Bermuda Cancelations ??

Jimjam

Well its a judgement call and the powers to be on the particular Princess ship decide for safety reasons to skip docking. Does it matter whether NCL/RCCL make it in or not, No. The point is Princess does not do this to save money as a few mention.

I also think that the harbor pilot shares in the decision to not attempt the channel. I'm sure the captain has the final say tho.... And I'm sure Princess would make significantly more money if they dock since they get a cut of excursion sales and a cut from the cruiseline sponsored stores, not to mention a shipful of happy passengers.

This is absolutely not true. Pam, you are always very quick to rebuke others who post incorrect information - please do not do it yourself. The Government regulates cruise ships so that the island is not overwhelmed with cruise pax.
Please don't get me wrong because I love Bermuda and have been there several times since the very early 70s. I agree that the Government regulates cruise ships but years ago, there were all kinds of hoops cruiselines had to go through in order to schedule a ship there, even when there weren't many ships going and it was tourist off-season. And I agree that they didn't want to be overwhelmed but they put themselves between a rock and a hard place by making it clear that cruise ships weren't very welcome but at the same time, liking the revenues and local business boost.

I hope we make it to Bermuda but it certainly isn't going to ruin my cruise if we don't. I would much rather be safe than sorry--and I love those sea days. That being said, I have a couple of excursions booked privately in Bermuda!

One thing to keep in mind is that Bermuda DOESN'T WANT the cruise ships. For years, they made it extremely difficult and severely limited which ships were allowed within Bermudan waters. In order for a cruise ship to stop in Bermuda, it had to be approved by the Government.

I hardly think a cruiseship destined for Bermuda isn't already approved for docking. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I also wish Princess or RCI (it would be perfect for their Radiance class ships) would have 7 day cruises to Bermuda from NY/Boston/Philly, etc.

So do I! I just got married on Bermuda via EOS. However, I have been on 3 Princess ships. 2 times our Bermuda day got cut in half due to bad conditions. I did not want to risk this once again.

I would have used Princess over RCI if they had a 5 or 7 day to Bermuda.

NCL does not dock at the same dock.

I hate when people post info that they dont know what they are talking about....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not only does the NCL ships dock at the same dock as the CB, they arent that much smaller than the CB either....The NCL Dawn is 965 feet long, the CB is 951 feet long....dont know why people are saying that 1)the ships that do dock are smaller and 2) well, what colocruiser is saying above which is truly FALSE INFO!!!!

I hate when people post info that they dont know what they are talking about....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not only does the NCL ships dock at the same dock as the CB, they arent that much smaller than the CB either....The NCL Dawn is 965 feet long, the CB is 951 feet long....dont know why people are saying that 1)the ships that do dock are smaller and 2) well, what colocruiser is saying above which is truly FALSE INFO!!!!

Yeah get your facts straight!!

The Norwegian Majesty (being much smaller) goes through Town Cut into St Georges. :rolleyes:

Yeah get your facts straight!!

Only the Norwegian Majesty (being much smaller) goes through Town Cut into St Georges. :rolleyes:

Who said anything about "the Majesty" or the "town cut"?????

Thought we were talking about the CB, NCL Dawn, Spirit, and Kings Wharf:confused::confused::confused: I see someone forgot their coffee today:eek::cool:

This is just my opinion of why some ships make it in and others don't.

The NCL and RCCL ships are in Bermuda for several days, so the window to dock is much longer. They can wait out the winds until conditions are better because Bermuda is their only destination. The CB has a limited time on the island and if conditions aren't just right, there really isn't much "play" time to wait.

I agree with you completely and offered this explanation to my fellow cruisers who were upset to see the NCL and RCCL ships sailing into port as we sailed out on the CB on 5/31. :)

Thanks to everyone for your comments on this subject. Bottom line is; The Captain makes the decision and the safety of the passengers and ship always comes first.. The best and sure way to visit Bermuda is via airline and stay on land or ship that stays there for a few days and does not go in and out on the same day.

Please don't get me wrong because I love Bermuda and have been there several times since the very early 70s. I agree that the Government regulates cruise ships but years ago, there were all kinds of hoops cruiselines had to go through in order to schedule a ship there, even when there weren't many ships going and it was tourist off-season. And I agree that they didn't want to be overwhelmed but they put themselves between a rock and a hard place by making it clear that cruise ships weren't very welcome but at the same time, liking the revenues and local business boost.

New gaming law for cruise ships failed to pass.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31853958/ns/business-msnbc_wire_services/

We were on the 6/29 sailing which missed Bermuda. We were also on the 5/12/07 sailing on the Crown which missed Bermuda. To say we were disappointed to miss Bermuda twice would be an understatement. There is definitely a problem. To compound our disappointment, I just read a review for the NCL Dawn which docked in Kings Wharf the same day we could not, stated it was sunny.

RCI Explorer of the Seas is just as large as the CB and the NCL Dawn is just as long. Both of those ships make it to Bermuda weekly. All dock in Kings Wharf so they all have the same approach. Only the NCL Majesty that docks in St. George's comes in differently. Also, the Explorer 9 day cruise only comes in for the day and never misses so the "window" to dock is the same as the CB's.

I know people on CC have come to the defense of the Captain. I have to say his explanation was rather short and curt. Many people on board were very upset and many, like us, this wasn't the first time they missed Bermuda with Princess.

I agree with the people clammoring for a smaller Princess ship to call on Bermuda. I believe it would sell out weekly.

It's a shame because other than missing Bermuda, it was a wonderful cruise. But, I don't think I would risk chancing it again. If you really want Bermuda, try a different line.

At one point in the 80s the Government did work at almost discouraging cruises ships since they were not seen as good revenue generators and I agree they got caught out. However they have recently invested millions in creating the new wharfs at the Dockyard and in improving the Dockyard in general and are very keen to maximize use and encourage the cruise ship tourist.

The north channel is narrow with reefs close by and clearly visible either side and it also has a relatively sharp turn. It is the responsibility of the captain working in conjunction with the Bermudian pilot to decide whether it is safe to navigate the channel and then whether it is feasible to dock. Unfortunately without destroying the reefs to enable a guaranteed visit to Bermuda, which is an appalling thought, there is little that can be done to get the newer mega cruise ships to dock. If I remember rightly there was a recent announcement that Holland America is starting to send smaller ships next year. Hopefully Princess will copycat NCL and send the Royal on a 3 day stop over in Bermuda.

Even the smaller ships can get in trouble though including the Norwegian Crown seen high and dry in 2006. 29805a.jpg

I remember going through that narrow channel last year on the Caribbean Princess, and was amazed that they could succeed even under the best of conditions. They travel mile after mile along the shoreline, between the narrow buoys, with the coral and the bottom of the ocean plainly seen right beside and under us. I hope our cruise on 8/4 fares as well.

Was it less expensive for Princess to stay at sea an extra day rather than go to Bermuda or lack of dock space??

Just wondering !!!

Can't see how it could be less expensive. One time we were just LATE arriving in Bermuda and every passenger received a $75 OBC.

I know people on CC have come to the defense of the Captain. I have to say his explanation was rather short and curt. Many people on board were very upset and many, like us, this wasn't the first time they missed Bermuda with Princess.

We were also on the 6/29 cruise and didn't find his explanation short and curt. He even spent time talking to some passengers on the 6th floor, explaining his decision. On the last day, if you read the log, it clearly explained how the decision was made.

Disappointed, yes. But safety was more important.

On another note, when we've missed ports on Princess or Carnival, we've had the port taxes refunded. Not so on RCCL. Their explanation was that they had to pay the port fees anyway. Sounds fishy to me!

cruiser429

We were also on the 6/29 cruise and didn't find his explanation short and curt. He even spent time talking to some passengers on the 6th floor, explaining his decision. On the last day, if you read the log, it clearly explained how the decision was made.

I beg to differ, there is one sentence in the log stating the reason for not going into Bermuda. Can you explain how the Dawn had no problems that same day? A review I read on the NCL board stated it was sunny when they docked. Also, the Explorer of the Seas which is just as big never has any trouble.

I thnk the cheerleaders for Princess need to take a step back and see the disappointment for MANY who missed Bermuda more than once with Princess.

Don't get me wrong, I realize the channel is narrow but if they are going to miss Bermuda as much as they do, they should either drop the port all together and go to another Caribbean Island in its place or send in a smaller ship to just call on Bermuda. Or maybe both.

At one point in the 80s the Government did work at almost discouraging cruises ships since they were not seen as good revenue generators and I agree they got caught out. However they have recently invested millions in creating the new wharfs at the Dockyard and in improving the Dockyard in general and are very keen to maximize use and encourage the cruise ship tourist.

The north channel is narrow with reefs close by and clearly visible either side and it also has a relatively sharp turn. It is the responsibility of the captain working in conjunction with the Bermudian pilot to decide whether it is safe to navigate the channel and then whether it is feasible to dock. Unfortunately without destroying the reefs to enable a guaranteed visit to Bermuda, which is an appalling thought, there is little that can be done to get the newer mega cruise ships to dock. If I remember rightly there was a recent announcement that Holland America is starting to send smaller ships next year. Hopefully Princess will copycat NCL and send the Royal on a 3 day stop over in Bermuda.

Even the smaller ships can get in trouble though including the Norwegian Crown seen high and dry in 2006. 29805a.jpg

In the defense of the poor NCL Crown (I was on that ship when it happened) this was when the ship was trying to get into Hamilton which only the smallest ships go to cause it is really tight there....:D:D

OK ... so I'll admit I'm a Princess cheerleader. We did the 9 day cruise in May of 2007. The weather was terrible ... we missed Bermuda. We dealt with it! If you want to blame Princess for the weather, then you're barking up the wrong tree. When the weather is good, they go to Bermuda. If the weather and winds are unfavorable, they have to skip it.

I might be able to get my Honda Civic in a parking place that is a no-go with a Crown Victoria. They're both cars, so they should both fit, huh? Definitely the same thing with ships. Each one has a different width and draft, and the number of decks definitely affects how the thing handles.

I agree with so many others ... if you want to go to Bermuda, fly in or take one of the smaller ships that spends more time. But if you choose to sail Princess and they can't make it in because of weather conditions, enjoy the extra day at sea. I know we did!

cindepOK ... so I'll admit I'm a Princess cheerleader. We did the 9 day cruise in May of 2007. The weather was terrible ... we missed Bermuda. We dealt with it! If you want to blame Princess for the weather, then you're barking up the wrong tree. When the weather is good, they go to Bermuda. If the weather and winds are unfavorable, they have to skip it.

I might be able to get my Honda Civic in a parking place that is a no-go with a Crown Victoria. They're both cars, so they should both fit, huh? Definitely the same thing with ships. Each one has a different width and draft, and the number of decks definitely affects how the thing handles.

I agree with so many others ... if you want to go to Bermuda, fly in or take one of the smaller ships that spends more time. But if you choose to sail Princess and they can't make it in because of weather conditions, enjoy the extra day at sea. I know we did!

Apparently you missed the part about the Dawn being able to dock and it being sunny. If Princess is going to have Bermuda as a port of call then they should be able to get in there on a regular basis. If the other lines were having problems then it would be an understandable risk. However, the others make it in everyweek with ships similar in size if not bigger than the CB. There is definitely a problem with Princess.

I truly wish the Princess cheerleaders could accept the fact that missing Bermuda not once but twice was a huge disappointment and not tell me to go fly there.

Apparently you missed the part about the Dawn being able to dock and it being sunny. If Princess is going to have Bermuda as a port of call then they should be able to get in there on a regular basis. If the other lines were having problems then it would be an understandable risk. However, the others make it in everyweek with ships similar in size if not bigger than the CB. There is definitely a problem with Princess.

I truly wish the Princess cheerleaders could accept the fact that missing Bermuda not once but twice was a huge disappointment and not tell me to go fly there.

I'm not a Princess cheerleader. I was on Princess in 2003 and returned for the first time on 6/29. The Dawn Princess didn't thrill us, so we weren't ready to jump onboard again.

Comparing the two ships you mention--Norwegian Dawn and Caribbean Princess, the CB has a much greater tonnage, makes for slower speed, because of the greater weight it carries. Not being a seaman, I can't say how this affects the ship moving through the channel, but the extra tonnage must have an effect.

Norwegian Dawn

GRT: 91740

Length: 965 ft

Beam: 106 ft

Speed: 25 knots

Passengers: 2244

Crew: 1100

Caribbean Princess

GRT: 112894

Length: 951 ft

Beam: 118 ft

Speed: 21 knots

Registry: Bermuda

Passengers: 3114

Crew: 1163

I'm not suggesting you fly to Bermuda. It's important to accept the fact that the two ships were not coming in at exactly the same time nor under the same conditions. It was unfortunate that we didn't get to Bermuda, but I'm not going to let it put a damper on the whole cruise.

Yes, it made it this weeks sailing 7/8-7/17. Last sailing 6/29-7/8 it did not. There was another sailing this year that didn't make it either.

Good Luck, I hope you make it to Bermuda. Other than missing Bermuda, we had a really nice cruise.

I'm not a Princess cheerleader. I was on Princess in 2003 and returned for the first time on 6/29. The Dawn Princess didn't thrill us, so we weren't ready to jump onboard again.

Comparing the two ships you mention--Norwegian Dawn and Caribbean Princess, the CB has a much greater tonnage, makes for slower speed, because of the greater weight it carries. Not being a seaman, I can't say how this affects the ship moving through the channel, but the extra tonnage must have an effect.

Norwegian Dawn

GRT: 91740

Length: 965 ft

Beam: 106 ft

Speed: 25 knots

Passengers: 2244

Crew: 1100

Caribbean Princess

GRT: 112894

Length: 951 ft

Beam: 118 ft

Speed: 21 knots

Registry: Bermuda

Passengers: 3114

Crew: 1163

I'm not suggesting you fly to Bermuda. It's important to accept the fact that the two ships were not coming in at exactly the same time nor under the same conditions. It was unfortunate that we didn't get to Bermuda, but I'm not going to let it put a damper on the whole cruise.

Not sure I follow u here....Its heavier therefore it goes slower:confused::confused:

Does that make it harder to go into the channel or am I missing something here, cause by size the Norwegian Dawn is longer....:eek: Just curious,,

Archived