Passports

Nancy53

This is correct. The cruiselines strongly suggest a passport but the US Government doesn't require it. The reason cruiselines strongly recommend it is because they know that something can happen that would require a passenger to remain in port or have to fly back to the US, which presents considerable problems. Things happen all the time on cruise ships from broken ankles to death.

So true.

Of course, to play devil's advocate, if I should happen to die during my cruise, the lack of a passport would arguably be the least of my worries . . .

You CAN fly home to the US without any form of picture ID

To the best of my knowledge, you won't be forced to seek citizenship in a country due to a lack of ID. There are a few countries I wouldn't object to. The process might not even be as difficult as you would expect. Three years ago, after 9/11, DH flew home after loosing his only form of ID. There wasn't even a delay getting through. Me thinks Big Brother knows when we leave:eek: After reading these boards I thought that would have been impossible or at least a nightmare, but No, it happened and quite smoothly.

I read the information on line and lost 2 vacation days worrying. He didn't and was positive he would be fine and was :-)

Just get the passport and be done with it. Don't trifle with bad advice. Do you really want to try and explain why you have no ID in some foreign country where there are probably going to be language issues? i doubt it.

Agree 100%

Like others have posted, I would say simply get the passport. The application is very simple and easy to do. Eventually, passports will be needed anyway. Also, I cannot concur strongly enough with others who warn about accidents and illness that happen abroad. Without a passport, you cannot fly back into the U.S.

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise.

Archived