Issue w/Customs returning from Conquest

The same variety of thing was reported a week or so ago from Miami. I don't believe it's an isolated incident and I DO believe the OP.

It certainly seems like some folks in CBP have an agenda. I know that many higher ups were angry about the exception for closed loop cruises...

:rolleyes:

I did NOT say I DID NOT believe the OP.... just hoping they will return and possibly show us the paperwork so we all can see what is going on with the confusion here !

Perhaps more people would get passports if they would make them more affordable. When you have a family of 4-6 it can add up fast. They should offer discounted cost for the third and fourth passport for a family getting multiple passports. I know, that idea is like spittin in the wind:rolleyes:

.... about an 'enhanced' DL. I just have a regular one. The Customs official had to type in some things into his computer from my BC and DL and then get some kind of response (don't know what it was -- likely saying yes, I was alive and who I said I was), before he (unsmilingly) sent us on our way. I said (still trying to get on his 'good' side) "Well I sure am glad I was in the computer!"

He responded "You'd better be. Or y'all would still be here tonight trying to get in.."

IMO this was your stereo-type overzealous, undertrained employee. IMO you ought to at least write a concise, polite letter to Homeland Security (or whoever) indicating that all government documentation says this closed-loop cruise doesn't need a passport, yet you had this treatment. ken

IMO this was your stereo-type overzealous, undertrained employee. IMO you ought to at least write a concise, polite letter to Homeland Security (or whoever) indicating that all government documentation says this closed-loop cruise doesn't need a passport, yet you had this treatment. ken

I agree.... the treatment the OP got was ridiculous !

Thanks for sharing that document :D.... again the Gov't not advising properly or an uninformed offical !

there can also be a problem on duty free allowance. we ran into that problem returning from a cruise that included st thomas. we were told only one carton of cigs per person, after 26 cruises i knew what the duty free allowance was but was told only one. i did not argue but did check after we arrived home and i was right. kept a copt of allowances we passport

bia

It's funny--if you go to the website listed on the bottom of that flyer (getyouhome.gov), you will find info about closed loop cruises and the ability to enter and leave the country without a passport.

Clearly, the guy is not fully aware of the regulations.

CeleBrat (a passport carrying traveler)

IMHO Customs agents are one step above prison guards.

I have come to hate custom agents/tsa agents/homeland security agents more than I do the people down at the DMV.

I once overheard a woman asking the people at the DMV if they went to a special school to learn to be that nasty to customers, so it is not only my opinion.

IMHO, you do prison guards a disservice with that statement.

...slapped on the counter in front of me:

537090458_Scan0001.jpg

I am just glad you were not slapped in handcuffs and hauled off to a detainment center. How dare you follow their clearly stated rules and expect to get away with it.

This situation just highlights part of the problem. Even when you follow the rules, it does not mean you will not be hassled.

So what does it mean to get this notice? Does it go on your premanent record? Will that give you more problems next time you return to the US? Or was it just a waste of your time and taxpayer money?

I think sooner or later a passport is going to be needed to travel' date=' so I think people should just go get one:D[/quote']

Opinions are like a.....e, they all stink. If, and that is a big IF, it will take forever, just like the WHTI rules. See, this is my opinion:).

I am just glad you were not slapped in handcuffs and hauled off to a detainment center. How dare you follow their clearly stated rules and expect to get away with it.

This situation just highlights part of the problem. Even when you follow the rules, it does not mean you will not be hassled.

So what does it mean to get this notice? Does it go on your premanent record? Will that give you more problems next time you return to the US? Or was it just a waste of your time and taxpayer money?

They were never a couple more accurate sentences written. To answer your question, its a mass waste of government taxes.

...slapped on the counter in front of me:

537090458_Scan0001.jpg

When looking at the image of the notice happybooker1 was given, it states you should get a RFD enabled form of ID.

Do passports now have a chip in them so they can be read via a RFD?

IF so, I did not realize that. A lot of business people I know keep them on them or near them (brief case) in the event of a very last minute trip out of the country. When my husband leaves on a business trip, he never knows if he will need his before he returns home. It always travels with him.

Well, it could be worse. Our group last week on Conquest included a mother/daughter pair who became US citizens last year, but were born in Mexico. The rest of us zipped through customs. When our friend got to customs, they were detained for more than 45 minutes. Apparently her name is a very common one in Mexico (Maria Aguilar), and one of them is a wanted criminal! :eek::eek::eek: Our friend had to wait for them to run all sorts of background information on her before being released!

I was a guard for a while. That's not right, plus these people are here to protect our border. They protect us from the BS coming across our borders. Now it may be a hassle for you, but tough luck, if you don't like it, stay in country and don't subject yourself to it.

I was a guard for a while. That's not right, plus these people are here to protect our border. They protect us from the BS coming across our borders. Now it may be a hassle for you, but tough luck, if you don't like it, stay in country and don't subject yourself to it.

Oh yeah, we all know there are tons of BS (I am assuming you mean illegals) pouring off cruise ships.

The OP was in full compliance with CURRENT regulations, but she and many others were being hassled. When you can explain that, I will welcome your opinion.

it would save alot of hassle, although admittedly , it wouldnt be fodder for the boards, if every one just went ahead and got a passport. You're dropping a couple grand on a cruise anyway, what's a couple hundred more to avoid problems. The passport is good for 10 years. Its not like it expires after one use.

I know from experience that trying to argue or explain logically anything to a customs agent is futile. They know that they hold the power and also all seem to have small man syndrome and take it out on unsuspecting citizenry. Just get a passport.

Totally on point, Skylock, my also being in full compliance yet detained, interrogated at length and totally embarrassed to sweats upon recent disembark from Mex by an overzealous rookie fresh out of "profiling 101," this 56 year old professional male's sole transgression on his very first cruise: traveling solo when "everyone cruises with family or friends." Not one of the Carnival employees could later look me in the eye, the red-faced lead kindly offering to assist with my disassembled luggage, thus allowing me to depart with a modicum of dignity.

Bottom line: You can dot the i's and cross the t's all you want, but if someone decides "you're it"...

And complain if you dare; you'll wind up red-flagged for the rest of your life!

Archived