question from a veteran RCCL cruiser...

shayelle

After 10 RCCL cruises we are going on Carnival. It is just the 3 day out of San Diego, though we are going to try Carnival for our next 7 night Caribbean as well if the prices remain lower then RCCL. Anyway, it is me, dh, dd (9), and ds (6 1/2). We have always gotten 2 connecting rooms. They have ranged from Promenade (window to the inside Promenade area) to balcony, but always 2. For the 3 day we decided to cram into 1 cabin mainly to save money (well, only to save money actually!). How bad is it? I know they are small on the Elation but has anyone had any experiences cramming 4 into a cabin? We considered not going but a lot of family and friends are so it will be fun but we don't want to spend the money on a 3 day for 2 cabins!

Also, does the kids camp open on the first night or is it just an open house type of thing? My dd will have just turned 9. If my kids want to stay together and the kids camp isn't crowded (we sail early November) does Carnival make exceptions (putting dd into the younger one?) Not sure if my kids will care they are not in the same group or not.

Thanks!

Can't help with the kids club...but we had 4 in a cabin on NCL Dawn and it was very crowded but we survived. If that was the only way I could get on the ship, I would definitely do it again ;)

We have had Promenade rooms on RCCL and they are smaller than Carnival's inside rooms. I think you'll be fine with 4 in a room for 3 days...especially since your kids are young...mine were teens when we crammed 4 into a room :eek:

After 10 RCCL cruises we are going on Carnival. It is just the 3 day out of San Diego, though we are going to try Carnival for our next 7 night Caribbean as well if the prices remain lower then RCCL. Anyway, it is me, dh, dd (9), and ds (6 1/2). We have always gotten 2 connecting rooms. They have ranged from Promenade (window to the inside Promenade area) to balcony, but always 2. For the 3 day we decided to cram into 1 cabin mainly to save money (well, only to save money actually!). How bad is it? I know they are small on the Elation but has anyone had any experiences cramming 4 into a cabin? We considered not going but a lot of family and friends are so it will be fun but we don't want to spend the money on a 3 day for 2 cabins!

Also, does the kids camp open on the first night or is it just an open house type of thing? My dd will have just turned 9. If my kids want to stay together and the kids camp isn't crowded (we sail early November) does Carnival make exceptions (putting dd into the younger one?) Not sure if my kids will care they are not in the same group or not.

Thanks!

Elation, interior and oceanview rooms 185 sf.

Voyager class, Atrium Promenade view cabin- 147 sf.

interior cabins, 134 sf.

Cabins are generally larger on Carnival, my experience against the other 4 lines I have been on. We had friends have 5 in a Carnival cabin for a 5 night cruise, the youngest being 19 so you will be just fine.

We put 4 in the Enchantment of the seas inside, I think it was 117 sq ft? very tight, but we got by. The Carnival cabins are larger and since it's fold down bed's the space is still open in the middle. We had uppers and lowers twice on Carnival. Just stay busy until time to go to bed.

I found cabins on the Elation plenty big enough for two. Adding two kids to the mix will be tight, but it is only for three days. You can survive. This will be about the same room that the families that book a motel room at the beach and cram four into it have and they have very little space to store luggage and clothes.

Doc

Anyway, it is me, dh, dd (9), and ds (6 1/2). We have always gotten 2 connecting rooms. They have ranged from Promenade (window to the inside Promenade area) to balcony, but always 2. For the 3 day we decided to cram into 1 cabin mainly to save money (well, only to save money actually!). How bad is it? I know they are small on the Elation but has anyone had any experiences cramming 4 into a cabin? We considered not going but a lot of family and friends are so it will be fun but we don't want to spend the money on a 3 day for 2 cabins!

Go to cruisedeckplans.com , select the Carnival vessels and then the Elation. You can look through the different room types, to include sq. footage, occupancy allowance and amenities. A lot of good information is located there. We use it to complement Carnival's main website.

I am not sure what the operating hours are for Camp Carnival on Embarkation Day. The Elation normally departs around 1600 hrs (4PM) on cruise day, so they may have limited service the first evening. Check with your PVP/TA to obtain more information. You can also go to the FAQ portion of Carnival's site, where you will get some generic information.

Hope you have a wonderful time on the Elation....we did! :D

We always fit four in a balcony cabin - my mom, me (24), and my sisters (13 and 16). It's crowded, sure, especially with all of our luggage, but we've never felt too packed in. We have enough space and it's not like we're in the room much anyway!

we had my wife and I and two sons 12 & 8 in an ov on the sensation and had plenty of room. On the 4 day cruse camp carnival is not open on the first night. I would assume the same for the other cruises. As for them being together. Probably won't happen. My youngest(8yrs 7 mo) was in the 6-8 group and my nephen(9yr 3 mo) in the 9-11 group. They would not let us move my son into the older group and would not let my nephew move down to the younger group. they are very strict about their age groups. The only exception was if they were within two months from that age group at the time of sailing. So if you daughter has been 9 for more than 2 months at the time you sail she will not be allowed to move down.

For me, if it was having a snug cabin or not going, -----for a 3 dayer----I say go for it ! :D

Exactly... ask yourself... "Would I be more comfortable sitting at my desk working for 3 days"... for me, that answer will always be "NO!" :)

Exactly... ask yourself... "Would I be more comfortable sitting at my desk working for 3 days"... for me, that answer will always be "NO!" :)

I would choose work.......save a little more and get 2 cabins..........hey wait!.........that's what I do now:D

We've had 4 in a room several times when we have taken our daughters on cruises with us. It worked out fine. We spend very little time in the cabin. My husband sometimes showers in the dressing room of the gym, giving us three girls more time to get dressed.:)

With camps: it will depend on how many kids are in each program-

It wont hurt to ask if the 9 year old can move down in the program.

Carnival counselors very rarely will move a kid up in the groups

Please be aware that 9 year olds can sign themselves in and out with permission.

First night is an open house type of thing- the first night they usually want families to stay with them

Just finished a 5 night on the Riveria deck inside, myself, DW, and teens DD1 and DD2. I'm only in the room to sleep, and if a grown woman and two teenaged girls can work out the bathroom logistics, anyone can. Depends on the group, and no it's not all love all the time with my bunch.

Archived