Bermuda Cancelations ??

Jimjam

Our cruise on the CB in late May 2009, the stop in Bermuda was canceled due to rough seas.

I have recently read on these boards that cruises after ours that the stop in Bermuda were also canceled due to rough seas. Yet, as I read other cruise lines on these boards, i.e. Celebrity Summit and RC Explorer Of the Seas, NCL Dawn were IN Bermuda at the same time that Princess cruises were canceled. Why could these ships dock at Kings Wharf with no problem but the Cribbean Princess was unable due to rough seas?? Was it less expensive for Princess to stay at sea an extra day rather than go to Bermuda or lack of dock space??

Just wondering !!!

Our cruise on the CB in late May 2009, the stop in Bermuda was canceled due to rough seas.

I have recently read on these boards that cruises after ours that the stop in Bermuda were also canceled due to rough seas. Yet, as I read other cruise lines on these boards, i.e. Celebrity Summit and RC Explorer Of the Seas, NCL Dawn were IN Bermuda at the same time that Princess cruises were canceled. Why could these ships dock at Kings Wharf with no problem but the Cribbean Princess was unable due to rough seas?? Was it less expensive for Princess to stay at sea an extra day rather than go to Bermuda or lack of dock space??

Just wondering !!!

Some of the ships you mentioned dock at a totally different dock which has a different approach.

For a Grand Class ship to approach the West End dockyard, conditions have to just right.

The Captain makes the call, he's the pro.

In 2006 I remember the CRown missing Bermuda almost 50% of the time for the same reasons.

I doubt Princess does this to save money.

We talked with the captain at our vow renewal about them missing Bermuda the cruise before ours. He said that the approach to Kings Wharf is through a very narrow channel with strong currents surrounded by coral. It can be very dangerous to try to do it in less than perfect conditions, and between the captain and the local pilot, they make the decision. He stressed over and over that his main priority is the safety of the people on board.

It's a shame that Bermuda is missed quite often. It is a beautiful island and I think the best stop on the whole 9 day itinerary. We did the Repo to New York and were able to call on that port. We booked the same curise for next year and will be disappointed if we have to miss Bermuda. However, I do understand the safty risk and the fact that there is a good chance that we will not be able to dock. I may have to jump ship to another cruise line if I want to be sure to visit Bermuda again. I wish that Princess would have a 7 day cruise to Bermuda on a smaller ship. I am sure it would be a sell out.

Intersting.

We docked on the West End on June 27th while on the CB.

The water was like glass.

Sorry to hear you missed the opportunity.

It's a shame that Bermuda is missed quite often. It is a beautiful island and I think the best stop on the whole 9 day itinerary. We did the Repo to New York and were able to call on that port. We booked the same curise for next year and will be disappointed if we have to miss Bermuda. However, I do understand the safty risk and the fact that there is a good chance that we will not be able to dock. I may have to jump ship to another cruise line if I want to be sure to visit Bermuda again. I wish that Princess would have a 7 day cruise to Bermuda on a smaller ship. I am sure it would be a sell out.

I was on the 6/29 Caribbean princess sailing and while we were picking the cruise that we wanted to take it was between an 8 night Carnival that did not go to Bermuda and a 9 night Princess that did go to Bermuda which was quite a bit more money. We picked the Princess because of Bermuda and missed it anyway...haha. In the captains defense, there were some very strong winds that day and the sea's were pretty rough. Actually, it was the only day out of all 9 days that was pretty crappy, so we made the best of it and had a great vacation. For those of you going on this cruise later this summer, hope you make it and take pictures for me!!!!

Cruise ships often miss ports that to the naked, inexperienced eye seems like it's done just to annoy and upset the passengers. Once, we were supposed to go to Rhodes and there were two ships already in port yet we weren't able to make it through the channel to the dock. You should have heard the whining, moaning, groaning and calling the Captain a wimp until it was made known that the two cruise ships had been stuck there for two days, unable to make it out of port and probably wouldn't be able to leave for at least another day. A small, narrow ship is sometimes able to go where a taller, longer and wider ship such as the CB is unable to. Currents and tidal charts also have a major influence. In other words, one ship might be able to make it in because it's slightly smaller and the tide was high enough for the ship to enter port. A few minutes later and the wind could change, the currents could change, the tides could change and another ship isn't able to make it into port. Sometimes, the harbormaster doesn't allow a ship to come into port or they allow a local vessel in but by the time a cruise ship arrives, the tides/currents, etc. aren't right. The Captain and his staff have the marine information and weather forecast in hand and they make the decision based on whether it's safe for the ship to enter the harbor -- and leave -- for the safety of the ship and it's passengers. Unless you have all of the same information as the Captain and staff, one isn't in a position to second-guess or question their judgment.

Me, too! Maybe they'll stop wasting all those ships in Alaska (seen one ice cube, seen 'em all) and send one of the three little girls to Bermuda for a summer season. I did that cruise on the old Pacific and it was fabulous -- the ship moved from St. Georges to Hamilton to King's Wharf, too, so it wasn't just sitting still for the whole time. Great cruise, remains one of my top favourite vacations of all time.

Me, too! Maybe they'll stop wasting all those ships in Alaska (seen one ice cube, seen 'em all) and send one of the three little girls to Bermuda for a summer season. I did that cruise on the old Pacific and it was fabulous -- the ship moved from St. Georges to Hamilton to King's Wharf, too, so it wasn't just sitting still for the whole time. Great cruise, remains one of my top favourite vacations of all time.
One thing to keep in mind is that Bermuda DOESN'T WANT the cruise ships. For years, they made it extremely difficult and severely limited which ships were allowed within Bermudan waters. In order for a cruise ship to stop in Bermuda, it had to be approved by the Government. That's a major reason why there aren't more cruises there and why once the old Pacific Princess left the fleet, there wasn't another Princess ship for several years.

One thing to keep in mind is that Bermuda DOESN'T WANT the cruise ships. For years, they made it extremely difficult and severely limited which ships were allowed within Bermudan waters. In order for a cruise ship to stop in Bermuda, it had to be approved by the Government. That's a major reason why there aren't more cruises there and why once the old Pacific Princess left the fleet, there wasn't another Princess ship for several years.

Interesting since many of (or maybe all?) of the Princess fleet is flagged Bermudan, Hamilton, no?

I was on the 6/29 Caribbean princess sailing and while we were picking the cruise that we wanted to take it was between an 8 night Carnival that did not go to Bermuda and a 9 night Princess that did go to Bermuda which was quite a bit more money. We picked the Princess because of Bermuda and missed it anyway...haha. In the captains defense, there were some very strong winds that day and the sea's were pretty rough. Actually, it was the only day out of all 9 days that was pretty crappy, so we made the best of it and had a great vacation. For those of you going on this cruise later this summer, hope you make it and take pictures for me!!!!

I was also on this cruise. When we woke up on the morning that we were to be in Bermuda, the wind was blowing across the deck at Force 7 (31-38mph) with gusts over 40mph. It was also raining quite heavily. This is near gale conditions and I applaud the Captain's decision to skip the call.

That being said, I do think that Princess should really consider docking at one of the other ports if this is such a pervasive occurence at West End. I, along with everyone else on the ship, was disappointed to have missed Bermuda...sigh. Someone onboard was calling for a class-action lawsuit for false advertising...:rolleyes:

This is absolutely not true. Pam, you are always very quick to rebuke others who post incorrect information - please do not do it yourself. The Government regulates cruise ships so that the island is not overwhelmed with cruise pax.

I do not know why the CB didn't come in a couple of times recently; true the weather was not good but the NCL regular callers came in as usual on the same days. Admittedly, they are smaller than the CB, that's maybe it.

Oh, by the way, it's Bermudian, not Bermudan.

As in many things..SizE DOES MATTER..

:cool:

I do so wish, many other places in the World were as nice and well run as your Islands and Government is.

:cool:

This is absolutely not true. Pam, you are always very quick to rebuke others who post incorrect information - please do not do it yourself. The Government regulates cruise ships so that the island is not overwhelmed with cruise pax.

I do not know why the CB didn't come in a couple of times recently; true the weather was not good but the NCL regular callers came in as usual on the same days. Admittedly, they are smaller than the CB, that's maybe it.

Oh, by the way, it's Bermudian, not Bermudan.

The only dock any of these large ships can go to is the Dockyard, They just expanded it so two large ships can dock at once. At times NCL anchors off of it due to the number of ships in port and tenders. Next year HAL is going to run one of the smaller ships from NYC that can get into Hamilton and at present NCL Majesty goes into St George I believe.

NCL does not dock at the same dock.

Actually, the Norwegian Spirit and the Norwegian Dream and the CB all come down the same channel and use Kings Wharf / Heritage Wharf - the two docks being part of the same complex. On the days that the CB bypassed Bermuda recently, either the Spirit or the Dawn came in and docked. The same dock is also used by the Grandeur of the Seas and the Explorer of the Seas and they have not missed any visits recently either.

Only the Norwegian Majesty (being much smaller) goes through Town Cut into St Georges.

Could be. I don't think the bigger Princess ships handle well in crosswinds.

This is just my opinion of why some ships make it in and others don't.

The NCL and RCCL ships are in Bermuda for several days, so the window to dock is much longer. They can wait out the winds until conditions are better because Bermuda is their only destination. The CB has a limited time on the island and if conditions aren't just right, there really isn't much "play" time to wait.

I agree! If Bermuda is missed on our upcoming cruise, I will be understanding, but disappointed too.

I also wish Princess or RCI (it would be perfect for their Radiance class ships) would have 7 day cruises to Bermuda from NY/Boston/Philly, etc. We did this on the old Home Lines many years ago, and it was wonderful.

Some of the ships you mentioned dock at a totally different dock which has a different approach.

For a Grand Class ship to approach the West End dockyard, conditions have to just right.

The Captain makes the call, he's the pro.

In 2006 I remember the CRown missing Bermuda almost 50% of the time for the same reasons.

I doubt Princess does this to save money.

Does know for sure what the percentages have been recently? We are due sail on the CB on 7/26/09. I believe Princess should reconsider even offering this as stop if is a fact that over 40% to 50% of the time they can't get into port, for whatever reason. If they know this why offer it at all. I completely understand that on any given cruise you can miss ports etc, but this seems to be an ongoing problem with this class of ship and this particular port. If consumers are not being informed before hand, then I can understand there disappointment and frustration. From my personal expierence when we booked last year I did book this cruise based on the extra day and Berumda, and was kinda of surprised to learn my many that we should be aware that we made not be able to stop there. If so many know this then why doesn't princess acknowledge it some how before you book or as stated earlier, don't offer it all.

This year when I booked, I was fully aware that there was a strong chance that we may miss this port, and based my booking knowing that.

I just think people are much happier knowing before hand.

Could be. I don't think the bigger Princess ships handle well in crosswinds.

Yes, that's because the Caribbean Princess is significantly bigger and taller than the NCL ships. She's over 20k tons larger than the NCL Dawn and over 35k tons larger than the NCL Spirit. That size and the fact that she has more decks obviously contribute to her inability to traverse the channel in high winds.

This is just my opinion of why some ships make it in and others don't.

The NCL and RCCL ships are in Bermuda for several days, so the window to dock is much longer. They can wait out the winds until conditions are better because Bermuda is their only destination. The CB has a limited time on the island and if conditions aren't just right, there really isn't much "play" time to wait.

This sounds quite reasonable.

Actually, the Norwegian Spirit and the Norwegian Dream and the CB all come down the same channel and use Kings Wharf / Heritage Wharf - the two docks being part of the same complex. On the days that the CB bypassed Bermuda recently, either the Spirit or the Dawn came in and docked. The same dock is also used by the Grandeur of the Seas and the Explorer of the Seas and they have not missed any visits recently either.

Only the Norwegian Majesty (being much smaller) goes through Town Cut into St Georges.

Well its a judgement call and the powers to be on the particular Princess ship decide for safety reasons to skip docking. Does it matter whether NCL/RCCL make it in or not, No. The point is Princess does not do this to save money as a few mention.

Archived