take a risk on delta?

suisui

Hi. my in-laws want to fly from ny to venice. they really prefer non-stop flights (my mother-in-law has a hard time with her ears during landing). Delta is the only one with a non-stop flight. after reading all this negative comments about delta, they've become worried. should they book it any way? they plan on flying in a day or two before cruise.

thanks to all

Hi. my in-laws want to fly from ny to venice. they really prefer non-stop flights (my mother-in-law has a hard time with her ears during landing). Delta is the only one with a non-stop flight. after reading all this negative comments about delta, they've become worried. should they book it any way? they plan on flying in a day or two before cruise.

thanks to all

So, I guess the question is how "really" do they prefer that? If that's the deal maker/breaker, then pony up for the DL flights.

If, on the other hand, it's a "negotiable" item, just what do you need to get to make up for the required stop?

Also, to help define the issue....just what are "all this negative comments" about DL that you describe? What is your worry?

Without specifics, you are dealing with just personal opinions in a very subjective area.

mostly they are worried that suddenly delta will change the non-stop to one that has stops. does this happen regularly?
Very rarely. Airlines make a living out of being predictable. That would be unpredictable.

However, schedules can and do change, but usually with several months' (up to 11 mos.) warning. When are they traveling?

Very rarely. Airlines make a living out of being predictable. That would be unpredictable.

However, schedules can and do change, but usually with several months' (up to 11 mos.) warning. When are they traveling?

Schedules change much more frequently and many times as close as two months or even closer to departure date......In this day and age, anything can happen regarding airline schedules with many airlines.

OP... I have flown Delta many many times and cannot say they are any better or worse than other carriers. As long as they get me from point A to B SAFELY... thats a good flight to me !

DL has a profitable little niche there with the only non-stop JFK-VCE. There is often a good sized price premium on DL for the non-stop vs a connection at CDG.

Personally, I do not see the non-stop disappearing from the DL schedule, especially for summer months. For this winter, DL is scaling back to a 5-time per week schedule, down from daily in the summer, and to a 767-300 from a 767-400 as is current.

Next thought....if DL is the only carrier with a non-stop...and DL ends non-stop service and goes to a connecting flight arrangement.....are you any worse off getting your non-stop ticket now? The worst that happens is that you get a single connect as you would on another carrier.

(Inside Baseball type thinking: The only possible move to a non-stop NYC-VCE might be from CO, and I think they have bigger targets than taking on DL on this heavy-leisure market. As for DL: Given that VCE is a pricey destination, even the leisure market can support higher fares on this route. But not if there's direct competition, so no one is interested in suicidal forays into a new route.)

thanks to all

I'm not sure if Delta is the bottom of the barrel but I'd take a non-stop for convenience and reduced risk of missed connection, lost/missed luggage anytime.

You could also consider US-Air which flies out of Philly. THey have a direct into Venice as well I believe.

We have used Delta for 2 non-stop flights to and from Europe. Just to let you know. No problems. The last one was in February. Round-trip Barcelona from Atlanta. Got all our luggage too! :)

We have used Delta for 2 non-stop flights to and from Europe.

Just a friendly suggestion....concentrate your flying on one carrier, even if you get a slightly better price elsewhere. That way, your FF miles go into one pot, not several, and you don't end up with "orphan" miles that won't get used. (noting that you were using AA miles for LA-MIA)

thanks to all

I don't fly too often any more but I've had no problems with Delta.

Delta does a lot to get people annoyed with them, but the sheer number of people that travel on them also has to be considered. Working for them, the major issue that I have with them is that Atlanta is always congested and causes problems. We have several flights a day to ATL that have to be off the ground at a certain time or air traffic control will hold them for a couple hours. However, I have never had problems connecting through CVG, SLC, JFK, only ATL. Internationally, the flights don't have anything spectacular, but gets you from one place to the other. The only other MAJOR complain I hear is the flight schedules and with a grasp on a market like they have with the OP's flight, the times/flt numbers will probably change, but I don't see that direct flight disappearing. just my opinion though

Archived