In shock...!!!! new visa requirements for mexicans to enter Canada! I leave this week

Barbarina

I am in total shock...I just heard on the news that mexicans ( I am mexican) need a visa for entering Canada as of today. My cruise leaves this friday, and I am flying out on Wednesday to Anchorage, and will be arriving to Vancouver next week. Now I am not sure if I can get onboard without a visa, or what to do..! we are many mexicans travelling to Alaska these days. And it takes several days to get a visa, besides to having to get it frm Mexico city where the EMbassy is, and I live very far away. This is so sudden, and my kids are all so excited with this trip we have been planning for so long. Now I am not sure we are going to be able to make it. :(

That´s terrible. Canada´s government has made a stupid decision to ask you a visa no matter you´re traveling there within 2 or 3 days.

It seems Canada doesn´t like tourists at all.

It´s so difficult to think of a solution, I don´t know what to suggest you...

"It seems Canada doesn´t like tourists at all"

Mexicans need visas to visit the US don't they.

While I no use for the right wing government we presently have in Canada here are a few facts and figures that might help explain why this move was done and on short notice.

Canada had something like 3000 REFUGEE claims from Mexicans last year - OF WHICH ONLY 7% WERE CONSIDERED VALID. IT APPEARS THAT MANY OF THEM WERE TRYING TO ABUSE THE SYSTEM AND THAT IS WHY THIS GOVERNMENT STEPPED IN!!!

A refugee entering Canada is giving $1300 to get essentials to start life in a new country. They are also entitled to receive welfare for up to one year - welfare claimants get basic health care as well. Most do end up getting jobs in the service industry - here in Vancouver until recently there was a shortage of workers wanting to work in the service industry so very few end up costing the government a lot in support services.

The people of the Czech Republic are also now required because of similiar abuse which could result in Canadians needing Visa for all EU countries.

As for giving more notice - yes I think that would have been nice BUT how many more people would try and enter using the Refugee claim excuse.

This is regrettably another case where a small number of people abuse a system and the majority who comply get hurt.

I beleive I heard that there will be some leeway given for those who are caugth up in a legal limbo.

Dennis

Dennis

Maybe they need a visa to come to the US but it doesn't mean anything or else we would not have 12-20 million illegals here right now.

Dennis

Sorry to disagree with you Dennis, but the comparison with the US is terribly awful! When US government started asking for VISAS to people for different countries, it gave a 1 year period of grace to obtain the VISA. Canada gave the anouncement with a period of grace of 48 hours. That is 365 vs 2 days.

Think you have already paid all your trip (air, cruise, car, hotels, etc.), you awake a Monday (July 13) and get the news you have to travel to a city far away from your home (Mexico is a big country), fill a lot of forms, bring a lot of papers, make long, long files, wait for aproval, return home, and get your visa to your home by mail, and then begin your vacation on Thursday (July 16). Do you REALLY think it's fair?

PLEASE, be sensitive. The new disposition of Canada is TERRIBLY, TERRIBLEY INSENSITIVE and STUPID!!!

I feel for Czech's and Mexicans who are caught up in this mess, but the other poster properly laid out why it's happened and why it's happened quickly. The other reality in the Canadian legal system is that every refugee claimant is entitled to having their hearing in court as well as appeal after appeal if they are refused after their first hearing. Needless to say this costs untold millions of dollars to the taxpayers of this country.

From my position, as a Canadian taxpayer, the Canadian government absolutely did the right thing. Their primary responsibility it to me, not to Mexican or Czech tourists.

Hopefully we'll get our refugee system fixed and we'll be able to drop the Visa requirements, and hopefully they'll work out a grace system for those who are either caught in Canada right now or unable to get a Visa in time for a prescheduled trip.

Sorry, but as a former Canadian and having lived in California for the past 45 years, I have to disagree with those who feel the Canadian government is acting unreasonably.

In this state, we are confronted daily with those from "South of the Border" who are obviously here illegally, but who are taking full advantage of the 'system' whereby the can obtain fully free medical service, tuition, food stamps and God Know What Else, simply because they are here!

I understand that Canada has also extended their new visa requirement to those from the Czech republic and that was brought about by the large influx of "Roma" who now clog Canada's system demanding "services ". (For those who may not know, "Roma" is a term used to describe gypsies who have flowed into most European countries and are posing problems for the police and public)

At some point, there is a limit as to how far the "system" can be stretched and I am hopeful that we in the U.S. awake to this problem soon!!!

I think some people are missing the point. The problem some here is not that Canada has implemented the Visa sistem; Canada had absolutely to find a solution to a real problem Canada has.

The problem is when you make a legal disposition with no time to honest, legal, exemplary citizens to adjust. Who's gonna refund the air, cruise, hotels, car fares to those tourists who would love to visit Canada, and probably were making a one-in-a-life vacation there? It's not about refugees lying, it's about tourists' rights.

Wow, I really lean to the far right when it comes to the issue of illegal aliens in this country, but to prevent people from taking a cruise at the last minute seems unreasonable to me. Honestly, I wasn't aware of this issue until I read this post, but it seems to me something could be done for people traveling over the next one or two weeks so they can complete their trip. If that isn't possible, then IMO, they should be able to rebook their cruise and air without penalties. Good luck to the OP.

I completely agree with you on that. I think if you are in the country currently or are within 1 month of going on vacation and can present documents detailing your itinerary and details of your return trip then exceptions should definitely be made. If you're more than a month away from going on your trip to Canada you should have time to get a visa.

If you read the first part of my post on this matter I said I had no use for this government - at times it makes George Bush look like a Democrat - they have used Republican spin doctors on there campaign here so this should come as no surprise - I was only trying to point out the problem that us Canadian Taxpayers are facing with an increasing number of bogus refugee claimants and how the government felt it was time to make a statement - I too think a phase in period would have been more practical but how many more in the meanwhile will make refugee claims - in reading some of the reports here - some leeway is being given to those caught in the middle of this affair.

Like I said - it takes a small group of idiots acting on advice of immigration consultants and lawyers to screw things up for the majority.

Cheers

Dennis

If you read the first part of my post on this matter I said I had no use for this government - at times it makes George Bush look like a Democrat - they have used Republican spin doctors on there campaign here so this should come as no surprise - I was only trying to point out the problem that us Canadian Taxpayers are facing with an increasing number of bogus refugee claimants and how the government felt it was time to make a statement -

Cheers

Dennis

I really miss George!

(I thought I would throw this in since it seems to have gotten political now!)

Getting back on topic.....

I was thinking about this issue and how it might make travel challenging for Mexicans attempting to travel through Vancouver to cruise to Alaska. Correct me if I am wrong, but...

Couldn't one land at Vancouver airport, participate in the secured transfer program whereby one technically doesn't enter Canada, transfer to the cruiseship and board-- never 'really' entering Canada and therefore bypassing the new visa requirement? This wouldn't work if you were planning to stay in Vancouver pre or post cruise, but it might work if you were arriving the day of the trip.......

If one is disembarking in Seattle, the issue is salient because the ship docks in Canadian waters (Prince Rupert or Victoria). Now.... when my mother is travelling on a mediterranean cruise this fall, she will be visiting countries that require Canadians to have visas. I have been told that the cruiseline 'looks after' this for her and she need not apply for these visas herself. Will the cruiselines do this for Mexicans needing visas to access a port of call in canada?

That wouldn't work. If you first fly to Vancouver, you'll be required the Canadian Visa in your local airport.

If you begin your cruise in Anchorage and it ends at Vancouver, at the begining you wouldn't be allowed to aboard the cruise.

And, make it clear, the travelers with these problem do have USA Visa, because US government already knows they are tourists and have a life in their countries. The only problem is to obtain a Canada Visa in only a few (or very, very few) days.

And does appear that OP is really out-of-luck, unless she can quickly obtain a visa. According to canada you have 48 hours after the law took effect to apply at the dock. Those hours have probably passrd by now.

New Canadian visa requirements affecting all Alaska sailings, Alaska tours and Canada & New England sailings that enter Canada:

If you are a NON-U.S. or NON-CANADIAN citizen, you will be DENIED BOARDING without compensation if you do not hold the proper VISA documents! Regardless of what your Consulate official may advise, Canadian officials WILL NOT allow guests to remain onboard while in a Canadian port without proper documentation, so you will be denied boarding if the visa is not presented at the pier at the time of your scheduled cruise departure. To learn more, please visit: http://canada.gc.ca

First, I must say I really feel for the OP. I have my opinions on the issue but I can certainly see both sides of the argument. That said, here is some information that I hope will help those who are facing the same predicament as the OP.

Looks like the CIC is making concessions for those travellers who already have tickets booked by allowing them to apply on an "urgent/emergency" basis to expedite the process. The info on their website indicates they will do their best to process the application, but can not guarantee the visa will be processed in time (typical CYA statement, but whatever :rolleyes:). I suggest applying for the visa ASAP. Applicants need to complete the "Emergency Process Request Form" along with their application, as well as a photocopy of their tickets.

More info may be found at:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/visit/mexicanvisit-faq10.asp

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/mexico-mexique/vis/visa.aspx?lang=eng

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/mexico-mexique/vis/form-formulaire.aspx

Quite a bombshell for anyone affected like the OP. The 48h grace period has expired.

I read several articles that seemed factual and unbiased. Apparently Mexicans were the largest source of amnesty seekers; more than 9000 applicants and only 11% were legit. There are unscrupulous "amnesty mills" which the Canadian government has been asking the Mexican government to do something about for many years. The problem has become worse and Mexico City has done nothing to curb it. So a lot of fault lies with Mexico's government for little or no action.

It's really bad the OP and others were caught in the crossfire but I wish our US government would follow the Canadians and act decisively instead of sitting back while Mexico fails to cooperate. I realize the previous sentence has two almost totally separate issues!

I hope Barbarina got her visa.

IMO there is no excuse for the impossibly short notice given to pre-ticketed passengers. I can understand not announcing a future deadline far in advance. That would encourage a flurry of refugee claim filings under the wire. However, ticketed travellers should have been grandfathered into the provisions.

I feel badly about how my government implemented this new policy.

While I sympathize with the traveler caught up in this situation, and appreciate the thoughts from Canadians, you really need to read the following from the L A Times:

From the L. A. Times

1. 40% of all workers in L. A. County ( L. A. County has 10.2 million people)are working for cash and not paying taxes. This is because they are predominantly illegal immigrants working without a green card.

2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.

4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal , whose births were paid for by taxpayers.

5. Nearly 35% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally

6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.

7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border...

8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.

9. 21 radio stations in L. A. are Spanish speaking.

10. In L. A. County 5.1 million people speak English, 3.9 million speak Spanish.

(There are 10.2 million people in L. A. County )

(All 10 of the above are from the Los Angeles Times)

Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops, but 29% are on welfare.. Over 70% of the United States ' annual population growth (and over 90% of California , Florida , and New York ) results from immigration. 29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens.

We are a bunch of fools for letting this continue

(Canada is waking up to this problem)

Archived