Capt. Marvin or Capt Bryan?

balanceok

Dear jwlane:

Approx. how many people were on your tour? If there were any children aboard, were the staff good with children as well as adults?

Any details about why you enjoyed your tour with Capt. Bryan's so much would be very much appreciated, as we are trying to decide between Capt. Bryan's catamaran and Capt. Marvin's boat.

Thanks very much,

Jillb

We just got back and we did Captain Bryan. This was the best decision we ever made. The catamaran could hold up to 35 people but there were only SIX people on our afternoon Stingray City/Snorkel Tour ($34 per person). When we got to Stingray City and saw all those other boats with dozens of people on them, I just couldn't believe how lucky we were. (A couple boats must have had at least 100 people on them!!)

There was even a professional photographer on board that took photos and you could buy them if you wanted. I got some pretty good pictures, though, using a cheapo Fugi water camera, though. You can see some of the photos and the boat on the following link:

http://community.webshots.com/user/panamacanal2004

For the snorkeling part, there were snorkel vests, masks, snorkels and fins to use.

You cannot go wrong with Captain Bryan.

My wife and I and our two daughters 18 and 21 took Captain Bryan in March 2003 and had a great time. I would prefer a catamaran over a boat any time. The girls were able to lay out and sun on the catamaran on the way out and back - it's much more comfortable than a boat. There were maybe 40 people on the trip. We were on Hannibal catamaran. My wife and I are scheduled to take Captain Bryan again in early January on the Buccaneer. Hannibal is $34 pp while the Buccaneer is $39 pp (Hannibal was sold out). Buccaneer has a pay bar on board while Hannibal does not.

In 2003, we arrived at the stingray site and it was very crowded. Captain Bryan decided to change course and do the snorkeling portion of the trip first. We then doubled back to the stingray site with much less traffic. The Hannibal I believe leaves at 9:00 while the Buccaneer leaves at 10:00 (they advertise that the Buccaneer arrives at the site at a lull between the first group of boats and the afternoon group - we'll see). Captain Bryan also taught many of the passengers how to hold and kiss the stingrays. It was great - and comfortable!!!

My wife and I and our two daughters 18 and 21 took Captain Bryan in March 2003 and had a great time. I would prefer a catamaran over a boat any time. The girls were able to lay out and sun on the catamaran on the way out and back - it's much more comfortable than a boat. There were maybe 40 people on the trip. We were on Hannibal catamaran. My wife and I are scheduled to take Captain Bryan again in early January on the Buccaneer. Hannibal is $34 pp while the Buccaneer is $39 pp (Hannibal was sold out). Buccaneer has a pay bar on board while Hannibal does not.

In 2003, we arrived at the stingray site and it was very crowded. Captain Bryan decided to change course and do the snorkeling portion of the trip first. We then doubled back to the stingray site with much less traffic. The Hannibal I believe leaves at 9:00 while the Buccaneer leaves at 10:00 (they advertise that the Buccaneer arrives at the site at a lull between the first group of boats and the afternoon group - we'll see). Captain Bryan also taught many of the passengers how to hold and kiss the stingrays. It was great - and comfortable!!!

Hello,

My group wants a catamaran! Did you do it direct on the web?

Thx BC

Hello,

My group wants a catamaran! Did you do it direct on the web?

Thx BC

Hi there,

I just booked a trip with Capt Bryan when I am in port on January 13th. I called them directly and gave them a credit card to hold the reservation. I spoke with a woman named Merites and she told me that they don't charge the card until you get there. If your boat doesn't make it into shore, they don't ever charge your card. If you go through some of the other online advertisers, they may ask for a deposit up front.

I found calling was better. I asked for and received a confirmation of my reservation by email.

Julie

I booked online through the website. They first send you an e-mail confirming availability for your selected date/time and a link to their secure server to book the trip. Once you do that, they send you another e-mail with a confirmation that you are booked. Very easy and very prompt. I did see another post advising that you should bring with you a printed copy of your confirmation. You should note that the balance due must be paid with cash or traveller's checks only.

Hi there,

I just booked a trip with Capt Bryan when I am in port on January 13th. I called them directly and gave them a credit card to hold the reservation. I spoke with a woman named Merites and she told me that they don't charge the card until you get there. If your boat doesn't make it into shore, they don't ever charge your card. If you go through some of the other online advertisers, they may ask for a deposit up front.

I found calling was better. I asked for and received a confirmation of my reservation by email.

Julie

Hi Julie,

What ship are you on? We are in port that day too, we are on the Jewel. Can you give me the number you called? Thx, Brenda

Approx. how many people were on your tour? If there were any children aboard, were the staff good with children as well as adults?

Any details about why you enjoyed your tour with Capt. Bryan's so much would be very much appreciated

I believe there were 9 of us when we started the trip, so there was lots of room for lounging and relaxing. At the reef, we picked up 8-10 people that I guess were initially late and had ridden out on another boat. There was still plenty of room on the sail back in.

Our 3 1/2 yr. old son was the only kid on the way out, but they were great with him! He got to steer the boat, play with the stuffed ray; really loved it! In fact, we'll be there again on Feb. 3. The catamaran has two trampoline-type areas to lounge on, just really relaxing and fun overall.

We'll be joining Capt Bryan on Feb 3rd as well from the Star Princess.

We also booked on line, very easy to do. As nybumpkin said, they send an email to you that is not a confirmation. It has a link to book the actual reservation from there. They were quick to send the actual reservation confirmation, with instructions to bring it with you.

Hope we'll see you on the 3rd jwlane

We'll be joining Capt Bryan on Feb 3rd as well from the Star Princess.

We also booked on line, very easy to do. As nybumpkin said, they send an email to you that is not a confirmation. It has a link to book the actual reservation from there. They were quick to send the actual reservation confirmation, with instructions to bring it with you.

Hope we'll see you on the 3rd jwlane

We are going in March and I was torn between Capt Marvin and Bryan but I think a catameran sounds more fun. Can you give me the email address? Thanks

You called Grand Cayman? Ouch!! We used to own a timeshare there years ago and I can do call about my reservation once...never again. The call cost close to $50us!!

I think its somewhere around $3 per minute so be carefull !!

Oops... I called from work... oh well. I am surprised about the price to call there... wow! Well, I think next time I will email.. :)

Julie

I just sent an email request for February 5th for 4 adults. I'll post how things go.

The 9:30 am trip was sold out, but they recommended the Buccaneer Stingray City Excursion at 10:30 am. Apparently, this is also associated with Capt Bryan and is on the catamaran.

Just a few weeks to go.

Our Ship arrives at 7:00. I saw where the 9:30-noon stingray city has to meet at 8:45. I am just worried I won't be off the ship in time to meet. They alway's let booked excursions through the ship tender in first. Do they pick you up at the pier or do you have to walk somewhere to meet them. We are on the NCL Majesty.

Teri

Oops... I called from work... oh well. I am surprised about the price to call there... wow! Well, I think next time I will email.. :)

Julie

I called GC a number of times last year on an $20 ATT phone card from Sam's Club - price came out about 28 cents/minute. I have heard some horror stories about how much others have paid.

Using a phone card, at least you know what the max damage is, even if you don't know what the per minute cost is.

Does anyone know if RCCL is docking at GC yet? I heard that there were some ships that weren't docking because the docks were still screwed up from the huriccanes. I know we are tendering in. I want to set up an excursion for that day

Pam

Archived