New Years Cruise - DCL Magic v. Carnival Inspiration

riggins

Hi Everyone-

We're currently booked on the DCL Magic for a 7-nt Western Caribbean cruise over the New Years holiday. I booked this cruise over a year and half ago and I'm trying to decide if this is really what we want to do. We've sailed DCL 5 times over the past 3 1/2 years, so we know what to expect and we generally really like DCL. On the flipside, we've also seen the shows, done the activites, and my daughters (6 and 8) really don't care about the characters anymore. So, I'm trying to decide if its worth the cost to stick with DCL.

So, I've been searching for other alternatives and the only thing that is catching my eye is the 5-night on the Carnival Inspiration out of Tampa. It goes to Cozumel and Grand Cayman, we like the idea of Water Works, and my kids would be in the same age group in the kids club. We'd also save about $2500 by switching. But I recognize that this is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. We can afford to stick with DCL, but $2500 goes a long way towards next years vacation budget. We've never sailed Carnival, so I don't know what to expect.

So what do you guys think? Will the New Year's holiday attract a big party crowd to the Inspiration? How does the Inspiration stack up against DCL?

Thanks!

Leslie

I've been on both, and no way, now how, will the Inspiration "live up" to the Magic. Most importantly, there will be no fireworks. And, the Inspiration is an old ship.

So...

You could save that money and take an additional cruise, but, will you really be having fun on the lesser ship?

CeleBrat

Yeah going from a Disney Ship to an Older Carnival one is going to be quite the change for everyone in your party.

What about any Royal Caribbean Options? Sounds like your kids may be ready to start enjoying some of the activities on their larger ships? And it's got to be cheaper than Disney!

The Inspiration was our first Carnival Cruise after cruising on the Wonder and Magic. We had a blast. Our kids had grown out of the Disney characters too and were ready for something different. They just love cruising. Just make sure you don't go expecting the Disney quality shows and food as you are not paying for it and you will not receive it. You do get what you pay for. We were very happy with what we got. It was good but not exceptional as Disney was. Personally I can't see paying the extra for Disney now. Especially since the kids are older and don't get as much out of it. They have had just as much fun on Carnival and NCL.

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate everyone's insight!

I looked at the Carnvial Dream, but really don't like the itinerary and we'd only save about $500 off what we've got booked with DCL (we booked on the day the dates were released back in 2007 with a 10% onboard booking discount and $400 OBC, so we got a good deal). I also looked at RC Freedom of the Seas, but its more expensive than what we've got on the Magic (about $1500 more). There are a few options out of Miami, but I can drive to Port Canaveral or Tampa, so when I add the price of airfare, most of the stuff from Miami is just as much or more than my DCL cruise. I guess I should be thrilled with what I'm paying and stop searching for a better bargain! ;) We sailed to Alaska this summer and the trip just kept getting less and less expensive as rates plummeted along with the economy. I got spoiled and should know better than to expect the same thing over the New Year's holiday!

It really all depends on what you like to do on the cruise. Ive never been on the Magic so i cant compare but have been on the Inspiration 4 times as well as the larger carnival ships, RCCL ships and NCL ships. The Inspiration is smaller but the waterworks is great for older kids, large spiral slide, fast racing slides. The pool is small and there is only one. There is no supper club. The food is good in the dining room and lido deck buffet. They have a soft serve ice cream machine and pizza all day also. There is a good deli for sandwiches and a sushi bar open in the evenings. The shows are OK. Not like Disney but a few broadway type shows with costumes, music etc, a magic show, a comedy show, talent show. Its a smaller ship so there are less people, less crowds in meal areas. We were on the Carnival Liberty for new years and will be on the miracle this year. There are not fireworks but there is a huge deck party witha live band, confetti, party favors, ship lights will blink and the horn sounds at new years. It was a great time. There was a special menu for dinner and free champaigne at the party and when you boarded. If the price is right, try it. You may be able to find videos of the new years celebration on utube, google it and see if it meets your expectations.

Archived