. And this service (to answer an earlier post) is not included in the auto tip. That's why I tip separately.

But as always, tipping is personal, and you have to do what you think right.

Not trying to beat on you here, but in my experience the person delivering the breakfast is usually NOT the steward or assistant. And this service (to answer an earlier post) is not included in the auto tip. That's why I tip separately.

I agree. Our CC breakfast has never been delivered by our cabin steward. We always tip the person who brings it.

Hi

Did anyone else read in one of the other messages on this forum how, much they make an hour(porters, etc)?

It stated in this email that they are starting to put signs up that tipping is not necessary?

In the email from the office of one who knows how much they get paid, they said these guys are paid an hourly wage of $40.00 -$60.00 an hour, depends on how long they have been with the company.

Pom

I have no idea what you read but I can assure you that the person who delivers your breakfast is (a) not a porter and (b) is not being paid $40-$60 an hour.

Hi

pam quote]

Wow !!! What cruise lines are paying these wages ?

Hi

Pom

"In the email from the office of one who knows how much they get paid..."

I'd say in the faked email of someone who has no idea of what they're paid.

$40.00 an hour, with a 40 hour week and 52 weeks per year (that is, an onshore work schedule), comes to over $83,000.00 a year. I really doubt that's the case.

Hi

Pom

Not sure what you read but I suspect you're referring to the longshoremen who take your luggage when you arrive at the port. These are union workers cruiseline personnel.not

We always tip a $20 for the cabin steward at the introductions at the beginning of the cruise. We find this to be a very productive way od receiving service above our expectations including nightly champagne in CC1 class.

I prepayed our gratuities, but always tipped extra for room service & concierge class breakfast. On occasion our room steward delivered the food but generally it was someone else - even when it was the steward I tipped at that time. I also tipped when he did extra work like shine shoes, etc. We disembarked a day early, and it was easier than having to get extra cash at a point when I was busy enough packing up.

But we've always been in a suite or CC class and have found that the same attendant (or butler) brings our breakfasts.

Regular room service though is a different person most of the time and we always tip them when they deliver. Usually $2-$5 depending on what they've brought.

We always tip a $20 for the cabin steward at the introductions at the beginning of the cruise. We find this to be a very productive way od receiving service above our expectations including nightly champagne in CC1 class.

Do you think the stewards think you are "buying them off"? I like the idea of nightly champagne... do you think this extra, early tipping would achieve that?

Hi

Pom

The person that wrote these hourly wages is completely wrong, wrong, wrong.

I have done work on cruise ships and the waiters and stewards earn $50.00 a month plus tips.

Yes that is all they earn but that is a lot in third world countries.

The only person on a cruise ship that earns $83,000.00 is the Captain and Chief Engineer ( Maybe)

I agree with the poster that said the Longshoremen earn $40.00 an hour because they are members of the Teamsters Union. One of the strongest Unions.

Archived