Misty Fjords question

KadyD

We are planning on taking an excursion out of Ketchikan to Misty Fjords, taking the boat ride to, and returning via floatplane. Does everyone book this trip through their ship, or has anyone booked privately to do this? Any recommendations of a company for private booking? Thanks!

I've got a group going and we're taking a floatplane with Southeast Aviation. They were highly recommended on here and Jim is really good to work with. We can't wait to get there in a little over a week. :):)

we just returned and used SE Aviation. our pilot was a little quiet, not alot of narration, but that was o.k. the scenery was absolutely incredible. we landed in a quiet cove which was really cool. they did a good job. the pick up was a little confusing. they said to check in at a certain time, so we did, but then the pick up wasn't for about a half hour later, so be sure to clarify that.

If you're just looking to do the flightseeing, Island Wings in Ketchikan are great. Michelle is the owner/pilot and she is just teriffic. We got to land and actually get out of the plane deep in the Fjords where we saw bears which was a nice bonus. I highly recommend them.

If you're just looking to do the flightseeing, Island Wings in Ketchikan are great. Michelle is the owner/pilot and she is just teriffic. We got to land and actually get out of the plane deep in the Fjords where we saw bears which was a nice bonus. I highly recommend them.

I second Michelle of Island Wings. She was fabulous and even landed the plane in in the middle of all the beauty for us to wander around on land a bit. She has headphones and speakers for all the passengers so she provides detailed narrative regarding the Fjords. One of the best experiences of our lives.

Island Wings with Michelle is simply fabulous! We must have been aboard the same flight as the earlier poster...because just as we were pulling up to a secluded lake front rock landing...there right up from us 50 yards were two beautiful black bears. Michelle said she had been coming and going to this secluded lake for over 17 years and had never seen bears like this..up close and personal.

The weather for our trip was gorgeous...lots of sun and little mist...but it allowed Michelle to navigate right over mountain tips that would not be possible with the mist.

If you are wondering about the scenary....I believe Teddy Roosevelt said it best: "scenary so beautiful as to bankrupt the English language."

Aside from some of the finest natural scenary still left anywhere on the globe...you are in very good hands with Michelle and Island Wings. She's got it down and aims for everyone onboard to have a great flight. Very professional...very committed...and loving what she does for a "living!"

I'm sure there are some other very good float plane operators from Ketchican; but, I went with the advice of many other CC posters who had flown with Michelle....and I was absolutely delighted.

Island Wings with Michelle is simply fabulous! We must have been aboard the same flight as the earlier poster...because just as we were pulling up to a secluded lake front rock landing...there right up from us 50 yards were two beautiful black bears. Michelle said she had been coming and going to this secluded lake for over 17 years and had never seen bears like this..up close and personal.

The weather for our trip was gorgeous...lots of sun and little mist...but it allowed Michelle to navigate right over mountain tips that would not be possible with the mist.

If you are wondering about the scenary....I believe Teddy Roosevelt said it best: "scenary so beautiful as to bankrupt the English language."

Aside from some of the finest natural scenary still left anywhere on the globe...you are in very good hands with Michelle and Island Wings. She's got it down and aims for everyone onboard to have a great flight. Very professional...very committed...and loving what she does for a "living!"

I'm sure there are some other very good float plane operators from Ketchican; but, I went with the advice of many other CC posters who had flown with Michelle....and I was absolutely delighted.

You are so right!!! She did a marvelous job!!! We went with one other couple and were just blown away by the trip!! The stop on the peaceful beautiful cove was excellent! I loved the quote by Teddy - he said it all!! Michelle was very personable - made the trip!!

You can book Island Wings through their website...which is pretty straight forward and very user friendly. Or, you can call Eileen their one and only operations manager who handles all of the paperwork, booking, etc.

We chose Michelle and Island Wings due to the many fine posts on Cruise Critic (Alaska) and from the reviews in TripAdvisor who I think has Michelle ranked #2 out of 20 or so Ketchican attractions.

While I am sure that there are other many fine float plane operators out of ketchican...I chose Michelle because of reports of "smaller" and more "personalized" service. Plus, she has interactive headphones and narrates as you go along. Or, if everyone just wants to shut up and soak in the scenary...that happens also.

In the end of the day....Michelle is hopeful that everyone "lucky" enough to go out with her had a wonderful time. And, with her winning attitude and professionalism..it would be the exception to the rule if you didn't have a wonderful time.

Don't be afraid to "book it" direct yourself. It's a real easy proposition...and you will love the fact that Michelle really is head cook, bottle washer, pilot, float plane positioner, people loader and unloader. Finally, if you don't have a truly great and fun time with Michelle...it would be a real fluke.

You can book Island Wings through their website...which is pretty straight forward and very user friendly. Or, you can call Eileen their one and only operations manager who handles all of the paperwork, booking, etc.

We chose Michelle and Island Wings due to the many fine posts on Cruise Critic (Alaska) and from the reviews in TripAdvisor who I think has Michelle ranked #2 out of 20 or so Ketchican attractions.

While I am sure that there are other many fine float plane operators out of ketchican...I chose Michelle because of reports of "smaller" and more "personalized" service. Plus, she has interactive headphones and narrates as you go along. Or, if everyone just wants to shut up and soak in the scenary...that happens also.

In the end of the day....Michelle is hopeful that everyone "lucky" enough to go out with her had a wonderful time. And, with her winning attitude and professionalism..it would be the exception to the rule if you didn't have a wonderful time.

Don't be afraid to "book it" direct yourself. It's a real easy proposition...and you will love the fact that Michelle really is head cook, bottle washer, pilot, float plane positioner, people loader and unloader. Finally, if you don't have a truly great and fun time with Michelle...it would be a real fluke.

One small correction - Eileen is with Harv and Marv (Jay's wife - I think????) - Shona works for Michelle.

I found Island Wings email to be iffy but they do have a toll-free number - just remember the time difference when you call.

Had a FABULOUS flight with Michelle this past Wednesday. Since I'd flown with her last summer, I told her where we'd gone then and she said we'd do something else this year - and the first timers would have a great flight no matter where we went. Well, it turned out that it was even more spectacular this year - and I thought that would have been impossible!

Thanx Texas Tillie...you're correct that Eileen is with Harv & Marv. We also did Harv & Marv and had a blast watching the whales in Juneau. Sorry for any confusion to the OP. Shona is the administrator for Michelle at Island Wings. You're also correct that I, too, initially ran into some e-mail difficulties with both Harv & Marv and Island Wings. However, everyone seemed able to work over the telephone. Follow up by e-mail was much better after the booking had occured. So, if you are interested in either operation...maybe using the telephone would yield better intial results. Thanks for the observation.

Thanks for the suggestion - my Fiancee and I just booked a tour with them for when we're in Ketchikan. Very excited!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived