What's the cheapest way to snorkel w/ turtles w/o swimming out from shore?

SingingPixie

All of the catamaran trips seem pretty expensive for this- generally around $80pp. I've heard talk about cabbing it to Folkestone and grabbing a boat there. How reliable is this plan? I'm willing to pay $80 if that's the only way to guarantee seeing the turtles, but if the Folkestone plan (or something else) is just as much of a sure thing but cheaper, all the better. Thanks!

Yes. You can go to Folkstone and hire a boat from there. If you are in or near the water a local with a boat will come by and ask you if you want to see the turtles. You negotiate a price and go. It's not far.

The catamaran trips are expensive, but they are great. I used Cool Runnings and the crew was great. Lunch and drinks are included and they are very generous with the drinks. The boat is beautiful and comfortable and there are two stops for snorkelling including the turtle stop. They use the motor on the way out and sail all the way back. Sailing back was the best part of the day for me. We were there on a land trip and didn't book through the ship. Everyone was smiling all day.

pictures, web site, etc.

http://www.coolrunningsbarbados.com/index2.html

Yes. You can go to Folkstone and hire a boat from there. If you are in or near the water a local with a boat will come by and ask you if you want to see the turtles. You negotiate a price and go. It's not far.

The catamaran trips are expensive, but they are great. I used Cool Runnings and the crew was great. Lunch and drinks are included and they are very generous with the drinks. The boat is beautiful and comfortable and there are two stops for snorkelling including the turtle stop. They use the motor on the way out and sail all the way back. Sailing back was the best part of the day for me. We were there on a land trip and didn't book through the ship. Everyone was smiling all day.

pictures, web site, etc.

Thanks. I have to say I'm torn- it's a port-intensive cruise, which means I have conflicting interests: saving money on excursions, and trying to actually get to relax a bit. The catamarans are definitely going to be the more relaxing option, I know!

If you only have one day in Barbados, it's hard to decide. There are beautiful beaches in Barbados but they are somewhat hidden. It's not like there's a road that goes along the coast where you can see a lot of beaches and and just pick one. The west coast where the ship comes in is very busy with hotel after hotel sandwiched between the sea and the road. A lot of traffic and you really don't see the best of Barbados. If you take a cab to Folkstone, the ride is along this busy west coast. Folkstone is not that great (just ok), so combining it with the turtles would be nice but not a good example of Barbados.

What most interests you? You could just take a cab to a beach and relax. Pick one that is really beautiful, spend the day and have lunch? What are your other stops? St. Lucia?

Or you could save even more money and take the local bus for $0.75 usd per person each way. Thats what we did. We went to cranes bay and swam out to the turtles, its about 100 yards or so.

Pull up the Role Call on your cruise here on Cruise Critic ( or similar Carib. cruise). Found ours on Barbados several months ago for $45. including lunch. Forgot their company name. Also, just google Barbados snorkeling charters.

pictures, web site, etc.

I just checked cool runnings site and it says that due to complications in the past they will not longer accept cruise ship passengers.

No explaination, just that.

I just checked cool runnings site and it says that due to complications in the past they will not longer accept cruise ship passengers.

No explaination, just that.

I didn't know that. I wonder what happened? Maybe the ship would be late or delayed clearing customs, etc.?

Or you could save even more money and take the local bus for $0.75 usd per person each way. Thats what we did. We went to cranes bay and swam out to the turtles, its about 100 yards or so.

This one sounds like a great inexpensive option!

we were just there last week and grabbed a cab with a guy named Elon. He gave us a tour of the island, took us to Paynes Bay and that was $20 per person. From there we rented a boat on the beach for $15 pp and saw the shipwreck and turtles. The guy we rented the glass bottom boat from was big daddy. his boat was red, yellow and green and his crew was fun and we had a great time

• 3 weeks later...

We were there on 8/5. Got a taxi outside the port for 10pp for the day. He took us to Accra beach, where we got free chairs and umbrellas for food /drink purchase. Our taxi picked us up at 1pm and took us to Paynes. I wanted to see where Tiger got married. The locals made us CRAZY! I did negotiate a 10pp turtle swim, and sunken ship snorkel. Accra was our favorite, because of the people on Paynes. Turtles were fun though.

We were there on 8/5. Got a taxi outside the port for 10pp for the day. He took us to Accra beach, where we got free chairs and umbrellas for food /drink purchase. Our taxi picked us up at 1pm and took us to Paynes. I wanted to see where Tiger got married. The locals made us CRAZY! I did negotiate a 10pp turtle swim, and sunken ship snorkel. Accra was our favorite, because of the people on Paynes. Turtles were fun though.

Hi,

Was this $10 pp for a whole day? When did he pick you up from the ship and return you? Also, was the snorkeling good at the sunken ship wreck and were the turtles there plentiful? Is it a short boat ride out to the wreck and turtles?

Thanks

The first time we were in Barbados we went to malibu beach and there was a guy peddling the beach offering to swim with the turtles. It was a rinky dink boat but it was just my husband and I and two more couples. The guy put bait in the water and here came the turtles. The only bad thing was you were just free swimming, no flippers or anything. I am sure it wasn't nearly as nice as the catamaran tour but it did only cost $15 and we stayed out as long as we wanted. It was nice because we got a relaxing beach day and were able to swim with the turtles.

• 2 months later...

Archived