Carnival to make a bid for Royal?

Experts???? Mickey Arison, Bobby Dickinson, Bubbles the Clown, Henry Hobo. Those are some good experts.;)

Bob Dickinson retired......but he was an integral part of the growth of Carnival from the 1970's onward......he is an expert...

Arison? So, you question the expertise of the man who managed, in a very short time, to acquire most of the major cruise ships in the world...and make a profit while doing it?

Everybody laughed at Arison and his father when they decided to go into the cruising business.....with their one little ship, Mardi Gras...that hung up on a sand bar on it's maiden voyage. At that time, only the wealthy cruised and there were only "luxury" liners, many with "classes"...and they all pooh-poohed the upstart Carnival Cruise Line.

Well, Carnival now owns ALL of them......

I can't vouch for Henry Hobo or Bubbles, however. Others would probably be more in touch with them.

Bob Dickinson retired......but he was an integral part of the growth of Carnival from the 1970's onward......he is an expert...

I believe the point was that these people are partial to Carnival. It was a discussion of "experts" saying one cruise line was better than another' date=' not about how savvy the businessmen were.

Personally, I believe Carnival [b']Corp[/b] is a great industry based on their wealth and success. Coincidently, Carnival Cruise Line ranks near the bottom of my list (1 above NCL) of cruise lines that I enjoy.

So the argument that there are supposedly "experts" saying a cruise line is better than another is B.S. It's up to each and every one of us to decide with cruise line is better for us.

What I still want to know is has anyone ever been able to confirm that the article suggesting an RCI buyout by Carnival has any validity? I haven't found anything anywhere else about such a potential buyout.

My hope, for what it is worth, is that no such buyout is being considered and will never materialize.

I'm not the one confused - you yourself said you've had the same opinion since the announcement was made. That in itself is premature, or immature if you'd rather. When you've formed an opinion of the viability of a venture that hasn't even begun (first paid sailing), it is both. Simply making a judgement based on emotion and nothing else is silly, unless your 4 years old.

Could be....

But, I have the cruising history to be able to make an "educated" guess which is about all anyone can make at this time anyway......

What I still want to know is has anyone ever been able to confirm that the article suggesting an RCI buyout by Carnival has any validity? I haven't found anything anywhere else about such a potential buyout.

My hope, for what it is worth, is that no such buyout is being considered and will never materialize.

No - the article (which was rapidly removed) was a mistake and has zero validity.

You're kidding' date=' right?

Oasis and Allure are two of the biggest mistakes Royal ever made. While Oasis might enjoy a few good seasons because of peoples curiosity...no serious cruiser would do it more than once. Not many cruise vets are interesting in a floating shopping mall/amusement park....filled with "for-fee" venues.

Perhaps Dubai will buy 'em and dock them somewhere for a hotel resort.... They sure have nothing to do with cruising..other than that they float.[/quote']

Sorry pal, this old cruiser will cruise more than once on the Oasis, Allure, the size to me IS exciting! Our vacation this year was to Hersheypark, not bad for an old fart. Some people are just mentally old and hate change, not me. :rolleyes:

Serious question G'ma.....Have you EVER posted to a thread that you didn't have half the members on it hating you??? Just askin..... :p

SIGH!!!!

I don't use enough flowery verbs and adjectives, I guess.....nor do I fall prey to every sad story, implied injustice, complainer. I don't buy into "they are out to get me and my money" theories, or "it's my vacation and I can do what I want" statements, etc.

I can't seem to get the point across that it's impossible to hate an inanimate object and, therefore, I don't hate Oasis.....I simply think it's a huge folly that's going to cause a lot of problems forRCCL...and shove them closer to bankruptcy.....

It's equally impossible to hate a company.......therefore, I don't hate RCCL....I've cruised on them many, many times......I simply think that I can find a better cruise experience elsewhere.

Anyway, it's of no matter to me..... CC isn't my life, these are not my friends. We are all participants in an open forum where we are free to discuss, debate, disagree. It's fun...so I say "blaze away". It can't be that bad or I'd be on everyones "ignore" list and there'd never be any responses at all.........HA!!!!

There are a few others on here who are likewise plain spoken, to-the-point, sometimes blunt....so, I'm in good company.

Must be a Jersey thing.

And this thread shows just how much you think of your fellow Carnies.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1018042

Doesn't seem like you're a popular person over there either. Pigs???? Wow!!!!:eek:

Well, if you bothered to read the whole thread you would be more into the discussion that just my posts.

And, it's not my "fellow" cruisers.....it's the dolts and dumbos who act like they've never been out of Poughkeepsie in their lives that I object to.

And, those folks are not relegated to Carnival.... I've seen plenty on every cruiseline I've ever been on except Cunard a long time ago.......

The phrase, by the way, was "pigs at the trough". They are highly recognizeable.

Jumbies mentors maybe

He's very young....but, he's doing his best to communicate with limited grasp of the subject matter.

Certainly knows where the exclamation point is on the keyboard, though...:D

Sorry pal, this old cruiser will cruise more than once on the Oasis, Allure, the size to me IS exciting! Our vacation this year was to Hersheypark, not bad for an old fart. Some people are just mentally old and hate change, not me. :rolleyes:

You go, girl.

I'll continue to cruise on ships......

For those of us reading from left field, you have an odd way of participating in a point/counterpoint.

I did actually click the link and read this. It kind of confirmed to me how similar the gripes are with loyals to RCI and CCL. Both are to some degree up in arms about the cutbacks and loss of perks. Both have groups of long time cruisers who are dicouraged by the continued dilution of the cruise experience by both the cruise line's own changes and by the degradation in behavior of the passengers (SOME passengers, not ALL). You could almost switch the names of the ships and cruise lines and swap the threads between the RCI and CCL boards and it would be hard to tell the difference. It more or less confrims that the two lines are more similar than different. We have always cruise RCI, but a CCL cruise is not out of the question.

As for the takeover rumor, I am in wait & see mode. Gonzo has all his chips on the table that it is totally false. I have not gone "all in" against that just yet, but it think there may be a hint of truth in there somewhere. There MAY have been a premature leak of some very preliminary discssions on the subject. The fact that it went public prematurely may have squashed the chances of any formal offers being exchanged. The original source of the artical is a normally credible publication versus just a rumor on a blog or forum. The fact that it was withdrawn does not necessarily mean that it was false, it just means that someone (CCL?) objected and the publication obliged without a fight. Gonzo does have it correct in that premature disclosure or innuendo on pending deals this big can cause problems with the stocks of both companies. I saw so many mergers and aquisitions while in the banking industry over the past 15 years (many of them turned out to be horrible deals for all involved) that I am slow to rule out anything. AGAIN, not saying it will happen - just saying that nothing is impossible.

I did actually click the link and read this. It kind of confirmed to me how similar the gripes are with loyals to RCI and CCL. Both are to some degree up in arms about the cutbacks and loss of perks. Both have groups of long time cruisers who are dicouraged by the continued dilution of the cruise experience by both the cruise line's own changes and by the degradation in behavior of the passengers (SOME passengers, not ALL). You could almost switch the names of the ships and cruise lines and swap the threads between the RCI and CCL boards and it would be hard to tell the difference. It more or less confrims that the two lines are more similar than different. We have always cruise RCI, but a CCL cruise is not out of the question.

How about we make a little bet? I bet that Royal Caribbean will start offering space cruises, you bet that CCL acquires RCL. Whichever happens first will determine the winner. I will even give you 5 to 1 odds.

I just hope that the Jone's act won't preclude me from boarding on the moon and debarking on Mars.

How about we make a little bet? I bet that Royal Caribbean will start offering space cruises, you bet that CCL acquires RCL. Whichever happens first will determine the winner. I will even give you 5 to 1 odds.

I just hope that the Jone's act won't preclude me from boarding on the moon and debarking on Mars.

Huh? I'm not sure what this has to to with the post you were rersponding to but I'll take that bet and give you 100 to 1 odds

The Carnival people are up in arms that free booze has been removed from the Captain's welcome-back party.

With all the people falling off Carnival ships recently, when will they match RCI and forbid booze smuggling? I still think that RCI decision came from the Smith (honeymooner) case.

The Carnival people are up in arms that free booze has been removed from the Captain's welcome-back party.

With all the people falling off Carnival ships recently, when will they match RCI and forbid booze smuggling? I still think that RCI decision came from the Smith (honeymooner) case.

Just like the Diamond Club removal on Royal.My last sailing on RCCL you had to fight thru a crowd of 3000 on the Promanade for free sparkling wine.Hardly worth it

On that betI will cover any amount you wish to wager. You name the amount. Remember, it will be in writing in public view and I will hold you to it. I used a poker analogy. You offerered up a wager. If you make a bet, I am taking you seriously. I was having a simple discussion of the issue with all due respect to your opinions. Make no mistake, your opinions are neither better nor more accurate than ayone elses & you have just as much right to express them as anyone else - no more no less.

Again, the merger/aquisition may never happen. But to say that RCI is five times more likely to offer cruises to outer space than for two large corporations to merge is a bit on the extreme side. I would stop and think about how absurd space cruises are, given current technology, before you let your ego write a check your wallet cannot cash.:rolleyes:

On the other hand, I could use the money. My 401k is mostly in bank stocks.:(

Agreed, the G W Smith case and then the young guy that brought a bunch of booze aboard Mariner. He was refused service at two bars and went to his room and continued to drink. He wound up jumping overboard from deck 4. The cameras caught it. We were on board a week or two later and talked to one of the bartenders that had refused to serve him. She was really shook up about it and said that the company took it very seriously. They were really leaning on the bar tenders to try to control over consumption, contrary to what the news media may say.

Like DC20C says, the grocery store "champagne" that RCI serves at the captains gala is pretty rough. We usually take one and walk around & sip, but that is about all. Years ago, they had several types of drinks to choose from including a few cocktails. I do not recall anyone getting out of hand, but it was a different crowd in those days. We were in our 30's and were considered young. I guess it was a more mature group. Now that I am older, I realize that overindulging just makes me go to sleep....

Archived