Afternoon Tea

k9mama

The leftovers (ones not served) from the afternoon tea goes to the buffet!

My Gripe: The tea has never been hot enough for me and there were never cucumber sandwiches -- so I gave up on the afternoon teas!

When I was on the Diamond in June, I tried to get scones at the buffet but they didn't have any. I ended up going to the tea instead.

judy

After reading how much fun afternoon tea seems to be, I am definitley going to try it when we cruise in February. I do have a question about scones, though. What are they exactly? I understand what you would do with the jelly, but what do you do with the cream? Those of you who are very tea savvy will probably laugh at my question, and I am eagerly waiting for your response!

After reading how much fun afternoon tea seems to be, I am definitley going to try it when we cruise in February. I do have a question about scones, though. What are they exactly? I understand what you would do with the jelly, but what do you do with the cream? Those of you who are very tea savvy will probably laugh at my question, and I am eagerly waiting for your response!

A scone is a "rich bisquit", by rich, I mean sweet and thick......Yummy! My husband could eat at least 12, at a sitting. He takes the cream [like whipped cream, only thicker], with strawberry jam and slathers it inside [he either splits the scone or carves out a cave, in it.]

You must try them!

The scone is a small British quickbread (or cake if recipe includes sugar) of Scottish origin. Scones are especially popular in the United Kingdom, Australia, Ireland and Canada, but are eaten in many other countries. They are usually made of wheat, barley or oatmeal, with baking powder as a leavening agent. The scone is a basic component of the cream tea or Devonshire tea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scone_(bread)

Scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream as commonly eaten in a Cream Tea. Since the scone is a bit dry, the jam and cream add to the taste and moisture. I use both, but it is to taste.

Tea_and_scones.jpg

The are kind of like a biscuit. I have seen many different techniques. Some break it or cut it in half and spread the jam and cream (think whipped cream, not liquid) all across. Others break off small pieces and dip it in the jam and cream. I myself usually take small pieces and spread small amounts of the jam and cream on with my knife. I'm sure there is a proper way. Maybe one of our posters from the UK can fill us in!

My Gripe: The tea has never been hot enough for me and there were never cucumber sandwiches -- so I gave up on the afternoon teas!

You may be pleased to hear that the Sapphire had cucumber sandwiches last week, however the cream is thick whipped rather than clotted but it is still a delightful occasion.

The are kind of like a biscuit. I have seen many different techniques. Some break it or cut it in half and spread the jam and cream (think whipped cream, not liquid) all across. Others break off small pieces and dip it in the jam and cream. I myself usually take small pieces and spread small amounts of the jam and cream on with my knife. I'm sure there is a proper way. Maybe one of our posters from the UK can fill us in!

As taught in 1968 at Britannia Royal Naval College:

Cut the scone into two halves. Put jam on each side, there is no need to add butter first. Spread cream on top carefully. Some people prefer to add the jam on top of the cream, although this can be more difficult.

Eat the halves separately. Do not try to make them into a sandwich.

Cut the scone into two halves. Put jam on each side, there is no need to add butter first. Spread cream on top carefully. Some people prefer to add the jam on top of the cream, although this can be more difficult.

Thank you! I am taking MIL and DD out to tea in a couple of weeks to celebrate their birthdays and I will be sure to employ this method. I will feel ever so proper now!

Funny story. Was on the Golden in Feb. At tea everyone was wondering what kind of tea it was. I said, Lipton, but they all got bent out of shape. I asked one of the servers. He said "Lipton", I just smiled

My wife was told it was Lipton on our cruise to Alaska as well.

My wife was told it was Lipton on our cruise to Alaska as well.

They used to use an Earl Grey for the afternoon teas. I would be disappointed if that has changed. I prefer a little more robust flavor, but I'll still go even if it is just the Lipton.

Using the Lipton probably would be less expensive. :(

They used to use an Earl Grey for the afternoon teas. I would be disappointed if that has changed. I prefer a little more robust flavor, but I'll still go even if it is just the Lipton.

Using the Lipton probably would be less expensive. :(

You can request earl grey and they should provide it although it always seems to cause some fluster

I guess there are all different ways of eating a Scone, but I was taught by my Welsh Father & Grandmother to cut the Scone in half, place the Jam on first and top with the Clotted Cream. That is how I have always had them and while I visited Wales and England and had 'Tea' with Scones in local Tea-houses, I noticed other locals ate their Scones this way also. But each to their own...just as long as you enjoy them! ;)

One more thing.... always place the cream (or milk) in your cup first before pouring (out) the Tea into the cup. We 'Yanks' seem to forget to do that and always add our cream after the Tea is in the cup. LOL

Oh, not cream in English tea! It needs to be milk - and yes, you put it in first, or at least I do. Cream is much too heavy, don't forget that tea is a delicate drink, not like coffee which is so much more robust.

We love the afternoon tea on Princess. The waiters with their gloves, the little sandwiches, and of course the scones, and the pastries. It's like something from the past, so civilised. And so very British. We don't go every day, or the pounds would pile on even more than they already do, but it's a lovely experience.

Hi Mona,

The use of tea bags nowadays makes it not necessary to put the milk in first. I am not sure what they use on Princess. I know it was tea bags in the dining room at breakfast.

I have never found anybody who takes cream in their tea but you never know.

This is a very civilised thread.:D

We only saw cucumber sandwiches once in 4 teas we attended.

And one day, the lady seated with us did say that the tea was not hot enough (we heard the same thing at breakfast one morning, from some nice people from Kent, England).

So I guess those might be ongoing problems.

Ooooo, that means I ate them properly! :D

Wish I was eating some now.....

I enjoyed the afternoon tea experience, but I couldn't eat too much because our dinner was around 6. The sandwiches were good and it was cute how all the waiters had their white gloves.

Unfortunately we sat next to a table with guests who do not have proper table etiquette and were clanging the cup/saucer REALLY LOUD every time they stirred their tea.

Interesting to see the number of people using their hands vs. people who used fork and knife for the sandwiches.

All in all, I love afternoon tea! :)

I agree with many of the posts above, expect about alternate beverages. It seems that if a beverage is available in the dining room during breakfast, lunch and/or dinner, it is available during afternoon tea.

From my experience...during tea, you may purchase practically any alcohol drink or soda. You may also purchase any specialty coffee during tea. Also available is iced tea and the infamous regular/decaf coffees made from syrup.

However, I have never been able to get lemonade in the dining room at any time. It seems that lemonade is only available in the buffet areas on the Lido deck.

I usually stick with decaf coffee or herbal tea during afternoon tea, although I'd prefer lemonade. Once I brought my own special herbal tea (rooibos) bag, and just asked for a pot of hot water.

I agree with many of the posts above, expect about alternate beverages. It seems that if a beverage is available in the dining room during breakfast, lunch and/or dinner, it is available during afternoon tea.

From my experience...during tea, you may purchase practically any alcohol drink or soda. You may also purchase any specialty coffee during tea. Also available is iced tea and the infamous regular/decaf coffees made from syrup.

I usually stick with decaf coffee or herbal tea during afternoon tea, although I'd prefer lemonade. Once I brought my own special herbal tea (rooibos) bag, and just asked for a pot of hot water.

If available do your self a favour and please try lapsang souchong if it is being offered, no other tea will ever do after trying it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapsang_souchong

No milk required.

Archived