Venice & Doges Palace

KarenR_UK

We've booked a ships tour that includes the Doges Palace.

They say 'Bags must be left in a secure store'

Is this all bags or are small handbags (purses) allowed in?

We understand the no flash photography rule - is non flash (i.e. digital) allowed? - if not, is it permissible to carry the camera/phone in the small handbag (assuming that is allowed :)), or does it HAVE to go into the secure store?

Ditto Camcorders - again we understand the no-use rule, but can it be kept in the handbag?

I'm sure it will all be explained by the guide, but having had an experience where our guide said it was OK to use (non-flash) cameras at one site, then a guide from another tour group telling off the people in our group for doing so, I just wondered what others knowledge of the situation was

----- Edit

Ok

So the new sub forums confused me - I wondered why there were so few posts about Italy & Venice:D

A quick search on the main forum brought this up

No pictures are allowed inside the rooms of the Doges palace in Venice. You can take the camera round with you & take pics up the golden staircase or in the courtyard or leaning out of windows but no pictures allowed in the rooms.

Most other places its no flash.

jo

Does anyone else have any knowledge about Cameras and / or Camcorders?

Karen

(off to do some more searching :))

We visited in April as part of a ship's tour. Once inside, our guide directed those with rucksack type bags to a desk where it was exchanged for a token. The bag was then reclaimed at the end of the visit. Camcorders and cameras could still be carried. A very interesting building and good to visit with a guide.

We visited in April as part of a ship's tour. Once inside, our guide directed those with rucksack type bags to a desk where it was exchanged for a token. The bag was then reclaimed at the end of the visit. Camcorders and cameras could still be carried. A very interesting building and good to visit with a guide.

Thanks

With so many ships in port that day, we thought we ought to take a tour if we were going to see anything :)

We just toured the Doges Palace on our own last Sunday. We carried our purses with no problem and used the camera without flash. It was 90 degrees out and there is lots of up and down stairs. I enjoyed seeing it but would not have been happy with a tour running at a slower pace.

We just toured the Doges Palace on our own last Sunday. We carried our purses with no problem and used the camera without flash. It was 90 degrees out and there is lots of up and down stairs. I enjoyed seeing it but would not have been happy with a tour running at a slower pace.

CJF;

I assume you did this on your own, did you buy the tickets online?

Ship tour overpriced and slow in my book. Your thoughts please.

Thanks

Bob

Use the same web site to learn about other ticket groups that can be purchased. Try buying your ticket at the musuem across the square from the Doges. (great rest rooms inside), visit the Doges, see St Mark's (note there are three other tours inside that are available for fee), see the academi (across the bridge), vaporetta to the third museum on your group ticket) and then wander the back alleys back to St Mark's square for people watching and view of the cities hidden alley ways (Friar's church is interesting. Get GELATO. The Secrets tour is interesting and on a different combo ticket - but hot, and really a lot about Casanova's escapes and holding cell.

Just got back from 6/24 sailing of Oosterdam from Venice. We stayed 2 nights pre-cruise in Venice + extra night on the ship. If you have more than a day in Venice, I would suggest go to Correr Museum (on the Piazza San Marco) and get the San Marco Museum Pass, wich covers Correr Museum and Doges Palace. Correr Museum is rarely crowded as most tourists just mob the Palace and Basillica and you often find very long lines there duiring peak hours. While there, tour the Correr Museum as it is really a facinating museum. Then when it is less crowded in the late afternoon, then swing by to visit the Palace, no line and with the pass you walk right in. In summer time, Doges Palace opens late (check the time) and by late afternoon, most of the land based tour groups have come and gone.

So, if you have just a day in Venice, I would...

10AM: Hit the Correr Museum to get the pass and tour the museum. If this museum is not your cup of tea, then at least the pass would allow you to get in to Doges Palace without waiting in line... but see the Correr Museum, you won't regret it.... OK, if you really don't like musuems, then go to the Basilica early AM just when it opens to avoid lines, then get the Pass later.

During peak hours, visit places that does not need waiting in lines: Fenice Opera house, Rialto Bridge, Frari Church (Academia is nice but if you don't have time, then skip it and do Frari Church and the near by Scuola di San Rocco), do some shoppings, have a nice lunch, rest up...

Then 5pm head for the Palace and do your tour. Summer time close around 7PM I think, but please double check. We were there around 4PM, and no line. July and August may be more busy, but this strategy should still work well. Have fun!! We love Venice!

Kevin

Kevin;

Ship arrives Friday 25 Sept, tried to book tickets on Viator for Doges palace but all they have is Saturdays, can I buy tickets there?

Was planning to do Basilca on saturday morning, is the vaporetto(18Eur) pass worth it, how about the glass place.

Thanks

Bob

Kevin;

Ship arrives Friday 25 Sept, tried to book tickets on Viator for Doges palace but all they have is Saturdays, can I buy tickets there?

Was planning to do Basilca on saturday morning, is the vaporetto(18Eur) pass worth it, how about the glass place.

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob,

No need to buy the tickets in advance as you can just buy the Pass I mentioned at Correr Museum (opens 10 AM), no line, then walk over to Doges Palace. The pass would allow you to cut through the line and go right in. Unless you are talking about some special tour within the palace, other wise, get the Rick Steve's guide book on Italy (covers Venice, Rome, Cinque Terre, Naples, Florence, especially if you are visiting one of these other ports too) and you are good to do this one your own. If you want to save a few bucks, feel free to email me and I'll be happy to send you the book, and if you don't mind mail it back after you are done, that would be great.

I assume this is one of your stop on route to somewhere and not your first nor final stop? Overnight in Venice? Since we arrived a couple of days before our cruise, we did not have to buy any vaporetto tickets as Venice is very walkable (depends on your physical condition). But since you are coming from the port, then get the 24hrs pass, but makes sure you stamp the ticket in one of the yellow machine before boarding (time starts when you stamp it), or you risk a fine (though I don't see them checking anyone last time I was there).

If you want to visit Murano for the glass factory and don't want to pay the water taxi, then go to the front desk of hotel (if you are staying at a hotel) and tell them that. They will arrange a free ride over to Murano to a glass factory they are associated with and given a tour. If you are not staying at a hotel then walk along the bank near San Marco Square and you should find plenty of signs offering free tour to Murano. Like any such tour, there will be some pressure to buy, but of course you are not obligated. If you decided to wander after touring the glass factory, then you will need to find a way back and you can do this by vaporetto boat when you are ready. My guess is, unless you are really into these Venitian glass thing, there are plenty of things to see and do in Venice.

Venice is a wonderful city.... when all the tourists are gone, so early AM and late PM and night time are especially good. Remember to enjoy the night time cafes on St. Mark's square and enjoy the live music, and use the vaporetto back to port.

Kevin

Hi Bob,

No need to buy the tickets in advance as you can just buy the Pass I mentioned at Correr Museum (opens 10 AM), no line, then walk over to Doges Palace. The pass would allow you to cut through the line and go right in. Unless you are talking about some special tour within the palace, other wise, get the Rick Steve's guide book on Italy (covers Venice, Rome, Cinque Terre, Naples, Florence, especially if you are visiting one of these other ports too) and you are good to do this one your own. If you want to save a few bucks, feel free to email me and I'll be happy to send you the book, and if you don't mind mail it back after you are done, that would be great.

I assume this is one of your stop on route to somewhere and not your first nor final stop? Overnight in Venice? Since we arrived a couple of days before our cruise, we did not have to buy any vaporetto tickets as Venice is very walkable (depends on your physical condition). But since you are coming from the port, then get the 24hrs pass, but makes sure you stamp the ticket in one of the yellow machine before boarding (time starts when you stamp it), or you risk a fine (though I don't see them checking anyone last time I was there).

If you want to visit Murano for the glass factory and don't want to pay the water taxi, then go to the front desk of hotel (if you are staying at a hotel) and tell them that. They will arrange a free ride over to Murano to a glass factory they are associated with and given a tour. If you are not staying at a hotel then walk along the bank near San Marco Square and you should find plenty of signs offering free tour to Murano. Like any such tour, there will be some pressure to buy, but of course you are not obligated. If you decided to wander after touring the glass factory, then you will need to find a way back and you can do this by vaporetto boat when you are ready. My guess is, unless you are really into these Venitian glass thing, there are plenty of things to see and do in Venice.

Venice is a wonderful city.... when all the tourists are gone, so early AM and late PM and night time are especially good. Remember to enjoy the night time cafes on St. Mark's square and enjoy the live music, and use the vaporetto back to port.

Kevin

Kevin;

Great info, here is my plan as we arrive @ 13;00 figure it will be 1;30 when we get off, I plan to immediately buy a vaporetto pass(if I can find where), then I will head to the museum and buy the card, if there is no line then do the Doges Place and then the Museum, after then then i would walk around as it would be evening, any nice eating places that will not break the bank, I am adventurous. figure nest morning we would do the Basilica, then is we have time? I am not a shopper just like looking and going on. any thoughts, figure the ship leave at 14:00.

cruisinbob

Hi Bob,

The key thing is not be too rush. This is a beautiful city with lots of culture, art, history and good cafes :D so don't rush, soak in all that's around you and do it at a pace that's reasonable. This is a city you would want to come back again and again, and if you treat it like most land based tour groups treat it, the whole thing will be just a big blur for you. Go up the Campinile elevator late afternoon to see all the Venice bellow you, you will have the place practically all to yourself with no lines. Amazing views, but cover your ears when the bells start tolling ;)

Since we used water taxi for transfer to port, they dock us literally right next to the ship, for Vaparetto, I think it's about 10-15 min walk.

Enjoy Venice, and hope you would love it as much as we do.

Kevin

Hi Bob,

The key thing is not be too rush. This is a beautiful city with lots of culture, art, history and good cafes :D so don't rush, soak in all that's around you and do it at a pace that's reasonable. This is a city you would want to come back again and again, and if you treat it like most land based tour groups treat it, the whole thing will be just a big blur for you. Go up the Campinile elevator late afternoon to see all the Venice bellow you, you will have the place practically all to yourself with no lines. Amazing views, but cover your ears when the bells start tolling ;)

Since we used water taxi for transfer to port, they dock us literally right next to the ship, for Vaparetto, I think it's about 10-15 min walk.

Enjoy Venice, and hope you would love it as much as we do.

Kevin

Ok, you used the water taxi unlimited that was offered by the ship, I assume better than the pass?

Campinile Elevator where is that located?

How as the Basicillca tour, and did you get your tickets online before?

thanks

bob

Ok, you used the water taxi unlimited that was offered by the ship, I assume better than the pass?

Campinile Elevator where is that located?

How as the Basicillca tour, and did you get your tickets online before?

thanks

bob

Sorry for the confusion. Campinile is the tall brown bell tower on San Marco square which is the tallest building in Venice. Take the elevator inside straight to the top for wonderful view of Venice.

Basilica is free, but they limit how many people can go in at one time. You do have to pay to see the altar piece and treasury. No line first in in AM.

Sorry for the confusion. Campinile is the tall brown bell tower on San Marco square which is the tallest building in Venice. Take the elevator inside straight to the top for wonderful view of Venice.

Basilica is free, but they limit how many people can go in at one time. You do have to pay to see the altar piece and treasury. No line first in in AM.

Kevin;

Do you suggest the cruise water taxi is as good as the local since you do not need to walk and there is more then enough to see in the square area?

any recommends for dinner?

Is Basillica open late?

any charge for going up the Campinile?

bob

We were there a little before you. Agree that we never had to check bags. However, cameras were not allowed to be used inside anywhere, even without a flash.

It will be much less crowded after the morning and early afternoon rush. If you can, visit after 2:00 p.m. No lines then for us.

Just got back from 6/24 sailing of Oosterdam from Venice. We stayed 2 nights pre-cruise in Venice + extra night on the ship. If you have more than a day in Venice, I would suggest go to Correr Museum (on the Piazza San Marco) and get the San Marco Museum Pass, wich covers Correr Museum and Doges Palace. Is it cheaper to get the tix in Venice, or buy them on line b4 visiting. I had thought we should visit early in the am, but you brought a good point of tour groups being gone in the afternoon. Did you do the Secret Itinerary-is it worth it? can you buy the secret itinerary tour at the Correr Museum

So, if you have just a day in Venice, I would...

10AM: Hit the Correr Museum to get the pass and tour the museum. If this museum is not your cup of tea, then at least the pass would allow you to get in to Doges Palace without waiting in line... but see the Correr Museum, you won't regret it.... OK, if you really don't like musuems, then go to the Basilica early AM just when it opens to avoid lines, then get the Pass later.

During peak hours, visit places that does not need waiting in lines: Fenice Opera house, Rialto Bridge, Frari Church (Academia is nice but if you don't have time, then skip it and do Frari Church and the near by Scuola di San Rocco), do some shoppings, have a nice lunch, rest up...

Then 5pm head for the Palace and do your tour. Summer time close around 7PM I think, but please double check. We were there around 4PM, and no line. July and August may be more busy, but this strategy should still work well. Have fun!! We love Venice!

Kevin

thank you

linda

Kevin;

Do you suggest the cruise water taxi is as good as the local since you do not need to walk and there is more then enough to see in the square area?

any recommends for dinner?

Is Basillica open late?

any charge for going up the Campinile?

bob

We used the local water taxi as the time we used was from pre-cruise hotel to the ship. There is a small charge up the Campanile, but you can stay as long as you wish.

Here is a view from top of the Campanile, as you can see down bellow, the crowd has thinned out considerably by late afternoon.

SDC10066.jpg

Hi Linda,

Not sure if it's cheaper buying in Venice, and we did not do the secret itinerary as there are plenty to see. We used the Rick Steves guide book and it is very good.

Here is the giant stair case in the Doges Palace, while you can't walk this stair case, but as you can see from the photo, hardly anyone on the balcony or any of the open windows. This is about 4pm or so.

SDC10098.jpg

We used the local water taxi as the time we used was from pre-cruise hotel to the ship. There is a small charge up the Campanile, but you can stay as long as you wish.

Here is a view from top of the Campanile, as you can see down bellow, the crowd has thinned out considerably by late afternoon.

SDC10066.jpg

Kevin;

I guess the cruise ship water taxi is the best deal due to time, correct?

any recommends on dinner in Venice?

Bob

We ate at one of the quite canal side restaurant few blocks behind St. Mark's square, and world's away from tourists. It is near Ponte del Greci. There are two restaurant one next to the other. We ate at the Trattoria da Giorgio ai Greci and the other is Ristorante Alla Conchiglia. Go early for canal side tables. The ravioli, calamari, fish and pasta we have are all fantastic... This is Venice, so not exactly cheap if you add wine ;).

The view from our canal side table

SDC10040.jpg

Kevin

Archived