Costa Maya-prices have sky rocketed!

msjeanne1

Costa Maya was one of our favorite ports. When we visited there last week we found their prices have gone out of sight. Example; a leather hat that cost $10. last year is now $45. Other items we compared were really inflated. The silver bracelet jewelry (at the shop with the cute little red and white shopping bags0 we bought is inferior. The slide catches break within 2 weeks of daily wear. Beware. Jewelers in my area refuse to repair Mexican jewelry.

If you are going to buy souvenirs to take home, get them in Cozumel. Their prices are very reasonable compared to Costa Maya.

I'll second that although admittedly on second-hand info. My daughter and her husband were there last week (on the Grandeur) and she said prices were terrible. Even tee's were much higher than anywhere else and they would not budge off their prices one bit! Don't leave your shopping for that port!!!

We found the prices high also but found that they would budge on them. For example my dh bought a hat that was priced at $35 for $15, I bought vanilla priced at $11 for $6 and my friend bought a black coral necklace priced at $38 for $15.

I sure didn't find prices excessive in Oct. However, do consider that the value of the US dollar is down considerably. Good for exports but not good for travel. If fact prices were good enough I finally after many years of haggling, bought one of those wood Mayan calanders. 18" diameter and paid $40 I think.

Forget shopping...take a cab to Mahajual and just enjoy that lovely beach. The water is wonderful, shallow enough to stand in quite a way out...huts to get under and avoid a sunburn... beer or Margararitas served while you relax... just the perfect Corona commercial. It was our favorite stop on this cruise!

Forget shopping...take a cab to Mahajual and just enjoy that lovely beach. The water is wonderful, shallow enough to stand in quite a way out...huts to get under and avoid a sunburn... beer or Margararitas served while you relax... just the perfect Corona commercial. It was our favorite stop on this cruise!

That's a great idea except when it's cold and rainy like it was last week. Then, it's pretty much the port or the ship.:)

We second this opinion. Far and away we enjoyed Mahahual more than paradise beach in Cozumel. The people were very friendly and we got some great deals on a variety of items there.

As far as rain.... Well, lets just say that it was raining here this evening and it was 36ºF, 30ºF with wind chill and I was out doing errands in it. I think I could handle a little rain on the beach in Mahahual ;) now a lot of rain..... well, hopefully the Solarium would be empty. :D

Dont shop at the port, go into to Mahajual, the people are happy to bargain, besides I think they need the money more than those shiny new shops. The town is charming, sand roads and a real small mexican town feel.

(were there 12/12 on JOS cruise)

We got much better prices on onyx chess set in Mahajual than in Cozumel!

Ria

I wanted to purchase these onyx looking bookends in Costa Maya--but they wanted $65.00. He refused to go lower--so I said forget it. The next day in Cozumel we found them in the shops near the pier for $10.00. I kid you not--they were the same exact ones. Definetely save your money for Cozumel.

Costa Maya was one of our favorite ports. When we visited there last week we found their prices have gone out of sight. Example; a leather hat that cost $10. last year is now $45. Other items we compared were really inflated. The silver bracelet jewelry (at the shop with the cute little red and white shopping bags0 we bought is inferior. The slide catches break within 2 weeks of daily wear. Beware. Jewelers in my area refuse to repair Mexican jewelry.

If you are going to buy souvenirs to take home, get them in Cozumel. Their prices are very reasonable compared to Costa Maya.

Interesting advice. Cozumel is in Mexico.

Archived