Issue w/Customs returning from Conquest

Harassing my child is not part of the deal. Especially since we both had passports and she was 3 years old at the time. I have been in and out of this county numerous times over the years for pleasure and military. I know the game and I have never seen this happen in 25 years of international travel.

I have seen Canadian Custom officials question children also... I actually think its a great idea.. if done with the proper tone...

The Customs Official in Canada gently greeted the child.. hello there buddy! And who are these people you are taking on your trip...

Along those lines... a quick mommy and daddy reply was all it took :)

Also when you travel outside the country (albiet on a cruise ship or not) I believe that you should have to show a passport. We have been lax in our country's security for years. Remember 9/11. This is a way to get more in line with the rest of the world.

It does not matter what you believe - the law is clear and unambiguous that a US citizen does not need a passport on a closed-loop cruise.

This issue was studied and debated to death within DHS and the Department of State. They found closed-loop cruises to be of such low risk that passports are not required for US citizens. I would trust the cruise lines security in maintaining passenger identification integrity over the bozos at Homeland Security.

As far as the rest of the world, EU citizens do not need a passport to travel within the EU, so what do you mean by "in line with the rest of the world"?

That would be the best way to go about it, wouldnt it.. I take mine on CTN's!!

How are you!!

I take ours to DisneyWorld......not because it is out of the country, but to have picture ID for the kids! Id that is acceptable everywhere as well!

Before anyone starts....exactly what other picture ID is there for an 8yo.

Since I already have a passport for her, why not take it? No need for me to get any other form and even though I know it is not needed...I take it anyway. And no, it won't get lost or stolen.:D

Plus I was entering the country not leaving.

Does not change anything......people kidnap/buy children around the world;)

If you really don't want to be harassed (although odds are you won't) then purchase a damn passport. Another poster pointed out that it comes down to $10 bucks a year......

I bet most of you spend more then $100 dollars at Christmas or birthdays......buy the kids a passport.....

Otherwise if you do happen to get harassed without one.......don't complain.........it could have easily been avoided......

BTW Carnival can say all they want....no you don't need a passport to board the ship.......once you disembark they could care less.....as others said the responsibility lies on you......

Plus I was entering the country not leaving.

Ever heard of the child slave trade?

Look, nobody is picking on you or a 3 year old child. What they are doing is assuring the safety of children - and that you and the child are legally entering or departing the country....that's all. I take no offense to this action......

My grandson cruises with me once ayear and has since he was 8. Several times, when he was younger, he was questioned about who I was, where we'd been, who his mother was, where he lived, what grade he was in, etc. Nothing scary about it at all..... I also was asked to present the permission letter more than a few times......

Getting all huffy about it, especially while it's happening, will only cause further distress to the child seeing the adult upset.....

The law is the law. There are ways to lobby to have the law changed if you don't like it. Face to face with a border/immigration/customs official is not the place to start.

Yeah' date=' tell them that face to face as see where it gets ya.......

Honestly........:rolleyes:[/quote']

Roll your eyes all you want... had a hard time with customs agent last year.. or the year before..

He was wrong... didnt like the fact that my passport had my maiden name.. and an addendum added by the passport office in the back of the book with my married name.. and I told him he was wrong.. he copped an attitude and basically i said.. you can lose the tude, you are wrong.. get your superior..

He slammed down the passport and motioned me to move along... I said, not verbatim, screw you too...

That is what happened..

again i say, with these attitudes, screw 'em

the minute you show you are intimidated by them- they enjoy it -(not all.. just the cop wannabes...):rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want... had a hard time with customs agent last year.. or the year before..

He was wrong... didnt like the fact that my passport had my maiden name.. and an addendum added by the passport office in the back of the book with my married name.. and I told him he was wrong.. he copped an attitude and basically i said.. you can lose the tude, you are wrong.. get your superior..

He slammed down the passport and motioned me to move along... I said, not verbatim, screw you too...

That is what happened..

again i say, with these attitudes, screw 'em

the minute you show you are intimidated by them- they enjoy it -(not all.. just the cop wannabes...):rolleyes:

Hi Toni,

A popcorn thread, maybe?:D Have to go out in a little while so I will miss all the fun.........

Hi Toni,

The eldest DD is roaming around the Colesieum and Roman Forum today......as I have been saying...lucky kid...and on her dime!

Earning college credit to boot!

They were extrememly nice to her at the airport btw and they thought she was Italian and some folks at the gate in Newark were speaking to her in Italian and she answered them in Italian of course.

It was a very pleasant experience for her flying alone and I have to say that the airport personnel were pleasant as well. It did surprise me.:eek:

Perhaps more people would get passports if they would make them more affordable. When you have a family of 4-6 it can add up fast.

If you can afford to cruise, IMHO, you can afford a passport. They are really not that expensive in comparison and the application is easy. Heck, you can download the application and fill it out at home so it takes about 5 minutes at Walgreens to get the photos and less time than that at the Post Office when you arrive with photos and application in hand. You should see how fast one of them gets you through airport security here in the States, BTW.

Does not change anything......people kidnap/buy children around the world;)

If you really don't want to be harassed (although odds are you won't) then purchase a damn passport. Another poster pointed out that it comes down to $10 bucks a year......

I bet most of you spend more then $100 dollars at Christmas or birthdays......buy the kids a passport.....

Otherwise if you do happen to get harassed without one.......don't complain.........it could have easily been avoided......

BTW Carnival can say all they want....no you don't need a passport to board the ship.......once you disembark they could care less.....as others said the responsibility lies on you......

Good grief, people READ READ READ. SHE HAD A FREAKING PASSPORT!

Hi Toni,

A popcorn thread, maybe?:D Have to go out in a little while so I will miss all the fun.........

nah... I dont engage in that.. no time :)

Hi Toni,

The eldest DD is roaming around the Colesieum and Roman Forum today......as I have been saying...lucky kid...and on her dime!

Earning college credit to boot!

They were extrememly nice to her at the airport btw and they thought she was Italian and some folks at the gate in Newark were speaking to her in Italian and she answered them in Italian of course.

It was a very pleasant experience for her flying alone and I have to say that the airport personnel were pleasant as well. It did surprise me.:eek:

NICE!@ You should be proud! and dont worry.. The G8 is going on or will be going on... Obama kids are wondering around Rome.. very safe! .. The weather looks beautiful too!:)

Good grief, people READ READ READ. SHE HAD A FREAKING PASSPORT!

Good grief.......I was referring to the people that are complaining that you don't need a freaking passport:rolleyes:

I quoted you with reference to questioning a child........separate issue. Which I would have no problem with......

If you can afford to cruise, IMHO, you can afford a passport. They are really not that expensive in comparison and the application is easy. Heck, you can download the application and fill it out at home so it takes about 5 minutes at Walgreens to get the photos and less time than that at the Post Office when you arrive with photos and application in hand. You should see how fast one of them gets you through airport security here in the States, BTW.

Although my DH and I paid for our first two cruises, it just wasn't in the budget this year with the woldwide economic meltdown and whatnot. However, my MIL was kind enough to book a cruise for us, mostly so she could spend some time with the kids. Cool.

We scraped up enough for 4 round-trip plane tickets and a one-night pre-cruise hotel stay, and we will have a meager amount to spend on a couple of cheap excursions. $400 for passports is out of the question, especially since THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR OUR CRUISE!!!!!!

Not to mention, since my oldest son's biological father is nowhere to be found, and hasn't been for several years, getting a passport for him is going to be a huge PITA and will likely cost additional in legal fees. So, yeah, we'll take our chances with customs until we no longer have that as an option.

Ever heard of the child slave trade?

Look' date=' nobody is picking on you or a 3 year old child. What they are doing is assuring the safety of children - and that you and the child are legally entering or departing the country....that's all. I take no offense to this action......

My grandson cruises with me once ayear and has since he was 8. Several times, when he was younger, he was questioned about who I was, where we'd been, who his mother was, where he lived, what grade he was in, etc. Nothing scary about it at all..... I also was asked to present the permission letter more than a few times......

Getting all huffy about it, especially while it's happening, will only cause further distress to the child seeing the adult upset.....

The law is the law. There are ways to lobby to have the law changed if you don't like it. Face to face with a border/immigration/customs official is not the place to start.[/quote']

Yes, I have heard of child slave trade. But asking a question nicely in a way a child understands and being absolutely rude about it and questioning her like she was a liar is NOT THE WAY TO DO IT. Especially when I had her passport. I have been through customs in lots of places coming home from overseas carrying crying children, happy children, pissed off children, tends to happen when they spend 12-14 hours on a plane on trans Atlantic or trans Pacific flights. I have had customs people who should be pissed off at the world from some of the crap they get from travelers. And boy can they give it. But they either did one of two things. Asked if I was military. I said yes. They said have a great day, welcome home, carry on. Or they go through the custom 'game' and then off I go. The incident in Houston is the one and only time I have ever had an issue. I have all the respect in the world for these people. They put up with a lot of crap. But I expect them to be polite and respectful despite putting up with the idiots coming through the line and that their superiors to know the law that they are required to uphold.

The cruiseline only advise what documents are needed.....they don't make the decision whether or not Customs will accept any document...that's up to the government person standing in front of you at the time.

The responsibility for having the correct documents is on the passenger....always.....

The cruise line does deny boarding if the correct documents are not in hand. We've seen lots of posts here when people are turned away, like when they are not US Citizens and don't have a Canadian visa.

So, my point is, if the Feds are going to tag someone as non-compliant AFTER the cruise, why won't Carnival tag someone as non-compliant BEFORE the cruise?

If they do not cruise at all, customs has no problem with them. If they get tagged when they come back after the cruise, what do they care - they are still getting in the country, and they saved $100 a person in not getting a passport.

Does that little lecture you get make you willing to spend the money for a passport? No, it does not.

Would the possibility of being denied boarding make you get a passport? Yes, I think it would do more.

This is serious, and people should be required to get passports if they are going to leave the country and enter another country. It just makes sense. If it causes some people to not be able to afford the cruise, so be it - security is more important and affordability.

The cruise line does deny boarding if the correct documents are not in hand. We've seen lots of posts here when people are turned away, like when they are not US Citizens and don't have a Canadian visa.

So, my point is, if the Feds are going to tag someone as non-compliant AFTER the cruise, why won't Carnival tag someone as non-compliant BEFORE the cruise?

If they do not cruise at all, customs has no problem with them. If they get tagged when they come back after the cruise, what do they care - they are still getting in the country, and they saved $100 a person in not getting a passport.

Does that little lecture you get make you willing to spend the money for a passport? No, it does not.

Would the possibility of being denied boarding make you get a passport? Yes, I think it would do more.

This is serious, and people should be required to get passports if they are going to leave the country and enter another country. It just makes sense. If it causes some people to not be able to afford the cruise, so be it - security is more important and affordability.

I agree with you.. the government should just lower the fee (insert joke here) and just make it mandatory for everyone to have one

Good grief.......I was referring to the people that are complaining that you don't need a freaking passport:rolleyes:

I quoted you with reference to questioning a child........separate issue. Which I would have no problem with......

My apologies, then. But the way you quoted it made it appear you were singling me out for not having passports.:)

BTW, back to the original topic by the OP. I expect customs agents and their superiors to know the law. It is pretty self explanatory. But I also believe all Americans should carry passports. You just never know when you may need it. My youngest has hers because she is a minor and I make sure she has one. My middle child is an adult now but she still has hers from when I got it for her when she was a minor and told her I expect her to get another one in 8 years when this expires. My oldest let hers expire. I hound her at least once a week to get a new one. Her DH is in the Army and is in Iraq. I keep telling her that if, God forbid, anything happens to him and is sent to Germany it will be a lot easier and no hassles to get there if anything does happen. No, they are not cheap. Yes, I wonder why they are so expensive. But they are good for 10 years (young children are 5 years but are cheaper).

Agreed!

I agree with you.. the government should just lower the fee (insert joke here) and just make it mandatory for everyone to have one

Ditto!

My apologies, then. But the way you quoted it made it appear you were singling me out for not having passports.:)

My bad.......it did look like I was ranting at you:o

CBP requires that the cruise line present a passenger manifest, including documents presented, 60 minutes prior to sail away. This is presumably to conduct a vetting process.

I would imagine that anyone without proper credentials would be removed from the ship.

Last fall, when the Splendor was doing the 47 day trip 'round South America, a significant number of folks were denied boarding because they didn't have Bolivian visas...

:)

In Gummint speak, $100.00 probably is a "loss leader!" The GPO likely charges the PP office $200 to print the book with the 'chip' inside. Then there is the wages, health care and retirement benefits for the 687 Federal Employees that must review and approve the application. Then there MUST be a cost added for background research on the applicant. No that is never actually done but the cost to do it IF it was done is always added in. Then there is S&H. Actual cost to the taxpayer is probably around $26953.65 or $119,258,982.11. It...Could...Go...Either...Way!!!:rolleyes::D

In Gummint speak, $100.00 probably is a "loss leader!" The GPO likely charges the PP office $200 to print the book with the 'chip' inside. Then there is the wages, health care and retirement benefits for the 687 Federal Employees that must review and approve the application. Then there MUST be a cost added for background research on the applicant. No that is never actually done but the cost to do it IF it was done is always added in. Then there is S&H. Actual cost to the taxpayer is probably around $26953.65 or $119,258,982.11. It...Could...Go...Either...Way!!!:rolleyes::D

lmao!

and to think the lowest bidder gets all your info and prints a passport!

I have seen Canadian Custom officials question children also... I actually think its a great idea.. if done with the proper tone...

The Customs Official in Canada gently greeted the child.. hello there buddy! And who are these people you are taking on your trip...

Along those lines... a quick mommy and daddy reply was all it took :)

We're quite civilized that way.

I hear ya, last year when we "thought" the new law was gonna take affect, we got passports before our June cruise......over $400 for the 4 of us, that stunk. :mad:

I'm sure Carnival would have loved to have that extra $400 spent on the ship!!:p At least we don't have to worry about it anymore!!

They are only good for 10 years then you gotta re-new them...Dennis

I like the idea of one line for those without passport and all the others stations for those with passport. Once all the people with passports are done they can let the line without passports use all the stations.

If you are going out of the country get a passport........................

All the news stations like CNN and the local newspaper reported you MUST have a passport to travel outside of USA before June....... Don't blame the agent for not understanding the rules that keep changing and the news sources cannot even report them correctly.....

Archived