Just back from Viking Grand European Voyge

loum140

:) Sounds like a great trip :)

Which ship were you on?

What was the service and food like?

I'm interested because I'll be on the Viking Pride in December from Vienna to Nuremberg with my teenage daughter.

All the best,

Moira

We were on the Viking Spirit. The food was great and the service was outstanding. There's a couple of new innovations since we last sailed with Viking: a light lunch buffet option served in the lounge, headsets for tours and a choice of several different included tours -- regular (walking/bus), relaxed (slower pace), highlights (shorter with more free time) and enhanced (additional sights). Also, free 24/7 iced water and tea and hot beverages -- coffee, tea, cocoa, mochachino, cappucino, cafe au lait available near the reception desk. I'm sure you'll both enjoy your trip. Happy sailing! Marsha

We were on the Viking Spirit. The food was great and the service was outstanding. There's a couple of new innovations since we last sailed with Viking: a light lunch buffet option served in the lounge, headsets for tours and a choice of several different included tours -- regular (walking/bus), relaxed (slower pace), highlights (shorter with more free time) and enhanced (additional sights). Also, free 24/7 iced water and tea and hot beverages -- coffee, tea, cocoa, mochachino, cappucino, cafe au lait available near the reception desk. I'm sure you'll both enjoy your trip. Happy sailing! Marsha

We are on the Spirit next month Amsterdam to Budapest. Can't wait. What cabin did you have? We are in a category C cabin. Also looking back what would you suggest is a must see/must do?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Wally

Wallygator: We were in a category B. A, B, and C's are the same size and configuration, the only differences are that A & B's have windows that open and are somewhat higher above the water line than C's. Frankly, I only opened the window a few times to take a quick photo of something interesting as we were sailing past and for a quick check of the temperature in the a.m. Tiny bugs would fly in if it were left open too long. One tip -- if you're packing several pairs of trousers/shorts and/or skirts, you might want to bring along some of those giveaway plastic clip hangers from the chain stores. Viking provides lovely wooden hangers but I had to stack 3 of our shirts/jackets on each one, making it very hard to see what slacks were hanging underneath! There's lots of drawer and shelf space for folded items. And the atmosphere is truly "casual" -- no need for fancy duds.

Spirit had the most marvelous Program Director, Michael, and a singing Maitre 'D, Jerry, who made the daily briefings so much fun it was like a pre-dinner floor show. (You'll see what I mean about the singing during some of the special on-board activities)

In looking back at my photo's (550!!) there were many don't-miss moments on each day's tour not to mention sailing past the Castles on the Rhine. We had been to several of the cities before (Amsterdam, Cologne, Rothenburg, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest), so took most of the beauty there in stride. However, I must say that I was totally unprepared for the Bishop's Residence in Wurzberg. It was mind boggling. Also, the Melk Abbey.

On board activities included sausage, beer, cheese, special coffee, strudel tastings, etc. and a glass-blowing demonstration by a true artist. Our days were filled with a mix of wonder and laughter.

Also -- there's a staff member, Stephanie, who takes lots of pictures both on board and off of the sights and the passengers (us) enjoying them. The 12 (or 12.50?) euro price for her photo CD at the end of the trip is well worth it.

I wish you smooth sailing and great weather! Marsha

• 4 weeks later...

We are very interested in a Viking cruise. They are advertising 2 for 1 deals next spring. Cruises of 8 days start around $1300. Would this be per person or per cabin? They advertise discounted air. Did you book your air through them?

the prices are per person. We booked our own air because we wanted the best flight times. Once we had received the 2 for 1 notice the airfare was not a deciding factor. Only two days before we were on tour with our TA and told her we wanted this trip but $7,000 per person was too much. We arrived home to find the 2 for 1 in our mail

Archived