6 category upgrade?

I am looking at booking an Alaska cruise for next year and I have gone to a website that I got the following message and I'm wondering what exactly this means.

Special offer:BONUS: Receive up to a six-category upgrade on 2010 sailings.

I was looking at booking either a balcony or mini-suite. Realizing this will make me sound extremely naive, an absolute optomist or dillusional... If I were to book this 6 categories above would either be a courtyard villa or owners suite. :eek: Okay, now I'm sure this isn't what this means but could someone let me know what it does mean?

What this means is that you book in a certain category (inside, oceanview, balcony) stateroom. The upgrade is applicable for inside to inside, oceanview to oceanview, and balcony to balcony. The offer excludes mini suites, suites and villas. Basically, you book your cabin at the lowest level in the category that you want and you will get an upgrade up to six categories higher within that level.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoiled Brats,

The six upgrade is a cheap marketing tool for low end cruisers. As I complained to my cruise consultant, no deals on high end suites except for low useage times.

but it will work like a guarantee booking....no control over the actual cabin assignment, I think.

No. When they have these sales and you go to NCL.com to do a pretend booking, you will see that ALL 6 of the upgradeable categories will be the same price. So you can choose any one of them for the same price and choose the cabin you want. I got in on one of those last year. Booked an N and got a K, just a higher deck, as others have said.

If it happens to be an ocean view you are booking, though, you might be able to pay for an obstructed view and get not only a port hole unobstructed, but a full window!

Here is the NCL small print regarding the up to 6 category upgrade promotion:

Program Code: PGPTP10. Offer applies to all published 2010-2011 sailings. Up to 6-category upgrade applies to Inside staterooms. Upgrade may vary per ship and sail date. Upgrade is applicable for inside-to-inside, oceanview-to-oceanview, and balcony-to-balcony staterooms only. Offer excludes Category SB, SD, Mini-Suites, Suites and Villas. Prices are per person, based on double occupancy, in U.S. dollars and applicable to select sailings. At least one person per stateroom must be a Latitudes member/past guest to qualify for this offer. $99 starting from rate for additional guests applicable to 3rd and 4th guests in the same stateroom as two full fare paying adults. Offer applies to new individual bookings

It worked out nicely for us on our recent Bermuda cruise. We booked last year during one of these sales and got a BA aft (chose the specific cabin) for the cost of the lowest category balcony. We wouldn't have bothered with a balcony otherwise.

We just took advantage of it, booking an aft BA on the Dawn for the same price as all of the other balcony cabins down to BE. Used our recently purchased future cruise certificate. Sweet!

Congrats! You're gonna love it! :)

I just booked for April 2011. (Dawn , Caribbean)

:D I booked an ocean view room and was upgraded to C Class cabin.

You just get "bumped up" to a higher grade cabin. AND I got $100 OBC.

Waiting now to see if the price drops, then I'll try and get the extra days added on :D.

My sister and I booked the Epic for Sept. 2010 through an online TA I use (they give free trip insurance). Both NCL and the TA were showing prices from $649 (inside). I called the TA to ask some questions, and he got us $599 (inside), on Deck 10 mid-ship (rather then Deck 2 over the engine room!). Plus we got $100 OBC, plus a free bottle of wine, and their usual offer of free trip insurance. We put a deposit down.:D

Archived