Pagers for Oceaneer's Lab/self check-out question

PAGA

Can someone please give me more details about the pagers that are provided to parents?

The answers will likely sway my decision on whether to allow my 11 year old self sign-in/out priveleges. (He's been on 10 cruises, but this will be our first on Disney...we've never allowed him this privelege before, but I'm wondering if the pagers may alleviate some of my concerns...)

Do the pagers just buzz and then you need to go to/call the Oceaneer's lab to find out what's going on? Or is there a text capability that allows your child/the childcare staff to give you a text message on the pager - for example: "leaving lab; lunch with Joe; back to lab at 1pm". Or maybe a phone number to call in for a recorded voice message?

Also, can your child page you from any phone...even if they are not in the Oceaneer's lab? I'm assuming, if this is possible, it would just show you maybe the phone extension from where the page originated?

Any details on how the pagers work are appreciated!

Can someone please give me more details about the pagers that are provided to parents?

The answers will likely sway my decision on whether to allow my 11 year old self sign-in/out priveleges. (He's been on 10 cruises, but this will be our first on Disney...we've never allowed him this privelege before, but I'm wondering if the pagers may alleviate some of my concerns...)

Do the pagers just buzz and then you need to go to/call the Oceaneer's lab to find out what's going on? Or is there a text capability that allows your child/the childcare staff to give you a text message on the pager - for example: "leaving lab; lunch with Joe; back to lab at 1pm". Or maybe a phone number to call in for a recorded voice message?

Also, can your child page you from any phone...even if they are not in the Oceaneer's lab? I'm assuming, if this is possible, it would just show you maybe the phone extension from where the page originated?

Any details on how the pagers work are appreciated!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The pager they give you is a messaging pager which means that you'll be able to read the message across the screen. My 10 year old would leave our stateroom and I would have her tell them to page me when she check in. I would than get a message: First name, Last name has checked into Oceaneer's Lab on Deck 5. There was a time when she went to check into the lab but the kids were in Studio C than I would get a message stating she's checked in and location where she is. We didnt' givve my daughter access to sign out alone as I wasn't comfortable her roaming ship whenever she felt like it.

Enjoy!!!

We sailed about a year ago with my stepchildren (10 & 12 at the time) and after the first day allowed the ten year old the ability to sign himself in & out. Basically we just brought a magnetic dry erase board that we left on the door to our stateroom that everyone had to list their whereabouts on. Worked perfectly, and we never have a problem finding anyone.

We recently cruised on the Magic with a 12 yr old. Magic has a new tween group 11-13 yr olds. There is no paging system for this group. They can come and go at will. However, there is a message board at the entrance of Ocean Quest where parents can call and leave messages for their kids.

We felt very comfortable with our daughter going in and out on her own - this was her second Disney Magic cruise. By the second day she was with a group of 6-8 boys and girls and they seemed to all stay together most of the time. The kids love the "freedom".

I like the idea of a message board in the room also. I saw people with 2 way radios but don't know how well they work.

We will be on Wonder, so the info provided about the new age group on Magic will not apply to us. Interesting, however, that all of the 11 year olds on Magic will be able to wander freely...

I think the only part of my question that remains unanswered is whether the child can page a parent from any phone on the ship...or is it that only the Oceaneer Lab staff can initiate a page?

Thanks for all the info!

Archived