Montreal pre-cruise hotel

The Nelligan is a highly respected hotel in Old Montreal. It is highly rated and I would personally take it over the InterContinental any day of the week, it has a lot more charm to it. Certainly if you are getting the Nelligan at a rate cheaper, I would grab it.

NB: Please understand that I run a B&B and therefore you should take my comments with the appropriate grain of salt. I am not associated with either hotel.

Ephraim,

Thanks for your opinion.

I guess I was a bit disappointed when I phoned the Hotel Nelligan to make the reservation I asked they said they were no longer offering wine and cheese in the afternoon before dinner. When I hear something like that I always think of cutbacks and wonder what else has been changed or cut back.

We stayed at another old hotel in 2006 and I will have to recall the name. I liked it and they were soo nice but my DH thought it was "dark", and we like to ty to new places anyway.

Ephraim,

Thanks for your opinion.

I guess I was a bit disappointed when I phoned the Hotel Nelligan to make the reservation I asked they said they were no longer offering wine and cheese in the afternoon before dinner. When I hear something like that I always think of cutbacks and wonder what else has been changed or cut back.

We stayed at another old hotel in 2006 and I will have to recall the name. I liked it and they were soo nice but my DH thought it was "dark", and we like to ty to new places anyway.

We stayed here before. It was, however, in late October.

http://www.aubergeduvieuxport.com/

Ephraim,

Thanks for your opinion.

We stayed at another old hotel in 2006 and I will have to recall the name. I liked it and they were so nice but my DH thought it was "dark", and we like to try to new places anyway.

A lot of hotels have made that cut back, especially off-season. Even the price of plonk in Canada is high because of the taxes. Many hotels have been hurt because of the recession. Likely with the lower prices to be more competitive they have had to make a number of cutbacks, some more visible and others less visible.

Of course, while I know these hotels... I've not stayed in many of the hotels in Montreal and well... I do sleep every night in a B&B :)

I booked a night at Le Westin in October pre-cruise through hotwire and got a very reasonable rate. Of course I wasn't sure what hotel I'd end up in, but it sound very nice.

Anybody know if it is a good location? Anything of interest in walking distance?

I'll be in Montreal 2 half days and one night.

I booked a night at Le Westin in October pre-cruise through hotwire and got a very reasonable rate. Of course I wasn't sure what hotel I'd end up in, but it sound very nice.

Anybody know if it is a good location? Anything of interest in walking distance?

I'll be in Montreal 2 half days and one night.

Location is good, it's right on the edge of Old Montreal. But it is on a main street, so your windows will likely need to remain closed or you will hear traffic (and my car driving by, since I drive by there on the way home.)

Location is good, it's right on the edge of Old Montreal. But it is on a main street, so your windows will likely need to remain closed or you will hear traffic (and my car driving by, since I drive by there on the way home.)

Thanks

So are there any must see's? I know the basilica is across the street, so of course I will check that out. What about the observatory, is that worth seeing. I'm not a big shopper or foodie, but like to see and do things that are experience enriching. If that makes sense :-) Are there many sail boats in the harbour? I checked on hot air ballooning but that was out of my price range.

What to do always depends on the person and when. Montreal is a city of festivals, so that will change what's there.

No sailboats as far as I know. There is a duck (bateau-mouche) that does a tour, though being a Montrealer... I've never done it. Cirque du Soleil will be here for some of the summer. Tohu is also playing on certain dates. There is old Montreal including many historic sites. The Jean-Talon market (not a flea market, a real food market). I could list restaurants for two days. St-Joseph's oratory. The Plateau, the mountain, the metro, museum of fine art, contemporary art, Canadian history, architecture, just to name a few of the museums.

• 1 year later...

Hi, has anyone ever stayed at the Hotel Espresso? Looks like that is

where we are ending up the day before our mid-September cruise for 1 night! It is a bit of a gamble with hotwire...hopefully worth it. Thanks for everyone's ideas of where they have stayed, I've enjoyed reading them..they all sounded quite nice, but as I was pricing them I wanted something more in the budget.

We really will be walking all over town that 1st day anyway and fall in comfortable beds? the night before the big adventure!!

I am a Montrealer, but I have also stayed in many downtown hotels just for fun, and I am not connected in anyway with the hotel industry.

I have stayed in and recommend:

Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth (especially if you are a Fairmont's President's Club member and can get an upgrade, but you will get free internet as even a basic FPC member)

Hotel Intercontinental (beautiful bathrooms in every room, good location in Old Montreal)

Hotel St. James (very luxe, where the celebrities stay when in town, so very expensive, and a bit dark for my taste, since it's built in an old bank building)

Auberge Pierre du Calvet (historic property in Old Montreal - very old, but very special atmosphere, last time I checked, the breakfast was included. This place is very close to the port)

Marriott at the Airport (great location if you are flying in or out, since it is directly in the US terminal, new hotel so everything is in very good shape. This is not my favorite in-airport hotel, but is very good)

Loews Montreal (nice bathrooms, nice location downtown, but far from the port)

Auberge du Vieux Port (excellent location very close to the port, right in Old Montreal, lots of restaurants and cafes nearby, nice restaurant right in the hotel itself - rooms are good.)

Places I have stayed at that are ok:

Sheraton Montreal (nicest indoor pool complex, rooms just ok)

Hilton Bonaventure (strange business hotel located on upper floors of a convention centre, but has a nice outdoor heated pool)

Delta Centre-Ville (next door to Hilton Bonaventure, rooms are so-so)

Delta Montreal (another Delta Hotel, closer to McGill University than the other - better than Centre-Ville, but still just ok)

Wyndham Airport (I stayed here when it was the hilton - very average hotel, but right in front of the airport, with a free shuttle, so it`s handy)

The W Hotel (located just north of the Intercontinental, this is a strange hotel. Strange rooms, strange open bathrooms, but very good pancakes for breakfast!)

I can`t think of any more for now.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived