Please help with DIY Cinque Terre/Pisa train schedule

Cruisin_Cheesehead

I have posted a couple times re: attempting to do both Cinque Terre and Pisa from Livorno. We are in port from 8 am to 7pm. I am going to try it- DH really wants to see the tower (just see, not climb) and I want to spend some time in CT. Compromise it is- we are going to spend a little time in both, keeping in mind this cruise is just a "taste" of Europe for us, and we will hopefully be back to spend much more time in both these places.

With that said, I am trying to find the most logical train route to take. From my research, here is what I have gathered: that I get more time in CT if I do Pisa on our way BACK to Livorno. Can someone help confirm what I have below:

If we do the tower on the way to CT this would be the schedule:

08:34 train to Pisa, arriving 08:53. See the tower, then the next available train to Riomag. is 11:00, arriving at 12:08 (changing in Spezia at 11:51). We then would take the 15:41 train from Riomag. to Livorno, getting there at 17:14. With this, we have about 3 hours in CT and 2 hours to see the tower. To me, that is too much tower time, which cuts our CT time short.

If we do the tower on the way back from CT to Livorno this would be the schedule:

08:34 train to Pisa, arriving at 08:53 continuing on with the 08:59 train to Riomag., arriving at 10:08 (changing in La Spezia at 09:51). We would then take the 14:26 train from Riomag. to Pisa, arriving at 15:51. See the tower, then take the 17:34 Pisa train to Livorno, arriving at 17:49- with still an hour to get back to the ship. With this, we have about 4 hours in CT, and just enough time to see the tower.

Can someone please tell me if I am interpreting this correctly, if this is feasible, if we're not leaving enough time for misc. issues, etc. Thank you very much!

From a logic/strategy point of view, I think it makes sense to go to the farthest point first (CT, in your case), then hit the other (Pisa) on the way back. That way, if something does screw up, you can forgo Pisa and still make it back to the ship.

If you go to Pisa first, make it to CT and then something goes wrong, odds are lower that you'd make it back in time.

Having done the train routine from Livorno to CT and back, I would say your second choice is the best. You have obviously done well at figuring out the Trenitalia schedules. The schedules within CT are the ones to look at carefully. They are on my train site (see sig line).

Having done the train routine from Livorno to CT and back, I would say your second choice is the best. You have obviously done well at figuring out the Trenitalia schedules. The schedules within CT are the ones to look at carefully. They are on my train site (see sig line).

I will look at those. Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

I am in process of planning land trip to Cinque Terre after arriving there 2 yrs. ago at 1AM after planning to arrive by train late afternoon. Italian local trains do not run on time. You can see Pisa tower from train window. It is underwhelming. As Rick Steves says, Pisa is worth 45 minutes. I would skip it & enjoy the beauty of the 5 towns.Very special.

We were in Port of Livorno, 7am to 7pm. We found a taxi driver, Elio from Livorno, who spent the day with us and took us to both Cinque Terre and Pisa. We were back to the ship by 6pm. It worked out well. If you're trying to squeeze both places in, I would go with a taxi driver and you won't have to worry about connection times thru La Spezia to get to Pisa and vice-versa. The train schedules between each town is frequent. There is also a ferry. We skipped Corniglia (3rd town), to meet the taxi driver by 3pm at Riomaggiore. We have photos of each town posted on our flickr page. Have fun!

We drive to both Pisa and Cinque Terre last fall when we docked at Livorno for the day. Avis will meet you at the ship with a rental car. It's a easy drive to Pisa where we spent an hour at the leaning tower of Pisa - looks like one would expect so it doesn't take long to see. From there you can drive up to Cinque Terre on the freeway - you get off in La Spezia to get to the first village of Riomaggiore where there is parking available. Riomaggiore is very impressive (great views of it on the way there). GPS would be helpful for the La Spezia part of the trip - also getting back to the ship can be quite difficult since the Livorno port is very confusing (make sure you know what dock your ship is located at and ask for directions). Rick Steve's book on Italy is a really good resource to use.

Thank you all for the thoughful replies. We have been contemplating renting a car and driving, but for the sake of saving a few dollars, and because we like to be adventerous thought taking the trains didn't seem to difficult. However, I would like to hear more from those who have driven on thier own re: travel times, traffic, ease of reading road signs, how you got directions, etc. as we haven't totally surrendered the idea of renting a car.

Thank you!

Thank you all for the thoughful replies. We have been contemplating renting a car and driving, but for the sake of saving a few dollars, and because we like to be adventerous thought taking the trains didn't seem to difficult. However, I would like to hear more from those who have driven on thier own re: travel times, traffic, ease of reading road signs, how you got directions, etc. as we haven't totally surrendered the idea of renting a car.

Thank you!

We vacationed in Cinque Terre in June 2007 and took the train to Pisa for the day. We took the obligatory picture of us preventing the Tower from falling so that we could put a tick in the box that we had been there, done that. But it was not worth missing a day in CT. The gelato we got in Piazza Garibaldi across the Arno from the train station did help however. Our advice, for what it’s worth, is to skip Pisa and spend more time walking the trails in CT and lunching on the Mediterranean. You will not regret it. :)

Thank you!

Ps: I would not try CT by train. First of all cars are not allowed in the CT, so you will need to park in a lot outside of Monterosso al Mare. And driving will probably take at least twice as long as the train. We took a taxi from La Spezia to Monterosso when we first arrived and a train when we left which took half the time.

• 3 weeks later...
We were in Port of Livorno, 7am to 7pm. We found a taxi driver, Elio from Livorno, who spent the day with us and took us to both Cinque Terre and Pisa. We were back to the ship by 6pm. It worked out well. If you're trying to squeeze both places in, I would go with a taxi driver and you won't have to worry about connection times thru La Spezia to get to Pisa and vice-versa. The train schedules between each town is frequent. There is also a ferry. We skipped Corniglia (3rd town), to meet the taxi driver by 3pm at Riomaggiore. We have photos of each town posted on our flickr page. Have fun!

If you don't mind telling me......how much did the taxi driver charge you?:)

If you don't mind telling me......how much did the taxi driver charge you?:)

Hello,

We were on our way to the train station and he said he could take us to Cinque Terre for 330 Euros. We were 5 people. The entrance to the national park includes the train between each town for 8 euros total. I believe Elio from Livorno is a cruise critic member. :confused: Here's a link to our pictures

I am in process of planning land trip to Cinque Terre after arriving there 2 yrs. ago at 1AM after planning to arrive by train late afternoon. Italian local trains do not run on time. You can see Pisa tower from train window. It is underwhelming. As Rick Steves says, Pisa is worth 45 minutes. I would skip it & enjoy the beauty of the 5 towns.Very special.

Sorry, but RS is WRONG! There is more to Pisa and the Campo dei Miracoli than the tower. The Cathedral and the Baptistery are beautiful as well. What detracts from Pisa are the ticky tacky vendors that line the street.

Archived