What do you do for dinner the first night back home?

Roadtripster

Stand in front of the completly empty fridge... stare for about 10 minutes... call the wife into the kitchen and have her stare into the empty fridge for 10 minutes... ask each other back and forth for another 10... what do you want, I don't know, what do you want, I don't know, what do you want...??? and so on... Go back, open empty fridge again hoping something magically appears. When nothing does, go to pantry and repeat.

We have had to fly from all of our previous cruises so a snack in the airport during a lay over holds off the rumbles for a bit. This next trip will be our first 'drive to' cruise, 5 hours, so we will most likely eat before we leave Baltimore, with family.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We stop at a restaurant and eat. I have to slowly acclimate myself into having to cook, clean up, etc. I usually have a frozen something in the freezer that I can throw into the microwave or oven the following day. Breakfast is always horrible. No groceries. No milk, no fruit, a box of stale pop tarts or dry stale cereal for breakfast followed by an anti-depressant (LOL). By dinnertime, I'm saying, "...if I was on the ship, a waiter would be helping me into my chair at the dinner table right now..." This syndrome usually only lasts for about a week (LOL).

• 4 weeks later...

I am a former crew member, so coming home after months of having all my meals made for me was a big does of reality. I was a youth counselor so I had the privilege of being allowed up in any of the restaurants on the ship so I got to eat some pretty good meals a few nights per week.

Luckily I live with my parents so they would cook dinner for me at night, but as far as breakfast and lunch were concerned... I really miss being able to run to the crew mess, grab some bacon, eggs and toast from the buffet with a glass of juice, and then run up to work in the Kid's Club!

• 2 weeks later...

About a week before we cruise, I usually make a pot of spaghetti sauce - industrial size is the only way I know how to make it. So we put it in gladware and freeze it. When we get home all we have to do is stop at the grocery store to pick up perishables we threw away prior to leaving, throw a container of sauce in the microwave and boil a pot of water. Its a nice meal with no work involved. It generally takes us a couple of days to get back to the swing of things, so having an easy out the first night home is a godsend.

Open the frig, stare at the empty shelves, go to the pantry, state at the empty shelves, watch the dog eat and wonder why she can't cook, then order a pizza! After all that, I go to the bedroom and wonder why the bed hasn't been turned down, and where the mints ar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...

Tasty Garden (SoCal chain serving Hong Kong-style comfort food-including some "North American" and "European" dishes.). A lot of the locations are open past ten. (The location at Atlantic Times Square in Monterey Park is open until 4AM FYI LA-area vampires.)

Or ramen.

Edited by midlevel_curator