Travel Insurance for Family

Hi looking at travel insurance and quite frankly it is doing my head in!:confused: Who have people used for their Travel Insurance? and why? What "hidden catches" are there to be aware of?:mad: Basically I want you to help me by sharing what you know so I don't have to compare numerous policies.:D If I can draw out a few good ones here that will help me narrow it down and I won't be going nuts trying to figure out what's best!:eek:

Thanks heaps,

Angela

Hi Angela

i have usually taken a Mondial policy out, i have had insurance for just myself and my husband and also when we have taken our daughter, it is very comprehensive and covers luggage, medical etc. You can find a link for it on the NAB site or just google it. I have had to make a medical claim as i became quite ill in Maylasia on one of our trips. I paid the bills at the time as it suited me and was easy for me but you can contact them if needed and go from there. I had no problems with that, the only thing was i also got stung by a jelly fish on the last day and i didn't seek medical treatment imediately as i didn't percieve i was going to have an issue, but i had an anaphalatic reaction to the sting and they said they wouldn't pay since i got medical attention back in Australia. I could have argued maybe but it wasn't worth it for 50 dollars worth of medicine. I know that some cruises say they include insurance but i think you will find that if it came to the crunch it would not cover Australians. There are a few different types like everything, but i think the most important are if you suffer a medical event or you loose you luggage or have things stolen. some cover more than others.

Hope this helps

Maree:)

We have used Covermore and QBE for our travel insurance. QBE cost $143.20 for 2 on C Travel Plan Itnernational for 1 week - Sept 09 cruise, and Covermore cost $178 for a week for 4 - options single trip - April 2010 and then for the third cruise - Nov 2010 - 1 week Travelsure single trip for $142 for 4.

We have now realised we would have been better getting a whole years cover but oh well!!

Hope this helps

Hi looking at travel insurance and quite frankly it is doing my head in!:confused: Who have people used for their Travel Insurance? and why? What "hidden catches" are there to be aware of?:mad: Basically I want you to help me by sharing what you know so I don't have to compare numerous policies.:D If I can draw out a few good ones here that will help me narrow it down and I won't be going nuts trying to figure out what's best!:eek:

Thanks heaps,

Angela

See my post at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1019737&highlight= ken076.

Hi All,

I have just purchased travel insurance for our October cruise, on-line through Westpac Bank.... Underwritten by Vero insurance company.

This cruise is for 18 nights and was only $135.15. The company we usually go through was over $30 more expensive. I had a read through their product disclosure and was happy with the terms and conditions and this compared well to our previous insurer. There is an excess of $100.

Good luck with your search.:)

Hi All,

I have just purchased travel insurance for our October cruise, on-line through Westpac Bank.... Underwritten by Vero insurance company.

This cruise is for 18 nights and was only $135.15. The company we usually go through was over $30 more expensive. I had a read through their product disclosure and was happy with the terms and conditions and this compared well to our previous insurer. There is an excess of $100.

I have insured with both AAMI and Westpac.

You really do need travel insurance. Many say that if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel.

Travel insurance covers various things from medical costs, lost or damaged luggage, cancellation of cruise due to medical issues or family emergency, emergency transport back home etc.

Recently while overseas in the US, due to a family emergency we had to leave and come home early.

As we were not able to bring forward our already booked flight home, and it was late at night, we had to go and find another airline and try and get on the last flight home.

We did end up paying over $1700 each for a flight from the US to Australia, and we would have paid it even if we didn't have travel insurance.

But fortunately as we did, we have been able to submit a claim with the insurance company and are being reimbursed for the whole cost of the flights, for only a small excess.

In an emergency, im sure money won't matter to many either, but it is good to know for reassurance that you are covered.

Also the good thing was that in our circumstance, that if we didn't have the cash or credit available on a credit card to purchase a new flight home, then the travel insurance company were happy to organise a flight for us that they would pay for on our behalf, but it wouldn't have been possible until the next day, and we did really need to get the next available flight home.

If you do need to make a claim, just make sure you keep all your receipts and you should be fine.

If you have a pre-existing medical condition, you will also need to tell your insurer when applying for your policy as it may make your policy invalid.

Some insurers may offer a lower premium but a higher excess, or vice versa. So I would suggest to have a look at what suits you best and your cricumstances.

Hope this has helped :)

Anyone found Travel Insurance that will cover for Swine Flu? I have seen QBE and travel insurance direct have some cover. Not worried about getting it but would be crushed to be quarrantined in my room for the cruise duration so looking to see if we can be covered for those sort of things. Or if one of us gets it prior, or is quarrantined prior etc What a pain!:eek:

Ta Angela

Anyone found Travel Insurance that will cover for Swine Flu? I have seen QBE and travel insurance direct have some cover. Not worried about getting it but would be crushed to be quarrantined in my room for the cruise duration so looking to see if we can be covered for those sort of things. Or if one of us gets it prior, or is quarrantined prior etc What a pain!:eek:

Ta Angela

Westpac was recently covering all policies for swine flu but since it has been now named an Epidemic, I am pretty sure it is no longer covering swine flu for new policies, only existing policies.

You will have some trouble finding an insurance company to now cover you for swine flu.

This is why it is recommended to purchase travel insurance as soon as you make a deposit on a holiday / cruise as you don't know what will happen between the time you book and the actual time you leave.

And often, there is no difference in price if you take out travel insurance at time of booking or the day before the holiday, so might as well take it as soon as you can.

Hi All,

We bought the same insurance through Westpac for our family cruise. We paid $106 for 10 nights for 2 adults and 3 kids with a $100 excess.

Hopefully we won't need to claim on it :rolleyes:.

We bought the same insurance through Westpac for our family cruise. We paid $106 for 10 nights for 2 adults and 3 kids with a $100 excess.

Hopefully we won't need to claim on it :rolleyes:.

If several members of the family had to use the medical facilities on the ship, would the excess apply every time or would all the claims combine and the $100 be the excess for all of them? Not sure if the question makes sense but hopefully someone will be able to work out what I mean.

If several members of the family had to use the medical facilities on the ship, would the excess apply every time or would all the claims combine and the $100 be the excess for all of them?

You'd have to check the wording and it may also depend on the situation. For example, if the excess is per incident then you'd pay for each if they were from separate causes. Sometimes they put a maximum number of excesses, but without checking I'd expect it to be paid each time.

If several members of the family had to use the medical facilities on the ship, would the excess apply every time or would all the claims combine and the $100 be the excess for all of them? Not sure if the question makes sense but hopefully someone will be able to work out what I mean.

I'm pretty sure that the bill for each person would be treated as a separate event and a separate claim so the excess would apply each time. If one person had to visit the doctor twice for the same illness, the two visits would be on the same bill (mine were) and so there would only be one claim and one excess covering both visits.

We had a similar thing with our car that was damaged by hail, then a few days later someone ran into the back of it at traffic lights. All the damage was fixed at the same time, but we had to pay two lots of excess because it was two 'events'.:)

Evon

If you have paid for your cruise using a gold Visa, gold Mastercard or an upgraded Amex Card you may be covered by their travel insurance which is comprehensive and covers family members (ie children etc). I know people who have had to make a claim and have had no problems. You should ask your card provider to give you the brochure for the insurance and carry it with you as it will give you contact numbers etc to phone in the event of an emergency etc.

These policies, as with any other will not cover pre exisiting conditions.

You cannot afford to travel overseas or on ships with travel insurance - I know - I had four days in a New York hospital lat year and the bill was US$98,328 - yes nearly $25,000 US Dollars a day.

Ta Angela

I just went through this same thing about Swine Flu, one travel insurance I have previously used didn't cover Swine Flu, I ended up taking it out through our travel agent, and there product is through www.covermore.com.au covers swine flu. Only thing it doesn't cover the avian bird flu. It cost more but for peace of mind we were happy.

We have travel insurance through Worldcare. I'll be able to report back on their performance soon, as it looks like we will have to cancel our August cruise. My husband badly broke his ankle last Sunday. My mother is also booked to come with us, so it will be interesting to see how she goes claiming her cancellation too. I'm not sure who she has her insurance with, but I will let you know the outcome.

I would suggest If you hold Your Motor Vehicle,Home and Life Insurance with a Bank Use Them especially more so If you can get a Discount.Me It usually depends on what the Travel Agent Is Offering at the time.

I have never booked for a family so can't comment but I have organised Travel Insurance Through a Different Flight Centre to the one the holiday package was booked through.It was my Aunties Agent at Armadale New South Wales that organised a Trip to Hong Kong some eight years ago but I got the Insurance through the Flight Centre at Burnside Village South Australia.Usually If Convenient just accept the policy they provide and be done with it.

We are looking at Worldcare this time.....very reasonable rates for good cover.....it's not difficult to find good priced policies take the time to search the australian agencies online and READ what they offer, if you need any further info ring or email the coy....they are more than willing to answer all your queries...

Don't assume the current insurer of your car, home etc will be good value .....mine....$150.00 dearer...and they think thats a good deal....i don't think so.......shiona

Archived