Where in the Caribbean would you not want to go?

hayesktrm

We have taken several Bahamas/Caribbean cruises and we are about to take an Eastern Caribbean cruise leaving this weekend. I always like to plan next year's vacation before the vacation ends so it's not so depressing. There are still many ports we haven't gone to, so I was wondering what ports would you not like to go to (whether not interesting, political unrest, feeling unsafe,etc.).

At the moment the only regular ports I would feel uncomfortable in are Cartagena Columbia and Maiquetía (Caracas) Venezuela. Carnival doesn't sail to either at this time. I might consider removing Cartagena from the list as drug related violence and kidnappings have been steadily falling in Columbia for several years now. While I eschew mainland Venezuela, I would enjoy a call on Isla Margarita.

As for the other usual supects like Jamaica, Roatan and Colon Panama, I have no safety issues with any of them at this time, and do not forsee any issues in the near future.

I wouldn't say no to Jamaica... but if I had a choice, I'd go somewhere else.

We had a BLAST in St. Lucia (Zipline tour)... but the poverty was overwhelming...

I can take or leave St. Thomas...

Like I said... I wouldn't say no to any of them... but if I had a choice, I'd go elsewhere.

We're going to Nassau on Sunday and we probably won't even get off the ship. Been there twice already, no need to go.

We enjoyed Belize (cave tubing) but wouldn't go back because we've done that and the poverty was hard to see when on vacation (don't flame me for that!).

I have heard things about Jamaica and I just don't feel like I would feel comfortable there.

Doesn't Carnival have a private beach somewhere? Do you feel comfortable there? I loved the private beach on RCL and Disney!

Been to Jamaica once and that was more than enough for us.

We will never book another cruise there and if we get re-routed there for weather. it will become another sea day.

On the other hand, many people poo-poo on Nassau, but we have been there 3 times already and we will be back in September and we can't wait.

We always find something fun to do there and we love walking around town and meeting the incredibly friendly people.

We just steer clear of the Vegas/disney-esque phonyness of Atlantis.

Bill

I got spit on in San Juan my second time there because I didn't speak Spanish to some local so that would be off my list. There's nothing special about San Juan anyway...it feels like Florida to me.

I liked Jamaica but I can understand some people feeling uncomfortable there.

Belize was blah.

I'm soooooo over the Bahamas (like many have said...Nassau). Poverty, being hassled, lack of interest, etc being the reasons.

Dominica...got off the boat and turned right back around and got back on. Wasn't for me.

St. Thomas I could take or leave.

My FAVORITE places (so far) have been Roatan Honduras (there is poverty but the people were so nice and the land gorgeous!), Cayman Islands, Bermuda, and Cozumel! :)

Trinidad: wanted to go because we had never been.

when we saw it we knew why we had never been.

You never got off the ship, did you.. :cool:

IMG_5061.JPG

And never made it to Maracas Bay?

IMG_5081.JPG

Maracas_East.jpg

Don't judge a country by its ugly Port!

We were told that maybe we shouldn't even bother getting off the ship at Tunis.

Booked a ship's tour and went to Carthage and Sidi Bou Said, anyway.

Turned out to be one of the best stops of our Western Med. cruise!

SO glad we didn't stay on board.

Btw...La Goulette is an ugly-as-hell Port

- just like every other one I ever saw! :D

I've only been to Nassau once, and that was plenty for me.

Key West is another one that I don't care for. I'm not a heavy drinker, and I don't cruise to shop. Not much else to do there, IMO. We stop there in September and I'll probably get off just long enough to get a slice of Key Lime Pie.

My favorite port so far has been Tortola. Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!

Well for me, it is Freeport...

My favorite right now is San Juan, because I love to shop!!

I am going to Jamaica in October... **crossing fingers** that everything will be okay.... This will probably be my only time going there...

Everyone is different. I thought I would hate Jamaice from these boards, but Ocho Rios was actually our favorite port on our last cruise. I thought Grand Cayman was over-rated and over-priced. Would I go back? Sure. But it wasn't a highlight. I probably would have enjoyed Cozumel normally, but it was so hurricane ravaged that it was just depressing to look at. I'll try it again in a few years.

Ports can be misleading. Calica looked like a dump, but I had a great time in Playa del Carmen. Most of the countries of the Caribbean are third world, but if you can look past that and enjoy the beautiful scenery and how unique it is to encounter different cultures, it's a lot of fun.

Archived