car rental drop off at the san pedro pier

wingsrn123

Several months ago I saw a thread about dropping off a rental car near the pier. I'd like to do this for out Mariner sailing in January. Has anyone done this? Are they open on Sundays? How did it work for you?

I just got back from the Mariner. Enterprise has a drop of location right next to the Pier that is open 9-12 on Sunday and they provide a shuttle to the pier. It was painless. They had people out in the parking lot waiting to check your car in and we had to wait 5 min for the shuttle to come back.

Also another tip. Compare prices for pick up locations. To pick up the car at the airport was going to cost us 280 dollar, but to get it next to our hotel it was 154 dollars. So we took a 30 dollar shuttle to pick our car up.

And if you book online the one way drop off fee was 25 dollars, but calling to do it was going to cost 40.

Also if you have a GPS bring it. We where told by 2 different phone agents that with one way drop off's you can not rent a GPS.

CoffeeNerd,

How did you book a oneway car rental online with Enterprise? I thought you had to call in. Did you book to return to the same location and just dropped off at San Pedro?

I'm looking for a 2 day rental.

Thanks for any help.

I'm trying to figure this out too. We're coming in from the East coast late so we're staying at an airport hotel but then we're staying in west hollywood for 2 days pre cruise leaving out of San Pedro. Now I'm trying to find out what's easier,

• pick up a car at the airport and either drop it off at the airport and take a shuttle
  • rent an enterprise car with pick up at the airport and drop off at the port
  • take a taxi or shuttle to the enterprise location at the port and return to the port

I was looking at prices and can see that the prices are high from the airport.

Well, my travel agent actually did all the booking for me. I was there watching her do it, but for the life of I can not figure it out now that I am looking at it. All I see for one way is probably what you people see which is a link for this message.

Renting in California

If you are picking up your rental vehicle in California, you may return it to select locations throughout the state of California. To reserve your next Enterprise one-way, call (866)-207-8836.

Certain restrictions apply.

Maybe travel agents have a special website that allow them to do the one way rental?

Maybe just call Enterprise and ask them how you can do it online and still qualify for the 25 dollar drop off charge.

@ BostonBud, Enterprise wont pick you up at the airport. It is one of their restrictions on that service.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to figure this out too. We're coming in from the East coast late so we're staying at an airport hotel but then we're staying in west hollywood for 2 days pre cruise leaving out of San Pedro. Now I'm trying to find out what's easier,

• pick up a car at the airport and either drop it off at the airport and take a shuttle
  • rent an enterprise car with pick up at the airport and drop off at the port
  • take a taxi or shuttle to the enterprise location at the port and return to the port

I was looking at prices and can see that the prices are high from the airport.

I am in the same predicament and want to know what to do, I'm looking out of Long Beach Airport but when I called enterprise it was around 180 dollars to get car at airport and drop off in San Pedro, one day really? I'm curious to know what you decided to do.

I'm trying to figure out the same thing for our April 2010 cruise on Mariner. We fly in the day before to Orange County/John Wayne (SNA) and I would like to rent a car for only one day and drop off in San Pedro. Have not done all my research yet, but I believe that Avis (perhaps) has a drop off location in Long Beach, an easy taxi ride to the San Pedro pier. But it looks like it would be an expensive option. Would really like to hear some suggestions from the folks familiar with getting to/from Port of Los Angeles.

David

We booked by phone (1-800-527-0700) with Budget. We are picking up at Long Beach Airport post cruise and returning at LAX. It is $39.07 with all fees for one day. We need to take a taxi (estimated at $20) from terminal to airport. After much investigation, it seems like a very good deal.

I just booked an enterprise car today from Orange County Airport (John Wayne) with a drop-off at San Pedro pier A full size car for 1 day--24 hours, it was $31.00 for the car plus $25.00 drop off charge plus taxes. The total cost was $69.00. The phone number is 1-866-207-8836. This was for a pick-up for a Christmas cruise (December 18th and drop-off December 19th) I believe you need to call to get the $25.00 drop-off charge. I was told it was not possible to do on the web site. I think the smaller cars were less but need the room for the kids and the luggage.

Jeannie

I just booked an enterprise car today from Orange County Airport (John Wayne) with a drop-off at San Pedro pier A full size car for 1 day--24 hours, it was $31.00 for the car plus $25.00 drop off charge plus taxes. The total cost was $69.00. The phone number is 1-866-207-8836. This was for a pick-up for a Christmas cruise (December 18th and drop-off December 19th) I believe you need to call to get the $25.00 drop-off charge. I was told it was not possible to do on the web site. I think the smaller cars were less but need the room for the kids and the luggage.

Jeannie

I did this same thing yesterday. We are flying into Orange County Airport in October called Enterprise at the 1-866-207-8836 number booked a compact car for three days to be dropped off in San Pedro at 235 W 6th Street. Rate was $130.15 total which included car for three days taxes and $25.00 drop off fee.

I still haven't booked yet. I called Enterprise and they quoted me a $40.00 drop off fee so I haven't decided yet. I guess I'll have to look into the price of the shuttles from the airport and decide whether it's worth it to drive back to the rental counter, board the shuttle to the airport and then get the shuttle to the port. It might be worth the hassle and pain of carrying the luggage to just drive to the port rental and take one shuttle.

To the posters who got the $25.00 drop off price, did you ask for it and/or did it depend on the type of car you rented. Thanks.

I still haven't booked yet. I called Enterprise and they quoted me a $40.00 drop off fee so I haven't decided yet. I guess I'll have to look into the price of the shuttles from the airport and decide whether it's worth it to drive back to the rental counter, board the shuttle to the airport and then get the shuttle to the port. It might be worth the hassle and pain of carrying the luggage to just drive to the port rental and take one shuttle.

To the posters who got the $25.00 drop off price, did you ask for it and/or did it depend on the type of car you rented. Thanks.

When I called to rent the car I asked about one way rentals and told the guy I wanted to rent at SNA (Orange County Airport) and drop it off at San Pedro. He said "no problem, but there is a $25.00 drop off fee." So I didn't ask for the $25.00 drop off and I am not sure why some people are being told $40.00 maybe it has something to do with the airport someone is renting from or the size of the car, or it could just be depends on who you get on the other end of the phone at Enterprises.

Someone else told me that they were told that the San Pedro office would not accept one way rentals. I am hoping that since I have a confirmation email saying where I am renting from and where I am returning to and what the total price is including the one way drop off fee that every thing will be alright.

We need a car to pick up from Long Beach Airport on a Friday morning and drop off in San Pedro on Saturday afternoon.

After checking around Enterprise seemed the best bet, but when I called they wanted $132.92.

Budget is much cheaper but the closest office is over 5 miles away from the Crowne Plaza where we're staying.

Can we get the Crowne Plaza shuttle to pick us up if we walk into the 5 mile radius of the shuttle?

Thanks.

Can one of you take Supershuttle or similar to the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro - cost will be around $17. Enterprise car rental is in the same building. Go Back to LGB for other passengers. Return the car back to the Crowne Plaza and there will be no hefty 1 way drop off charge or extra airport fees, taxes etc. Enterprise will also shuttle you to the San Pedro port - not sure if they shuttle to Long Beach port though.

We have booked a 1 way rental at LAX returning to a location in Long Beach (not at the airport) the morning before the cruise. Rental rates were less than $60/day. Yes, we will have to take a shuttle or taxi a few miles to the ship but even with that it will be 1/2 the price than Enterprise one-way.

Booked it online on their website.

I booked online the car I wanted for our trip. Since we're getting in the night before the rental and it would be a waste of money to just pay the hotel for parking and for the rental hours, I decided to book for the next morning.

Luckily, the Airport Rental facility is not too far from our hotel (about 1.4 miles) so we will either walk it or I called them and they said that someone could pick us up.

Online I did the rental with return to the same location however, I called them on the phone once I made the reservation and changed the drop off to San Pedro. The guy on the phone wasn't exactly sure if they had a shuttle to the port but lots of people here said they did, regardless, we'll drop off the luggage at the port then return the car. It much less of a hassle to have to carry the luggage on the shuttle.

They did charge a $40.00 drop off fee which does seem steep but then we don't have to have the hassle of hauling our luggage from the rental shuttle back to the airport back on shuttle and then to the port.

The good thing about the rental cars is that you can always cancel if you get a better deal since they don't hold reservations with CC#'s.

we are flying into Oakland airport and needed to rent a car there and return it to san pedro...i called and was told we could not do that from that airport OR san francisco airport ...wasn't given a reason....go figure....

it would have been so much cheaper to be able to do this...even with the drop off fee.....

instead, we had to go with Avis and will drop off the car in Long Beach and take a taxi to port....the cost?? $331 for 3 days!!! if we would have flown into San Francisco, it would have been about double that price!! that is why we chose Oakland....

if anyone knows a better way, we do have the car reserved, but have not paid yet...we can cancel it.....

Marsha

Several months ago I saw a thread about dropping off a rental car near the pier. I'd like to do this for out Mariner sailing in January. Has anyone done this? Are they open on Sundays? How did it work for you?

If you rent from enterprise, you should stay at the double tree San Pedro. They have an enterprise desk at the hotel and a free shuttle to the port. That is what we did. We arrived a day early for our cruise on the Mariner and rented a car at LAX drove around and "dropped" it at the hotel the next morning and to the shuttle to the pier. We took a cab back to the airport at the end of the cruise the cost including tip was $60.00. We were a family of 5 with lots of luggage.

We had an accident just before a cruise in November of 2007 and needed a rental car to San Pedro. Used Enterprise one way from Hemet, CA. Rental was about $85. Shuttle to the dock worked well. Also rented on the return. Did an early walk off and had to wait 15 minutes before the office opened for the day.

we are flying into Oakland airport and needed to rent a car there and return it to san pedro...i called and was told we could not do that from that airport OR san francisco airport ...wasn't given a reason....go figure....

it would have been so much cheaper to be able to do this...even with the drop off fee.....

instead, we had to go with Avis and will drop off the car in Long Beach and take a taxi to port....the cost?? $331 for 3 days!!! if we would have flown into San Francisco, it would have been about double that price!! that is why we chose Oakland....

if anyone knows a better way, we do have the car reserved, but have not paid yet...we can cancel it.....

Marsha

Do you have to drive?

JetBlue has a $49 fare from Oakland to Long Beach and then a $20 ride to the pier.

Archived