Tipping private tour operators

fourcats

You say you are using RomeInALimo. Do you mean RomeInLimo? (without the "a"). We used them for our 3 Italy tours Oct. 07 and loved them. I did my calculations ahead of time to make sure I brought the right amount of money and figured amounts for each tour including 10% and 15% tips so I would have an option at the end based on the level of service without having to do math on my vacation. It turns out, we were so amazed with their engaging, witty, fun, and safe tours we ended up giving closer to 20% tips to all three different tour guides. It was an expensive vacation to begin with and I had a strict budget, but I felt they deserved the extra since each of them gave us tours above our expectations. We used other tour companies in our ports outside of Italy and they just weren't as good so we gave them 10% & 15% as planned.

We will be returning this fall and will be booking our Italy tours again with RomeInLimo.com. They were marvelous and satisfied our every wish giving us a vacation we will never forget!

So basically my advice would be to figure out totals ahead of time based on different tip amounts and if the service is standard I'd give 10%, if better than standard I'd give 15%, and if it is exceptional I'd have a with 20% added and go from there. At least the math part will be figured out ahead of time and you can simply pay based on the service without the guess work.

Good luck and have fun!

You will love RomeInLimo. Janie and Duman are the best! We had a wonderful tour with them last November.

Yes, the typical tip in Europe is 10%. Sadly, some do not tip at all. We felt that they went over and beyond to accomodate our group of 16 and tipped as we would here in the States 20%.

Enjoy Italy!

If they give you MORE than you think you've paid for, tip them. If it's not a great tour, don't tip....it's totally up to you.

They aren't paid like waitstaff, so they're not dependant on tips to survive, although they do appreciate tips!

If they give you MORE than you think you've paid for, tip them. If it's not a great tour, don't tip....it's totally up to you.

They aren't paid like waitstaff, so they're not dependant on tips to survive, although they do appreciate tips!

I agree with you, Lois. I think for a driver/guide, that we've paid generously for, to get an additional 20% tip they'd have to give me a foot massage at each stop :D

Most countries in Europe do not use tips to supplement low pay as here in the states. They have "inherited" our cultural practice through US tourists and I am sure they are all VERY happy about it! :)

If you tip, do it on your terms. Not on what someone else chooses as being "correct". ;) It is purely subjective.

Archived