Cruisin Serenade of the Seas in August...q's

Hey there,

New to this site and new to cruising. I am going on the RCI ship Serenade of the Seas to Alaska in August. I have been reading and researching my face off and it seems like it's going to be a great ship, with average to good food and lots of beautiful scenery!

A few questions as I have no idea what to expect:

1) we have pre paid our gratuities. should i still tip on top of that? will it look really rude if i don't?

2) we both have one big suitcase...and we are staying in a balcony room. is there enough storage space?

3) are liquor prices similar to what you would pay in bars? $5.00 for pint/highball? Can you get slushy, fruity drinks like margaritas???

Any other tips/suggestions would be really helpful. I cannot wait for this trip!

McNic

There's no need to tip additionally, unless you feel service warrants it.

You can fit your suitcase under the bed---lift the bedframe if it won't "slide" under.

Yes, drink prices are similar to land bars...in most places! 15% tip will be added to each purchase. You can get the frozen drinks, but they tend to have less alcohol than a normal cocktail. Figure on around $7-8 for the "foo-foo" drinks!

McNic,

I just got back from our trip on Serenade (6/27/09) Alaska sailing... What a great trip! You will love Serenade --- what a beautiful ship, with lots of extra's....

I tipped a bit additional to my waitstaff and a room attendant because they were just superb...

As for the drinks, seems like a frozen daquiri was like around 8.00 with tip and gratuity....

Should be plenty of room in your room to store suitcase under the bed or in closet...

I have a few extra compasses if you would like a copy... email me at Rhonda@okchomebuilders.com

ENJOY!

Rhonda

The only one not included in your prepaid tips (as far as I know) is the Maitre D'. Tip him/her if they provide some service or nicety. Don't worry about tipping him/her if you have no contact with them.

I agree, awesome cruise with wonderful crew! Did it in May... pictures available if you follow the link in my signature.

Do be aware that your prepaid tips do not include the 15% gratuity added to every purchase from the bar; nor do they include a tip to the deliveryperson if you use room service.

MicNic - The Serenade is our favorite ship! Great staff, great food, great atmosphere and always a good amount of activities. We have also sailed on the Brilliance and the Radiance, but we still prefer the Serenade because of the onboard experience with the above mentioned.

What cabin category are you staying in? We stayed in an Aft D1 which was fantastic. Love the view from the back of the ship.

Here are some photos of the ship. Serenade of the Seas

Thanks all. Your posts just me made that much more excited...if thats even possible!

lv2: I dont know the category but we are on deck eight with balcony. i think it might just be the lead in balcony category.

Thanks all. Your posts just me made that much more excited...if thats even possible!

lv2: I dont know the category but we are on deck eight with balcony. i think it might just be the lead in balcony category.

Sooner: I will def. email you today for a copy of the compass. Thanks so much for the offer.

I am so happy I registered on here!

Agreed, Serenade is our favorite RCI ship. Thought I would bring up one of Serenades rather strange designs. Check out the mens room in the Schooner Bar (sorry men only). It has the strangest layout I have ever seen. It is a very small restroom and has two urinals one on each wall of a corner. When in use you and your friend will be standing cheek to cheek. A friend of ours took a picture with his cell phone to show our wives.

Agreed, Serenade is our favorite RCI ship. Thought I would bring up one of Serenades rather strange designs. Check out the mens room in the Schooner Bar (sorry men only). It has the strangest layout I have ever seen. It is a very small restroom and has two urinals one on each wall of a corner. When in use you and your friend will be standing cheek to cheek. A friend of ours took a picture with his cell phone to show our wives.

Sorry this is under the heading of TMI (too much information):rolleyes::D

MicNic - The Serenade is our favorite ship! Great staff, great food, great atmosphere and always a good amount of activities. We have also sailed on the Brilliance and the Radiance, but we still prefer the Serenade because of the onboard experience with the above mentioned.

What cabin category are you staying in? We stayed in an Aft D1 which was fantastic. Love the view from the back of the ship.

Here are some photos of the ship. Serenade of the Seas

Your pix are great, will have Serenade AFT 8672 in September. Can you tell me which cabins are in your photos other than the corner one.

And, I see you're looking at the back of "x"

Ann

Your pix are great, will have Serenade AFT 8672 in September. Can you tell me which cabins are in your photos other than the corner one.

And, I see you're looking at the back of "x"

Ann

Here is the back of the Serenade,

aftwcabins.jpg

Thank you so much Sue......do you know if the AFT cabins on deck 8 are as large as on deck 9 and covered as well. I know the corners are not.

they are like half covered just like the ones on 9, the ones on eight are slightly smaller but not by much. We measured, 9260 and it was about 10 x 14 with two loungers, two regular chairs and a small table

the cabins are the same size it is the balconies that are slightly smaller

IMG_1108-1-1.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

they are like half covered just like the ones on 9, the ones on eight are slightly smaller but not by much. We measured, 9260 and it was about 10 x 14 with two loungers, two regular chairs and a small table

the cabins are the same size it is the balconies that are slightly smaller

IMG_1108-1-1.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

Thanks again Sue...........I was hoping they would be larger going down like "X", but am happy to have it.

Ann

Someone had posted a 7 day run of menu's on another board... and even posted a link to some scanned menus... I printed them off and looked them over to help us decide on our two CHOPS night... but actually the kids enjoyed CHOPS but didn't want to do it another night so we ended back in the dining room for 6 of the dinners... I'm sure the 2 hours they gave up on the CHOPS night was killing them... hehe... and missing out on hanging with their new friends had something to do with it... LOL... Menus were right on and almost exact if i remember correctly... Maybe a few days were switched around... Sorry i can't remember the thread.. but type it under the search and you should be able to pull it up... The Formal nights were the 2nd and 6th night... we ate in Chops on the 4th night, seems like I didn't really care for their menu that night in the dining room...

Rhonda

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you so much Sue......do you know if the AFT cabins on deck 8 are as large as on deck 9 and covered as well. I know the corners are not.

SueL

Great photo of the balcony. Our group is booked in 9594 through 9588 and we were curious how the balconies look. I actually love to sleep out there and hope my larger balcony, 9594, will have a chaise.

Wish there was a thread were people, in brief, reviewed their cabins - ONLY - in regards to size, amenities, noise levels, comfort.

Thanks.

Archived