Majesty to Bermuda cabin suggestions?

criscruise

We've been wanting to cruise on NCL to Bermuda. Philly and Balt. do to location would not require us incurring airfare. That leaves us with travel on the Majesty. No balconies unless we go with a suite.

My concern is crossing the Atlantic and rough waters. All of the suites are Aft. Anyone have experience on this Majesty to Bermuda? Are we better off going with a mid-ship ocean view room? Seems a shame to be in port for 3 days and not get to enjoy breakfast on the balcony.

I would love any input.

Thanks.

There are NO balconies on the Majesty, and the suites are forward to mid-ship (owner's suites all the way forward, with the AB suites forward/mid).

What time of the year are you planning to go?

The Majesty is a great little ship, without the bells and whistles of the larger ships, but has a great crew!

There are NO balconies on the Majesty, and the suites are forward to mid-ship (owner's suites all the way forward, with the AB suites forward/mid).

What time of the year are you planning to go?

The Majesty is a great little ship, without the bells and whistles of the larger ships, but has a great crew!

Thanks for the reply. I totally forgot about even the suites not having balconies. I'm glad for that reminder. Ithink we'll take the extra time to drive to Boston, we're in Philly. We were on the Spirit before and liked her. Im sure she's even better since her make-over.

We're looking nat Aug-Oct. this year. Guess Ill just take the dramamine. ;O)

Thanks for the reply. I totally forgot about even the suites not having balconies. I'm glad for that reminder. Ithink we'll take the extra time to drive to Boston, we're in Philly. We were on the Spirit before and liked her. Im sure she's even better since her make-over.

You could take a much shorter drive to NY and cruise on the Dawn.

I agree. The Dawn is a fantastic ship with an excellent crew. We did the NY-Bermuda cruise on the Dawn last October and I highly recommend it. We also cruised the Majesty at New Year's a couple of years ago...and while (thank god) I don't get sea sick, and I did very much like the coziness of the Majesty...this little ship didn't handle the very large seas very well.

I look forward to the Spirit next year.

Thanks. I did see that. I'm just not as comfortable with the 2+ days at sea right off the bat. The NY trip shows it more at sea time.

We're not such a terrible drive. It sure beats paying airfare. It will be a nice change for us. That's always a big expense.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I agree. The Dawn is a fantastic ship with an excellent crew. We did the NY-Bermuda cruise on the Dawn last October and I highly recommend it. We also cruised the Majesty at New Year's a couple of years ago...and while (thank god) I don't get sea sick, and I did very much like the coziness of the Majesty...this little ship didn't handle the very large seas very well.

I look forward to the Spirit next year.

Ah, good point! I didn't even think of little ship vs. big waters! I've not had problems before, but I've been in more protected waters than the Atlantic. For some reason, I am concerned about the at sea time.

Thanks for the info.

Oh, BTW, we did sail on the Spirit back in 2004 before she was refurbished. We loved it! The crew was wonderful! It was our 1st cruise, but I've only heard good things.

Have fun!

Not saying this is a guarantee or anything BUT, we have sailed from Boston to Bermuda 7 times since 2002 and from NYC once. We only experienced rough seas during 3 "one way trips". So out of 16 "back and forths" only 3 were rough. We've actually experience more "glass-like" seas than rough.

Again not a guarantee that this will be your experience, but I wouldn't assume that sailing the Atlantic ocean automatically equals rough.

Not saying this is a guarantee or anything BUT, we have sailed from Boston to Bermuda 7 times since 2002 and from NYC once. We only experienced rough seas during 3 "one way trips". So out of 16 "back and forths" only 3 were rough. We've actually experience more "glass-like" seas than rough.

Again not a guarantee that this will be your experience, but I wouldn't assume that sailing the Atlantic ocean automatically equals rough.

That's almost our exact experience on almost as many cruises to BDA out of NY, NJ, Md. and PA.:)

We're 50/50 as far as rough seas goes. Boston to Bermuda on the Majesty twice (Sept/Oct) were horribly rough both ways, both times. Explorer from NJ (Oct) was a little rough but the ship is huge so we didn't feel it. The Spirit (June) from Boston was smooth both ways. I think the time of year you are in the Atlantic has a lot to do with your changes of getting rough or calm seas.

Keep in mind that the Majesty, Spirit, and Dawn all swap to Canada/NE cruises late August through September depending on the ship. I think that all eventually return to the Bermuda sailings in October before the repostioning. The NCL site will have to correct dates.

We were on the Majesty twice and chose deck 4, Mid ship, Cat DD. We really liked the location and the cabin.

Well, I am very glad to hear about the minimal rough seas. The few cruises I've been on were great. All smooth going, though none were on the Atlantic. Flew into Bermuda years ago. We are looking forward to going back and I can't think of a better way to see this beautiful island than docked on a cruise ship for a few days.

If you are worried about rough seas then you are wise to not take the Majesty. Although I'm sure that it is smooth at times, on our recent cruise it was extremely rough and there were a lot of sick people on board. She's small and the Atlantic, if it gets rough, is hard on the little lady. In fact, I don't say this to frighten anyone as the Majesty is perfectly sea worthy, but on our cruise, we were talking to a ships officer who said that they are constantly doing hull repair as the Atlantic is tough on her and she wasn't built to take that abuse. The Spirit or the Dawn should handle the seas much better if they do get rough.

CG

If you are worried about rough seas then you are wise to not take the Majesty. Although I'm sure that it is smooth at times, on our recent cruise it was extremely rough and there were a lot of sick people on board. She's small and the Atlantic, if it gets rough, is hard on the little lady. In fact, I don't say this to frighten anyone as the Majesty is perfectly sea worthy, but on our cruise, we were talking to a ships officer who said that they are constantly doing hull repair as the Atlantic is tough on her and she wasn't built to take that abuse. The Spirit or the Dawn should handle the seas much better if they do get rough.

CG

WOW this is making me nervous!! :( I do get seasick (I do have the patch) but I will be sailing on the majesty this sunday - I'm praying that the seas are smooth. This is our first cruise and I don't want not try it again if its too rough - if you've had motion sickness you know what I mean :eek: Keeping my fingers (and toes crossed that we have a smooth trip to and from Bermuda. Please send some good vibes our way.

WOW this is making me nervous!! :( I do get seasick (I do have the patch) but I will be sailing on the majesty this sunday - I'm praying that the seas are smooth. This is our first cruise and I don't want not try it again if its too rough - if you've had motion sickness you know what I mean :eek: Keeping my fingers (and toes crossed that we have a smooth trip to and from Bermuda. Please send some good vibes our way.

I'm sorry Heather, I did not mean to upset you. Please go with an open mind and assume that you will have smooth sailing and not get sick. I'm not one to say that seasickness is in your head but I do believe you are more prone to get it if you worry about it too much.

We were on the Majesty the week that the weather in Bermuda was horrible. In fact, we were delayed in getting to St. George by one day because the wind was too strong for the ship to get through the cut. So our rough seas could very well be contributed to just lousy weather.

I'm sure you will be fine and have a wonderful trip...wish I were going back!

CG

I'm sorry Heather, I did not mean to upset you. Please go with an open mind and assume that you will have smooth sailing and not get sick. I'm not one to say that seasickness is in your head but I do believe you are more prone to get it if you worry about it too much.

We were on the Majesty the week that the weather in Bermuda was horrible. In fact, we were delayed in getting to St. George by one day because the wind was too strong for the ship to get through the cut. So our rough seas could very well be contributed to just lousy weather.

I'm sure you will be fine and have a wonderful trip...wish I were going back!

CG

Since I have the patch I think I'll be fine. I tried going on a ride at disney thinking I'll be fine - then unfortunately barely made if off the ride before tossing my cookies - I can't even watch my kids on some rides. Hard to believe that I use to LOVE the spinning rides - guess I'm just getting old :eek: I did put the patch on for dinsey another time and did good on the rides would just get a headache. So hopefully with the patch I'll be fine; just getting a little nervous - I know we will love Bermuda and I figure since thre was such bad weather in Bermuda recently its going to be GREAT when we are there! :D

Since I have the patch I think I'll be fine. I tried going on a ride at disney thinking I'll be fine - then unfortunately barely made if off the ride before tossing my cookies - I can't even watch my kids on some rides. Hard to believe that I use to LOVE the spinning rides - guess I'm just getting old :eek: I did put the patch on for dinsey another time and did good on the rides would just get a headache. So hopefully with the patch I'll be fine; just getting a little nervous - I know we will love Bermuda and I figure since thre was such bad weather in Bermuda recently its going to be GREAT when we are there! :D

heather, now that's the way to think, positive!!! ;)

I'm going to be fine, I'm going to be fine, I'm going to be fine!!! :D

RELAX and enjoy your first cruise.

You may be surprised. motion sickness in a vehicle or carnival type ride is much different than being on a huge cruise ship which does not make the same quick moves! Hopefully you will be totally at ease.

I've always heard that keeping your eyes on the horizon is the answer to sea sickness (therefore lying down doesn't help). Some medical person tell us!

I was on the same cruise as cruisingram. It was rough going.. not so much coming back. We took our Bonine and didn't get sick at all. (Just slept a little more than we wanted to). The ocean was choppy so there was plenty of rocking motion on the ship. I think that helped us sleep too. There were lots of sick people on the ship that week. Barf bags were plentiful in all public areas. Thank goodness I didn't see anyone get sick... it would have been all over for me!:eek:

I've found that Dramamine has a 'less-drowsy formula' that works well for me without sleeping through the trip. Of course, I don't recommend taking this on top of the medicated patch...

On a rough sailing from NYC to Bermuda in late August years ago (threading hurricanes) I also used those accupressure wrist bands. Not sure of the science of it but I was determined not to get sick on my vacation and was successful!

You may be surprised. motion sickness in a vehicle or carnival type ride is much different than being on a huge cruise ship which does not make the same quick moves! Hopefully you will be totally at ease.

I've always heard that keeping your eyes on the horizon is the answer to sea sickness (therefore lying down doesn't help). Some medical person tell us!

Thanks unfortunately I was on the cape may lewes ferry (I know not nearly as big as this ship) and I was soooo sick - I did the horizon thing - well let me tell you didn't work at all. But when I go on a small boat don't get sick go figure. :rolleyes:

I know the patch is really going to work :D and we'll be docked in Bermuda for 3 days -so that will be great. That is why we decided on this cruise because we are docked for so long. We are really looking forward to this and seeing Bermuda - my son is counting the hours!

Heather, I'll be thinking of you as you head out to Bermuda tomorrow, with fingers crossed for calm seas. I'm sailing on the Majesty in October and admit to being a little apprehensive too. The best part about these cruises is the time at sea is minimal and you get all that time in Bermuda. It sounds great and I'm sure it'll all be worth it. I hope you'll post on your return and let us know how you made out!! Hope you have a wonderful vacation!

Archived