I'm Willing to Try It!!! ESCARGOT

tjeanty

They are not slimy. The texture is very much like mushrooms. They have a very mild flavor and the butter and garlic are mainly what you will taste. Your cruise is the perfect opportunity to try new foods that you would not want to have to pay for at a restaurant or grocery store only to find that you don't particularly care for the taste.

Ditto. They reminded me of the stuffed mushrooms served in the same dining room...

I like stuffed mushrooms...and I liked the escargot.

As many above have said, and I have said many times before. Get some hard crusted, full bodied bread. The SNAILS are swimming in garlic and butter. Use the bread to sop up the tasty garlic butter. Throw the muddy tasting garden slugs away!:D:eek::rolleyes:

Might as well eat lychee nuts.

I dont even think I could eat the bread dipped in garlic surrounding the slugs...

EWWWW

Allen eats them... said it tastes like garlic mushrooms.>!

Definitely time to try new stuff - esp as you are not 'committed' and can choose something else.

My first sushi attempt was at the sushi bar at the Valor - was so proud of myself - have several pics of me eating sushi - and I really liked it (and still do).

Then there are those 'weirdly' described things on the menu that sound sketchy? Well after a few cruises I was tired of the usual desserts and tried the Warm Cinnamon Fig and date cake - WOW - it was sooo goood! I couldn't believe it had been shying away from it. Now I tell tablemates to try it - it's really good! They look at me disbelievingly but then change their minds once they have had some - I now look forward to it on every cruise!

Still have to try the 'bitter and blanc' everyone is raving about! :)

You know...I've never had sushi...always been afraid to try! (but I've had escargot...go figure!) Think I'm going to have to take the plunge and try it on this upcoming cruise!

I love the escargot and order it every time we cruise. DH always says he's not kissing me the night I eat them!!!:eek:

My DH says the same thing!

Two (non-cruise) stories:

1. I was at a restaurant in New Mexico and ordered the escargot. I didn't read the description of how they prepared it so I was surprised when it did not come swimming in garlic butter but rather on a bed of lettuce with the "meat" out of the shell, just these scrawny black things laying there. :eek:

2. It was our last day in Paris on a whirlwind trip (4 days). We had yet to eat at a restaurant that had escargot so I told my GF on the last day I HAD to have escargot in France. So we found a restaurant and I ordered it. They were huge! And I know they were fresh (not just the meat put into shells) because when I went to get them out of the shell, there was a little tug, like it was still connected.

Just echo-ing what others have said. Cruises are a great time to try new things. On our first cruise I tried escargot and several other items. If you don't like it, order another appetizer. It's a great opportunity to try stuff without paying extra for it like at a restaurant!

Escargot is now one of my favorite foods. I look forward to it on every cruise. I love garlic and mostly you just taste the garlic butter. My DH on the other hand tried them the first time and just turns his nose up now when I order them. And in the meantime, I found out on that first cruise that I don't like duck. Live and learn. ;)

And in the meantime, I found out on that first cruise that I don't like duck. Live and learn. ;)

GASP! How can you not like duck? For shame. Duck is one of my favorite foods.

;)

OP- good for you! We got a plate for the table on one our cruises so that we could all try it out for the first time. I really liked it, but then I'd like anything covered in butter and garlic. :) Try anything you want- it's one of the few times you can try all these fabulous foods without having to pay extra for them.

Thanks everyone for responding about your experiences! I can't wait to get on board and try them! I am really anxious, and the pictures that some of you posted, makes me want them even more! Here's another question: Can I only order them the night that they are on the menu?

You can have my escargot; I'll take your lobster! :D

Sorry, I am an AVID LOVER of seafood...I cruise for the lobster tails...you can't have that one! But, if I don't like the escargot, I have no problem giving it to you!

Always get at least two servings (for me). We have been known to ask the head waiter for them on other nights, and on one ship the Maitre'd and the chef paraded out platters of escargot for our table of eight, each and every night. We almost (but not quite) got sick of them on that one cruise. Eight people with three servings apiece each night.

Hypo

The different foods and drinks are some of the things that I look forward too on each cruise. I enjoy new taste. My ex used to say that I would eat anything. Pretty much true, I do find very few foods that I do not like. Also use the cruises to try drinks that I have never had before. I am more picky about my alcohol than about food. I have definetly had some stange mix concoctions that I have no desire to try again. But you never know if you will like something until you try it.

Thanks everyone for responding about your experiences! I can't wait to get on board and try them! I am really anxious, and the pictures that some of you posted, makes me want them even more! Here's another question: Can I only order them the night that they are on the menu?

No, you can order them for breakfast lunch and dinner every day! You will only get them when they are on the menu, but you can order.:p:D

All joking aside, I wouldn't be surprised that if they were ordered anytime, they waiter would produce them.

I had always though I would not like escargot but after hearing the granddaughter of neighbors (she was 7) talk about how good it was I figured I had to try it. Well now I wait for the night on a cruise when they have it and usually order 2.

I'm sure you wont be dissappointed.

Then there are those 'weirdly' described things on the menu that sound sketchy? Well after a few cruises I was tired of the usual desserts and tried the Warm Cinnamon Fig and date cake - WOW - it was sooo goood! I couldn't believe it had been shying away from it. Now I tell tablemates to try it - it's really good! They look at me disbelievingly but then change their minds once they have had some - I now look forward to it on every cruise!

Still have to try the 'bitter and blanc' everyone is raving about! :)

One of my favorites. And, I will be sure and try the Fig and and Date cake. Sounds like something I would like.

I've tried a lot of new things on cruises, but never the Escargot. I had them years ago at an upscale restaurant. I might be BOLD and try them again next cruise. I've tried grouper and sushi (did not like). I've never liked duck, but I don't like dark chicken/turkey meat either and duck is too greasy.

HELLO ALL,

I have NEVER tried escargot, and am really skeptic too. Everyone describes it as slimy, and sort of gamey. Well, I said to my SO, we are going on this fantastic cruise, and I should just get out of my comfort zone and try it. Besides, if I don't like it, I can just order something else.

Anywho, I just thought I'd share that...sailing Carnival Victory 7/26/09!!!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm escargot, they put it in garlic butter with some cheese on top, yummy. The ones I've had on board are very tender and wonderful, no slime no gamey taste, Delicious .........enjoy:D

Sounds gross, eating snails and raw fish. I will just stick with plain steak and potatoes!

Brenda, Sushi is not raw fish, it's smoked salmon and tuna. Sashimi is raw fish, just an FYI. And the sushi on Carnival was very good, you should try it!!! Escargot was sorta like mushrooms in garlic butter, that kinda consistancy, very nice actually.

Cheers, Carole

Archived