Port info on Med

When I first started cruising, I found a Fodors and a Frommers ports of call books on the Carribbean. They listed things to do and see,restaurants, how to get around, etc, for most of the ports that cruise ships call upon. I have been looking for the same type of book for the Mediterreanean but can't seem to find any. Any suggestions?

Omygosh, I was in Borders yesterday looking for the same thing! I really don't want to purchase a bunch of separate books on Portugal, Spain, France, Italy etc. I couldn't find anything there at all, which was really disappointing.

I did, however, find a number of options on Amazon. If you go to Amazon.com and do a book search on "Mediterranean Travel" you'll come up with several good ones. I'm not sure which one I'm going to order yet, but this one looks pretty good:

Mediterranean By Cruise Ship: The Complete Guide to Mediterranean Cruising, Third Edition, by Anne Vipond.

Good luck!

LeeAnne

LeeAnne-Borders is where I was at this morning and like you only found the single books. Thanks for the suggestion on the book at Amazon. I'll check it out. Aussiegal-Thanks for responding. I'll also look for the Eyewitness Book on Europe

Dan

Before our October crusie on Splendour I purchased Cruise Guide to Europe & the Mediterranean by Eyewitness Travel Guides at Borders. We found it very helpful, it was $24.95 & covered alot. ISBN # 0-7894-6649-X http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0789497298/qid=1103592838/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-9205550-2483917?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Amazon has it for 16.50.

Wendy

Thanks Andy! These are terrific! There's quite a bit of detail here. I've been perusing various onine sites about the ports and printing out info for a binder, but I hadn't found these sites. These look like some of the best I've seen.

I'd still like to have an actual book to take with us -- that Cruise Guide to the Mediterranean looks like a good option. Thanks everyone!

Here's another book-related question: have any of you heard of "Pillars of Hercules" by Paul Theroux? This one sounds more like an interesting travelogue than a travel guide, but I thought it might be fun to read before our cruise.

LeeAnne

LeeAnne

We did the following on our recent Med. cruise:

1) Got lots of information on line from web sites such as "things to do", fodors, frommers, virtual tourist, rick steves, and the official web sites for each port town. Tripadvisor.com was particularly good for hotel information and reviews, and for links to other web sites.

2) Got brochures from the national travel offices of Spain and France, where we spent most of our trip.

3) Bought and used the Eyewitness (aka Insight) Mediterranean book for general information, then left it at home since by then we had more specific information. Took the Lisbon (where our cruise ended) Insight book with us, and used it a lot. It was so good we didn't need to hre a guide. (See our post on the Private guide in Lisbon thread.)

4) Borrowed books from the library, photocopied the relevant pages, and took them with us.

5) Read a lot of background material, including novels that used the locales we were going to visit.

Hope that helps!

Frommers also has a European cruise guide (which includes Northern Europe and Mediterranean). You can order it directly from its website ($21.99):

Frommer's European Cruises & Ports of Call, 3rd dition

http://www.frommers.com/guidebooks/0764542907.html

It's a useful book, but there's a lot of information on cruiselines and ships, and I find the info on ports of call somewhat succinct.

The website itself (frommers.com) is very helpful in planning any trips.

Thanks Wendy, Andy, Joan and Joe, and Marie-Claude. Unfortunately, I'm not the one going on this cruise, my parents are, and they don't own a computer. I've checked out the websites you suggested and will print out info for them. Thanks for the book suggestions. I'm heading for Borders. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Dan

Archived