Early Seating/ Help me out here

kwajgirl

I like the early seating. I never feel rushed to get ready after an excursion day and there are always 2-3 of us in the cabin. I like to eat an early dinner and get it out of the way. Then I can go find a band, a show, a piano and have a drink and people watch or shop without checking my watch. Eating late makes me gain weight and I sometimes get a headache if I wait too long to eat.

So the assumption that people without kids have no reason to go to Early Seating is off the mark.

We are also cruising with friends this time. They want early dining. We have never done early dining. This time we will. We think that we prefer late seating...but we will know for sure after this cruise.

I like reading all the reasons why early/late is better.

We usually prefer the early seating as well. That way we can stop for a leisurely coffee at the coffee bar after dinner, maybe take a photo or tow, and we are not missing any of the shows. I do check our shore return times before deciding which seating to request as well. We have 4 ports this time and are back on board at 4, 5, 5, and 6. If that 6 return makes us late to dinner and they don't want to seat us, we can either do room service or just eat at one of the fast food places that night. Usually they will accomodate you if you are a little bit late.

Just because you are two couples going on the cruise together doesn't mean you have to eat every meal together. If they want to eat early and you want to eat late, do so and plan to meet up somewhere later in the evening. That way neither couple feels like they are having to accomodate the other.

We usually prefer the early seating as well. That way we can stop for a leisurely coffee at the coffee bar after dinner, maybe take a photo or tow, and we are not missing any of the shows. I do check our shore return times before deciding which seating to request as well. We have 4 ports this time and are back on board at 4, 5, 5, and 6. If that 6 return makes us late to dinner and they don't want to seat us, we can either do room service or just eat at one of the fast food places that night. Usually they will accomodate you if you are a little bit late.

It will be nice to have the rest of the evening to play after early seating. Maybe I will not be so full that I can actually enjoy a few drinks before bed. Oh who am I kidding.... I will just have an excuse to eat again. I will be hungry before bed. late night snacks are always fun.

We enjoy staying up late on our cruises, whether we have the kids with us or not. That being said, we tried late seating once and HATED it. We usually eat lunch at noon, so by 6 we are definitely ready to eat. We can always grab some pizza or order room service later at night if we get hungry again. I find there is NOTHING to do on board between 5 and 8 PM, so with late seating you have a lot of dead time in there where all there is to do is wait to eat. With early seating, you eat during that dead time, then after dinner other things are beginning to happen around the ship - karaoke, the shows in the main lounge, and other entertainment options. In addition, even if the hot tubs close at 10 PM, you still have time to hop into one after early seating dinner without feeling rushed. I don't think we'll ever do late seating again. If we go on a cruise with long port days in the future, we'll choose anytime dining if it's available, so that we won't miss dinner if we're in port until late evening. Thus far, we have never had any trouble making it to 6 PM dinner after a full day in port.

My husband and I are going on the fascination with another couple. They are absolutely stuck on having the early seating for dinner. With out kids I can not think of one good reason to eat early. It seems like we will be rushed to get to dinner. I can't for the life of me imagine eating breakfast lunch and dinner all before six o'clock. We are both couples that would tend to stay up late and sleep in........ Please help me out here. What am I missing???

You aren't missing anything. If you wish to eat with your friends then eat early. If you don't mind eating without them then plan on the late seating. By the way, if you eat at the early seating you won't be finished too much before 7:30.

This is your vacation too. You could eat early or late. Remember, if you get hungry there is a 24 hour resturant and room service.

Do they offer anytime dining on that particular ship? If so that would solve your problem. You can go to the dining room anytime and get seated together. My friend and I did this on our last cruise and it worked out great. We went to dinner at 7:00 one night 8:30 another, etc. We got seated right away. I love this option. They also ask if you mind dining with others. You can eat alone or with others your choice.

Candi

Do they offer anytime dining on that particular ship? If so that would solve your problem. You can go to the dining room anytime and get seated together. My friend and I did this on our last cruise and it worked out great. We went to dinner at 7:00 one night 8:30 another, etc. We got seated right away. I love this option. They also ask if you mind dining with others. You can eat alone or with others your choice.

Candi

No anytime dining yet on the fascination. That would solve our problems (if you can call it a problem) We are going to have a ball no matter what.

Thanks to all that answered. I think that having the extra time in the evening will be great. Now I am even more excited.

If your ship offers anytime dining, that's what I would pick again. We got the same waiter on all but two nights.

It gives you the flexibility to arrange your dinner around your day, instead of arranging your day around your dinner. Our group of six loved it.

On two of our port days we didn't sail until 6:00. Last time on Conquest we had 5:45 dining which meant we had to all be on the ship no later than about 4:15 - 4:30 for all three of us to shower and dress for dinner.

Also, the sushi bar was only open from 5:00-7:00 last time, so we never got any.

When you get your daily capers and mark all of the activities that you wish to participate in, you can decide at that time if an early or late dinner will work.

We never waited more than 2 minutes for a table each night. Will definitely stick with the Anytime Dining on all future cruises. Keeps my day less stressful.

You have not posted when you cruise is. It looks like Fascination isn't doing ANYTIME until February 2010. I personally did not like late dining. We did for the first time last cruise to accommodate someone in our group who likes because they like to come back late from shore, rest, shower, etc. I'm snacking at 3 when I get back so I'm still ready for early dinner. BUT, I also have a child in Circle C who misses activities with Late dining so Families need Early dining.

Maybe get ahold of recent Capers for your itinerary and show your friend what is going on at 4-6 to eat - Free sushi, High Tea, Captains Party - then explain with Shore Excursions why you like dinner at 8. Makes sense if you have no kids.

We have done both and wife prefers the later dinner time. I'm easy so either one doesn't matter much to me, but if you tend to stay up late then the later time may be your best option. The early dinner does make you feel rushed sometimes. Too bad they don't have a 7pm dinner in the main dining room. I think that would be perfect. Have a great cruise.

I agree. I think 7pm would be a perfect time.:)

Archived