Any advantage to getting cash back vs other rates?

OV8

Looking to maximize my dollars & wanted to know if there are any advantages to getting cash back?

My thought is that since CCL are for all intents & purposes encouraging you to give them more money up front while also tweaking you to spend that 'cash back credit' on board so you won't really get that money back at the end of the trip.

In short is cash back worth any true savings?

Thanks

If the bottom net price, including the cash back, is cheaper, than yes to me its a benefit. We dont have any trouble spending OBC so far. We like to shop for junks, booze, t shirts, whatever on the ship.

The disadvantage over ES is if the price drops after final payment, then you wouldnt get the reduction.

... just have to weigh them both to decide.

I agree with firefly. If the net price is less then do it. You can use it for tips if nothing else. I know there is language that says you can't but at the end of the cruise it all apply's to your account.

Also the cash back option is not a non refundable deposit, That's why we use it. ES is great but I have to cancel to often to book a non refundable deposit.

We did the cash back/upgrade this time... after everything is said and done (counting the on board credit) we are getting an 8E balcony for $574/pp... it is $719/pp right now otherwise. I was told by my PVP that you will get the difference as an on board credit if the price drops before the final payment is due, and after that, you will get upgraded at that point to make up the difference. I think you just have to weigh it out and see how you come out ahead. I know some people may not think it is a good deal because it may be hard for them to spend $150 onboard, but not us, that should get us a few DODs though.. :p

You have to do a compare on regular price vs cash back. However, your PVP will determine if you are eligible for other discounts. For example, we were eligible for 55+, past cruiser, and veteran discount. It turned out that we got a much better price with my veteran's discount.

Incidently, we booked it two weeks before sail date and got a 6E for less then the advertised OV cash back price. Sail date is Jul25th on the Ecstasy 5 day cruise.

Archived