Radiance Review part 1

Betsie

Good Morning All

We were on the Radiance 12/5 cruise out of Miami - it has been so completely nuts that I'm just getting my review done now. Because I enjoyed reading everyone elses review, I thought I would do my first one.

This will be faily long (I think) and probably take several parts to complete.

We left 12/4 from Newport News, VA flying Air Tran, our first and maybe last try for both the airport AND the airline. We had a 5:40 AM flight, which meant getting up at about 3AM. Checked in and boarded the plane.....5:30....5:40 and we have not moved - I'm thinking something is wrong. The pilot comes on and tells us that due to a mechanical problem we will all have to get off the plane. So....we stand in line to see about making other arrangements as that is what the airline told us to do. 2 HOURS later, we finally get to the ticket agent only to find out that the mechanical problem was that the emergency medical kit was expired......I was speechless (which is unusual for me). They booked us on US Air leaving at 10am - getting us into FLL at about 2:45 (we were supposed to arrive at 9:55AM). Arrived in FLL, picked up the rental car from Hertz and drove to our precruise hotel - Best Western Miami Beach. This hotel is right on the beach and we had hoped to enjoy the day swimming etc with our two children 17yodd and 9yods, but got checked in about 4:00 and were STARVING!! The lobby was by far the best part of the hotel, but the room was not bad for $79 (booked directly thru the hotel). Parking was $15

We got some quick dinner and the kids and I headed out to the pool - walked on the beach and saw one of the ships sailing away at about 5:45. That really built on the excitement for the following morning. I think we were all asleep by 7pm as we were exausted!!

Embarkation day

We were up early to find the rental car return, had some breakfast and dh dropped me, the kids and the luggage at the pier and went to return the car. We were super early as we were excited and wanted to snag an upgrade. Met some great folks in the waiting area and had a nice chat. Began the boarding process with those getting married and diamond and platinum memebers going first. I think they started at about 11:00. We checked in and went to the pier coordinator to see about the upgrade. DD was standing in that line, so we were first up. I would have thought the folks working that desk would have more information about specifically what cabins were available. Thankfully, I had been checking on line up to the day we left, so I had a pretty good idea. The RS was available (although we did not know that until later), but we didn't feel that was worth the extra $600. We were able to upgrade from and E1 balcony to an OS. The room was fabulous and were were thrilled!!!!! We were on the ship at 11:34, so you can see this all went pretty quickly and we even had time for a cookie in the C&A lounge.

Cabins were not available until 1:00, so we checked our carryons in the dining room and headed to the Windjammer for lunch. I just love the Radiance class ships with the outside seating, so of course we made a beeline for the AFT. DS had a desert only first meal aboard, while the rest of us sampled a more varied fare. Did a little exploring and the went to the cabin. Again....I cannot say enough about how great this was -with me and 17yo dd getting ready the oversize bathroom was a huge plus!! The luggage was a real issue, however. I knew it would go to the other room and at least three times we mentioned that and gave our previous cabin number. One bag came before dinner and after dinner dh had to go to guest relations and have someone physically go to our previous cabin - of course the luggage was just sitting there waiting......

Dinner the first night was great - I found the food very much the same as our previous two cruises - definately tasty, but I wonder if anyone else gets a little bored with the same options.....not that I'm complaining - anything I don't have to cook is more than OK with me. Tablemates were interesting.....we have never had quite as good a group as on our first cruise, but it is entertaining to meet new people and get to know their personalities.

The car was definately worth it with four people and all associated luggage. In addition, we really like having the freedom to come and go when we please and don't want to be "stuck" either waiting for the shuttle or not being able to go somewhere on a whim. I think the cost you are talking about is per person from what we have looked into previously, so again with four it really is a better deal.

and the upgrade was $400 total (not per person). Just needed to ask the CSR for the pier coordinator. There was also a sign at the end of the desk.

Archived