Mariner alcohol

Are you old enough to remember Gilligan's Island?

Just sit right back & you’ll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip

That started from this tropic port aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailing man, The skipper brave & sure.

Five passengers set sail that day for a three hour tour,

A three hour tour

The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed,

If not for the courage of the fearless crew

The Minnow would be lost,

The Minnow would be lost.

The ship's a-ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle

With Gilligan,

The Skipper too,

The millionaire and his wife,

The movie star

And the rest.

The Professor and Mary Ann,

Here on Gilligan's Isle.

That was GREAT Rally!

"Disaster" has many, many meanings. Some of the synonyms include mishap, misadventure, mess, flop, failure. My usage of the word would fit into some of these synonyms. IMO, a person going on the Mariner without knowing that it could be overcrowded. . . . that there is not enough supervision for 125+ children. . . . . and a few other items that I have mentioned (which come directly from posts from recent passengers), is in for a rude awakening

The Mariner is a beautiful ship. The suites are lovely -- the food is generally excellent (when the ship is not overcrowded) -- the service is wonderful (again, when the staff is not overstressed with too many passengers). I checked the next few Alaska sailings and they are not full. Hopefully they will not have as many "incidents".

Maybe we can get back on topic:confused:

... Here on Gilligan's Isle.

Well, yes we are. I can see Gilligan's Isle (Moku o Lo'e, aka Coconut Island, in Kaneohe Bay) out my living room window (although the Minnow has been gone for several years now).

I can also remember when I was a teen living in the same apartment building as Tina Louise in NYC back in the 60's and hanging out in the lobby hoping she'd walk through.

I think I need another drink (which gets us back on the original topic).

TC2,

I'm not sure why you think that Regent wont' be running the Kid's Sailing next summer. From the Regent website, it looks like every ship from about mid June to mid August will have kids sail for $399 to $599, which is probably less than 10% of the adult fare, and next summer includes the free tours for kids. It looks like Regent has decided to attract families for their summer sailings, which is fine, as long as everyone is aware of what to expect.

Back to the alcohol topic, maybe I need to start drinking more now for practice (to build up a tolerance for all the free drinks!)

Oh, come on! "Disasters"?! A disaster is, perhaps, a cancelled cruise, or missed ports of call due to mechanical problems. An injury to one teenager due to some out-of-control play -- which almost no one on the cruise witnessed or knew about -- is certainly unusual, but hardly a disaster. One rude passenger at reception? A table of kids on one cruise at dinner who, from most accounts, were a little loud but generally well-behaved? A passenger wearing jeans to dinner one night? Upgraded champagne in lounges but not offered in a cabin to one passenger who asked? These are not disasters! Some of this and other current threads have been enjoyably filled with tongue-in-cheek good humor -- but let's not scare off new Regent cruisers looking for information by terming these few mostly-minor incidents "disasters."

Now, can we get back to which level of dress code allows sandals with socks for dinner?? ;)

-- Eric

First time Regent cruiser here...I'm still excited about our Alaskan cruise and nothing posted has scared me.

This will be our 4th cruise and they have all been great. The only problem that we've experienced was having a very large group on one of our cruises that took over most of the public areas. I've tried to find out if any large groups will be on our sailing (Aug. 19th), but the only one I found was a large gun group on another ship. No matter...we'll have fun!

First time Regent cruiser here...I'm still excited about our Alaskan cruise and nothing posted has scared me.

This will be our 4th cruise and they have all been great. The only problem that we've experienced was having a very large group on one of our cruises that took over most of the public areas. I've tried to find out if any large groups will be on our sailing (Aug. 19th), but the only one I found was a large gun group on another ship. No matter...we'll have fun!

We are also first time Regent customers, and I must admit I was very surprised to hear there would be so many children on board - had I known in advance I might have considered a later date. But the majority of posts indicate no problem with them. Rude people are always a risk at every age and socioeconomic level, just luck of the draw if you encounter them. (trying hard not to ask the obvious question of who is more comfortable with children vs a gun group :) .

TC2,

I'm not sure why you think that Regent wont' be running the Kid's Sailing next summer. From the Regent website, it looks like every ship from about mid June to mid August will have kids sail for $399 to $599, which is probably less than 10% of the adult fare, and next summer includes the free tours for kids. It looks like Regent has decided to attract families for their summer sailings, which is fine, as long as everyone is aware of what to expect.

Back to the alcohol topic, maybe I need to start drinking more now for practice (to build up a tolerance for all the free drinks!)

I understand that Regent is still trying to attract families (although it took them a while to put the lower fares for the kids on their website -- for a while it looked like they were not running the special). . . my concern for next year is that the Navigator will be in Alaska - a ship with very little public space. The Mariner has smaller suites and more public space than either the Voyager or the Navigator. They may be able to stuff an extra 50 or so passengers on the Mariner, but, it will be more difficult to do so on the Navigator (they will fit in the suites -- just not sure where they will fit in the restaurants). The computer area is small (too small), the library is tiny, there isn't a coffee area (except for the machine in the small Navigator lounge which is always full of people. The only large spaces they have is Gaileo's and the theater.

Okay -- it's 9:00 a.m. on the west coast -- time for a bloody mary (just to keep on topic):)

Oh, get in the spirit of things! Have a hot Chocolate Russion =)

Great idea -- will have that for dessert:D

Rally, to keep off subject, just a bit, what did you think of the Mariner -- compared to your cruises on the Voyager and Navigator? I'm interested in thoughts on the ship rather than the people (we've heard lots about that:-)

Great idea -- will have that for dessert:D

Rally, to keep off subject, just a bit, what did you think of the Mariner -- compared to your cruises on the Voyager and Navigator? I'm interested in thoughts on the ship rather than the people (we've heard lots about that:-)

We loved the ship (we loved the cruise for that matter.) Mariner is beautiful. There are obvious differences of course, and our preferences are personal to us. For example we prefer the layout of Voyager's Horizon Lounge, with it's spacious outside area, to Mariner's. We like the sep. tub and shower on Voyager. However, we spent 30 uninterrupted days on Voyager and it really became "home" to us, and only 7 days on Mariner (and those with two children) so it is difficult to give an objective comparison.

I don't think it is fair to compare Navigator with either Mariner or Voyager. Apples and oranges. Our first Regent cruise was on the PG and we LOVED IT! And then we cruised on Navigatgor and thought, "WOW! Now THIS is a ship!" And then we spent a month on Voyager and, well, Holly Molly!!! And then Mariner (under very different circumstances) and think it is wonderful. Maybe we just aren't too hard to please? Maybe, for us, any day cruising is better than any day doing anything else? =)

We are also first time Regent customers, and I must admit I was very surprised to hear there would be so many children on board - had I known in advance I might have considered a later date. But the majority of posts indicate no problem with them. Rude people are always a risk at every age and socioeconomic level, just luck of the draw if you encounter them. (trying hard not to ask the obvious question of who is more comfortable with children vs a gun group :) .

Kids or guns? I think the gun group was offering classes for kids, so that ship will get both!:D

Staying on topic...Does Wine count as my fruit serving for the day?

Kids or guns? I think the gun group was offering classes for kids, so that ship will get both!:D

Of course, and it is always best to get it out of the way early in the morning so it doesn't interfere with other nutrition =)

We loved the ship (we loved the cruise for that matter.) Mariner is beautiful. There are obvious differences of course, and our preferences are personal to us. For example we prefer the layout of Voyager's Horizon Lounge, with it's spacious outside area, to Mariner's. We like the sep. tub and shower on Voyager. However, we spent 30 uninterrupted days on Voyager and it really became "home" to us, and only 7 days on Mariner (and those with two children) so it is difficult to give an objective comparison.

I don't think it is fair to compare Navigator with either Mariner or Voyager. Apples and oranges. Our first Regent cruise was on the PG and we LOVED IT! And then we cruised on Navigatgor and thought, "WOW! Now THIS is a ship!" And then we spent a month on Voyager and, well, Holly Molly!!! And then Mariner (under very different circumstances) and think it is wonderful. Maybe we just aren't too hard to please? Maybe, for us, any day cruising is better than any day doing anything else? =)

I complete agree with your thoughts. Our first ship was the PG, then the Voyager, the Navigator and the Mariner. As much as I love the Navigator, nothing beats the Voyager in our book!

Hoosiermama: Wine definitely counts as ONE fruit serving per day. Remember, you need more than one to meet your daily requirement.

And don't forget the vegetables. Our new and improved Federal govenment guidelines call for a bloody mary and mimosa in the morning, followed by your choice of wine for lunch, a martini with olives pre dinner, more wine, and a glass of port. If you add dark chocolate also your heart health is fully covered. Optional is a white russian for the dairy group, a margarita for those requiring added salt intake to combat dehydratrion, or an addtional tutti-frutti concoction midafternoon.

Cheers!

Yes. The juice of approximately 126* grapes goes into a single glass of wine. And a serving of fruit is 1/2 cup, or about 20 grapes* -- so one glass of wine meets and exceeds the 5-fruit-servings-per-day requirement!

*Yes, I did do Google searches to pull up these facts. Clearly, I have not had nearly enough of my 'fruit' requirement yet today, or I wouldn't be doing this! ;)

-- Eric

Yes. The juice of approximately 126* grapes goes into a single glass of wine. And a serving of fruit is 1/2 cup, or about 20 grapes* -- so one glass of wine meets and exceeds the 5-fruit-servings-per-day requirement!

*Yes, I did do Google searches to pull up these facts. Clearly, I have not had nearly enough of my 'fruit' requirement yet today, or I wouldn't be doing this! ;)

-- Eric

Does having a slice of lemon in your gin and tonic help meet this requirement?

Speaking of which... cheers everybody!!

And don't forget the vegetables. Our new and improved Federal govenment guidelines call for a bloody mary and mimosa in the morning, followed by your choice of wine for lunch, a martini with olives pre dinner, more wine, and a glass of port. If you add dark chocolate also your heart health is fully covered. Optional is a white russian for the dairy group, a margarita for those requiring added salt intake to combat dehydratrion, or an addtional tutti-frutti concoction midafternoon.

Cheers!

A hot Chocolate Russian or two ought to satisfy the chocolate requirement.

A hot Chocolate Russian or two ought to satisfy the chocolate requirement.

It does satisfy the milk requirement (do they still have a milk requirement):confused: Really hope Regent is reading this and learning what their passengers need to have on board.

It does satisfy the milk requirement (do they still have a milk requirement):confused: Really hope Regent is reading this and learning what their passengers need to have on board.
I think they figured that out when they went "all-inclusive" =)

Archived