Corner Brook or Charlottetown?

We are trying to decide which trip to take. One stops in Charlottetown and the other in Corner Brook. Has anyone been to both and which did you prefer?

I have been to both, albeit overland rather than by sea. As a city I think Charlottetown has more to offer in being a pleasant place to be, though even Charlottetown did not have so much to keep me sufficiently busy for my time there. The former Canadian National railroad right-of-way was made into a bike trail and I did spend one day on a rental bike that was rather pleasant but nothing spectacular. Contact MacQueen's to make this type of arrangement. www.macqueens.com

But what I consider to be really worthwhile is a visit to Gros Morne National Park, near Corner Brook. This is a good distance so you'll need to arrange a tour that will get you there and back timely. What I considered to be most spectacular are the Tablelands within the park. This is where the interior of the earth--its mantle--has pushed itself out and on top of itself, creating a Mars-like reddish surface where there is little plant growth. Make sure to get on the Trout River Pond boat tour to take in the experience of going past the "normal" green earth on one side and the exposed mantle on the other side (don't confuse this boat tour with the Western Brook Pond boat tour, another worthwhile excursion but for its beautiful fjord rather than the geology).

I hope this is helpful in your planning.

I have visited both cities during land trips. I would choose Charlottetown over Corner Brook. Charlottetown has so much more to do and is a very walkable city. Because PEI is such a small island you can even rent a car and go to one of the beautiful beaches and stop for a tasty lobster lunch along the way. You could rent bikes and do the Confederation Trail. If you are an Anne of Green Gables you could do one of the bus trips to Green Gables. If you want to stay in the city you could go to Founders Hall (a nice museum about the founding of Canada), visit the Confederation Center, do a walking tour of the city, visit Beaconfield (a restored sea captain's home on the waterfront), have lunch on Victoria Row, shop in one of the many shops in downtown Charlottetown and if you want a little down time go to the spa at the Delta Hotel.

One of the ports on our cruise is Charlottetown, and we are renting a car. From the photos I have seen of Prince Edward Island, it is truly gorgeous. Check out this site to see for yourself. We plan to photograph some of the lighthouses (there's a map and list of lighthouses on the tourismpei.com site) and drive through the heart of the island to see some of the farms and rolling red hills. A lobster lunch is also on our itinerary. They say once you've eaten a Prince Edward Island lobster, any other lobsters just won't do. October can't come soon enough!

• 4 weeks later...

Do you think it is possible to rent a car and drive to Gros Morne National Park if our ship arrives at 8am and departs at 5pm? Figure we'd have about seven hours taking into consideration returning the car and a few short stops.

What is the entrance fee?

Archived