Montreal pre-cruise hotel

Sure this has been asked and answered but, as I am useless with search engines, I am going to ask anyway! So, we arrive Montreal evening before the departure and am not going to have the time/energy to do any sightseeing before embarkation. That said, we'd like a nice(ish) hotel near airport which has shuttle service from airport. Figure it'd be cheaper to stay out there than in town. Suggestions, anyone??

Sure this has been asked and answered but, as I am useless with search engines, I am going to ask anyway! So, we arrive Montreal evening before the departure and am not going to have the time/energy to do any sightseeing before embarkation. That said, we'd like a nice(ish) hotel near airport which has shuttle service from airport. Figure it'd be cheaper to stay out there than in town. Suggestions, anyone??

We have the same situation, arriving Friday evening. We booked through priceline (less than $50) and won the Aloft Hotel 3* at the airport. I emailed them and they have 24 hr shuttle service from the airport.

The aLoft is right next to the Hilton at the Airport. It's a fine hotel. I wouldn't buy the overpriced muffins, but otherwise fine for people under 50. Those over 50 might find the decor and the whole loft concept a bit too much for them. It's a very European feel with concrete, lack of walls and a very big screen TV.

Now we think we want to come into city and spend night there so we can enjoy a bit of Montreal before we board the ship. That said, what recommendations do folks have for full-service lodging in town?

We just enjoyed our third stay at the Hyatt in downtown Montreal. It is in a great location, walking distance to Old Port, across the street from Montreal Museum of Modern Art and best of all it is built over a large shopping complex. Complexe Desjardene (spelling) is on bottom level of hotel and has about 3 or 4 floors with huge food court, restaurants, deluxe shopping, liquor stores, and a very nice full service grocery for soft drinks, beer, etc. Our first stay there it was a Wyndham but is now a Hyatt.

Now we think we want to come into city and spend night there so we can enjoy a bit of Montreal before we board the ship. That said, what recommendations do folks have for full-service lodging in town?

Ste Sulpice in Old Montreal is my favourite, followed by the Hilton Bonaventure. The Hilton is on the top of an office building and attached to the train station.

Viv

For our May cruise ending in Montreal we stayed at the Marriott Springhill Suites in Old Town Montreal. Nice rooms, full breakfast, unique lounge and restaurant. It is very conviently located and from our room we got to see our home away from home MS Maasdam sail away.

We stayed at the Rodeway Inn in Dorval a few years ago because it was at the time the only place reasonably convenient--not costing an arm and a leg--for a night before cruising the next day. Nothing remarkable, and perfectly adequate for an anonymous night. The most memorable aspect was that while our luggage was rather heavy the desk clerk was so burly he was able to pick up one piece with a single hand and carry it over his shoulder!

The hotel was just a short distance from the transit centre in Dorval, from which we caught the bus the next day towards the port. There is courtesy transportation to the airport.

The locations and hotels that I don't recommend are:

Financial district - Basically a sort of dead zone at night after everyone leaves the stock market. Hotels in this area are the Delta Centre-Ville, the W and the Hilton Bonaventure (though the Hilton does have a pass through via Place Bonaventure to the train station which goes to Place Ville-Marie and then on to the Eaton Centre, so it's better than the other two).

Rene-Levesque at St-Laurent - Basically Rene-Levesque is a main street, but that area currently has a few "interesting" characteristics to it including a homeless shelter and a needle exchange. Hotels in this area are: Abri du Voyageur, Holiday Inn Express, Candlewood Suites, Days Inn, Montreal Inn and Le 1 Rene-Levesque. They are improving the neighbourhood, but it's just not ready... yet.

Airport, South Shore, Laval, Pointe-Claire and the Olympic Stadium - All suburban locations, great if that's where you need to be, horrible if you want to be near everything.

I've stayed at the Novotel on de la Montagne (just north of Rene-Levesque) a couple of times, including this past May. Not too expensive (vicinity of C$110 for a double), a block over from a huge and interesting restaurant selection on rue Crescent, walkable to shopping on Ste. Catherine and at Place Ville Marie, friendly staff and free Wif-Fi in the lobby.

• 5 months later...

Hi

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Dauphin Downtown? I will be sailing

July 10th on the Maasdam with my two granddaughters. The reviews looked pretty good for a night stay, and they offer a continental breakfast buffet.

We stayed at the Hotel Nelligan for two nights in October after a cruise and really enjoyed it. It's in the Old Town area and a really neat hotel. Continental type breakfast in the morning and wine at night. I think it's also close to where some ships leave from.

Enjoy!

Hotel Nelligan is definitely walking distance to the port. It is a very nice boutique style hotel. Being a Montrealer I have never stayed there but I have gone up to the rooftop terrace for a drink and a snack. It has some nice views of the river and of the city.

Here is a link to all the hotels near the airport that offer a shuttle service.

http://www.admtl.com/passager/acces_et_stationnement/_hotels.aspx

I think the Hilton is located on the airport property. Many of the other hotel recommendations listed are in downtown Montreal. Depending on when you arrive, Downtown Monteal is less than 30 mins from the airport.

We also plan to spend a few days in Montreal next Fall prior to our cruise. I am partial to the Loew's Hotel in San Diego, and the one in Montreal looks nice and is inexpensive as well. Anyone have any experience with this hotel? I believe it is in the heart of the downtown area. I thought we would take a few guided tours from the hotel during our extra days there, including especially a trip out to the Laurentian Mts. We will be there in late Sept. so I am hoping the trees will be turned, if not at their peak color.......

Thanks for any comments about the Loews.

• 1 month later...
We stayed at the Hotel Nelligan for two nights in October after a cruise and really enjoyed it. It's in the Old Town area and a really neat hotel. Continental type breakfast in the morning and wine at night. I think it's also close to where some ships leave from.

Enjoy!

They told me they are no longer offering the cheese and wine.

Here is a link to all the hotels near the airport that offer a shuttle service.

http://www.admtl.com/passager/acces_et_stationnement/_hotels.aspx

I think the Hilton is located on the airport property. Many of the other hotel recommendations listed are in downtown Montreal. Depending on when you arrive, Downtown Montreal is less than 30 mins from the airport.

I guess it's been a while since you have been to the airport. The Marriott is built into the airport (in the new American departures wing). The aLoft is on the airport property but not attached. And Hilton is now the Wyndham and also on airport property but not attached.

As for the Rodeway Inn... well, I won't say anything, just look it up on TripAdvisor. Most Montrealers would know the Loews as the Vogue. Which is a fine (and expensive) hotel in the downtown core.

Any hotel in Old Montreal is be expensive. It's some of the most expensive land in all of Canada... someone has to pay the mortgage and the property taxes.... and it's reflected in the rates. But on the other hand there are few hotels in Old Montreal that I personally would say are definitely worth the money, if money isn't an object.

As usual, I will add my warning that I may not be impartial as I own a B&B in Montreal. Take my comments with the appropriate grain of salt.

I always always always recommend the Residence Inn by Marriott. All rooms are considered suites, with a full kitchen and separate sitting area, and they include a full hot breakfast buffet. They're very reasonably cost as well.

I go to Montreal about 6 times a year, and I always stay here:

http://www.residenceinn-mtl.com/welcome.html

AWESOME location (but no shuttle...most downtown hotels do NOT have shuttles, so you'll have to cab it - but it'll be worth it to check out Montreal).

Now, if you'd rather be in Old Montreal, which is older and prettier and more scenic (not so "hardcore" as the other part of town I recommended), then I suggest :

http://www.springhillmontreal.com/en/index.php

I've stayed here a few times as well, and the cost is quite good for the location. Here, you also get the breakfast buffet and for Old Montreal, you couldn't ask for a better spot.

I booked the Hotel Inter-Continental. I hope I haven't made a mistake. Opinions?

It's a gorgeous hotel in a great spot - you'll have no regrets. You're within walking distance to both the newer downtown area AND Old Montreal. You'll be very happy with your choice.

(assuming this is the hotel you're talking about: http://montreal.intercontinental.com/)

It's a gorgeous hotel in a great spot - you'll have no regrets. You're within walking distance to both the newer downtown area AND Old Montreal. You'll be very happy with your choice.

(assuming this is the hotel you're talking about: http://montreal.intercontinental.com/)

What is your opinion of the Hotel Intercontinental vs Hotel Nelligan. We were going to book the Intercontinental (Has used them in Buenos Aires and Crowne Plaza in Bejing - which was just as nice as the Intercontinental) but on our date the Hotel Nelligan is much less, maybe over a $50.00 differance and we need two nights. I think both include a continental (not full) breakfast.

I wanted this hotel very much and am glad it is a good decision. Thank you!

What is your opinion of the Hotel Intercontinental vs Hotel Nelligan. We were going to book the Intercontinental (Has used them in Buenos Aires and Crowne Plaza in Bejing - which was just as nice as the Intercontinental) but on our date the Hotel Nelligan is much less, maybe over a $50.00 difference and we need two nights. I think both include a continental (not full) breakfast.

The Nelligan is a highly respected hotel in Old Montreal. It is highly rated and I would personally take it over the InterContinental any day of the week, it has a lot more charm to it. Certainly if you are getting the Nelligan at a rate cheaper, I would grab it.

NB: Please understand that I run a B&B and therefore you should take my comments with the appropriate grain of salt. I am not associated with either hotel.

Archived