Puttin' on the Ritz!

Q-step

The fact that QM2 was more formal than other ships is why I booked my crossing. I want to relive the grandeur of the ocean liners of the 20’s & 30’s. Dressing formally, popping champagne corks, tripping the light fantastic to a live orchestra- these are the selling points for me. I even wish that one of the nights would be white tie. Imagine how great that would look. Why it might even look like then pictures on the Cunard website.

But if another passenger wants to sail not as formally, that’s OK with me. To each his own. But I will be greatly disappointed if the majority of my fellow passengers feel that way. Maybe I’m being foolish in thinking that others share my viewpoint. There are a lot of threads started by people who don’t want to wear tuxes and gowns. But I hope my crossing is straight out of a Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers’ movie.

Am I being realistic? Or doomed for disappointment?

I'm with you. We love to dress up and go out on the town. Fortunately, we have lots of opportunities to do so in our lives ashore and we certainly take advantage of those additional opportunities at sea.

Even our little holiday cruise on the QM2 last 4th of July was pretty snazzy. There were a few folks who tried to dress down, but they looked very out of place. There were even a few in white tie and tails.

A few years back we were both sick on New Years Eve. We cuddled up on the couch and watch a Fred and Ginger marathon long into the night. Even sick and in our jammies it made us feel like we had enjoyed an elegant holiday evening.

Hi Q Step,

No, you will not be disappointed! You certainly wont be alone if "dressed to the nines" on a Cunard crossing. I will be on your Eastbound voyage in August and am busy planning my outfits! There are so few places where one can really dress up and not look out of place, but a Cunard Crossing is one of them. The sight on formal night is stunning, and I hope to see you there!

Regards, Gill

The fact that QM2 was more formal than other ships is why I booked my crossing. I want to relive the grandeur of the ocean liners of the 20’s & 30’s. Dressing formally, popping champagne corks, tripping the light fantastic to a live orchestra- these are the selling points for me. I even wish that one of the nights would be white tie. Imagine how great that would look. Why it might even look like then pictures on the Cunard website.

But if another passenger wants to sail not as formally, that’s OK with me. To each his own. But I will be greatly disappointed if the majority of my fellow passengers feel that way. Maybe I’m being foolish in thinking that others share my viewpoint. There are a lot of threads started by people who don’t want to wear tuxes and gowns. But I hope my crossing is straight out of a Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers’ movie.

So many on these boards try to reassure people who do not want to dress formally that they will not feel out of place. Perhaps they will not. But the truth is that Cunard is formal--VERY formal !! The brochures present a correct picture of what to expect. We are with the OP's about the "feel" of a formal night--it seems there is no place else on earth to enjoy that anymore. In the middle of our last QM2 cruise, one of the young waitresses said "You two always look like old time movie stars" !!! Then she quickly became embarrassed and said--"OH--I didn't mean you are old (which we are)". No offense taken-we were delighted !! Wonderful to step back in time for a little fantasy and romance!!

What a breath of fresh air on a hot Tennessee morning. Thanks for your post. I don't think you will be disappointed in your crossing. I think you will find that it is everything for which you hope and more.

Have you read Penny's review? If not, she so eloquently describes the wonderful atmosphere on the QM2.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Beth

What a breath of fresh air on a hot Tennessee morning. Thanks for your post. I don't think you will be disappointed in your crossing. I think you will find that it is everything for which you hope and more.

Have you read Penny's review? If not, she so eloquently describes the wonderful atmosphere on the QM2.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Beth

Thank you Beth for your comments and for pointing me towards Penny's review. We're excited about stepping out with everyone on the crossing. I actually own more tuxedos than suits but that's because I can never seem to discard an old tux that no longer fits. I keep telling myself that some day I'll get back into it.

Of course we also like to get down and dance the night away in Nashville, TN whenever we get the chance. Great city with outstanding bands. I just leave the tux at home. It clashes with my boots.

Thank you Beth for your comments and for pointing me towards Penny's review. We're excited about stepping out with everyone on the crossing. I actually own more tuxedos than suits but that's because I can never seem to discard an old tux that no longer fits. I keep telling myself that some day I'll get back into it.

Of course we also like to get down and dance the night away in Nashville, TN whenever we get the chance. Great city with outstanding bands. I just leave the tux at home. It clashes with my boots.

Isn't Penny's review amazing!!! You will also want to read Pepper's excellent review of his crossing. His photos are also outstanding.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514324

How interesting that you visit Nashville and enjoy dancing there. Where do you dance in Nashville? I'm delighted that you have enjoyed your time there.

Beth

On the trip we have just finished I mentioned that there were very few anomolies in the formal dress code. But I quite forgot to mention that there were two gents in full white tie ensemble and they both looked quite, quite splended, as though they had been born to wear it. (Which indeed they may have been). They looked really good, very 'Corps Dimplomatique'

It was nice to see.

Gari

Isn't that half the fun? Dressing to the nines! We cannot wait and are also busy buying our formal evening gowns for the 5th aniversary around Britain trip and all the men have just bought their patent dress shoes for their formal nights all 4 nights of formality....love it :) It will be lovely to see others dressed so glamorous also.

Archived