N917 tomorrow- change of terminal

berlingo

Just got a text to say that Ventura leaving tomorrow ie 17th July, is now leaving from the Mayflower not the Ocean Terminal.

I cannot find anything about this on the website. Have others had the same message?

Does this happen a lot and will it make much difference?

I am just so glad we got the message. It was sent to my husbands work mobile and messages can be there for weeks sometimes before he notices!

Thanks julia

Just got a text to say that Ventura leaving tomorrow ie 17th July, is now leaving from the Mayflower not the Ocean Terminal.

I cannot find anything about this on the website. Have others had the same message?

Does this happen a lot and will it make much difference?

I am just so glad we got the message. It was sent to my husbands work mobile and messages can be there for weeks sometimes before he notices!

Thanks julia

Check if this link gets updated.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/cruise_ship.asp

It shows Oriana at the Mayflower berth but the live one shows Ventura.

Looks like Oriana has also been moved from Mayflower to QEII so there will be a lot of people arriving at the wrong terminals. I wonder how many actually know of the changes and will the cars be in the right places for the arriving passengers. There are no ships shown at the Ocean terminal on the live schedule which is strange with three P&O ships in. Could be chaotic

Brian

Won't CPS staff be organised for this sort of thing ?

I feel sure there'll be staff re-routing arrivee's, hope so as nobody wants to be messed around at the beginning of a holiday.

Never heard of anyone getting a text before.

But have heard in last few weeks of Ventura having trouble getting into Ocean Terminal due to the tides-water level?

I doubt draft is a problem - RMS Queen Mary 2 docks there.

I doubt draft is a problem - RMS Queen Mary 2 docks there.

Ventura was delayed docking by fog on the 26th of June, and was then unable to unload bags due to the tide level, the following Cruise passengers of which I was one were delayed, the delay also caused a one & a half hour cue to the terminal by the extra traffic congestion it created. I should think if the Captain of Ventura saw the tides not right for arrival today he would have asked for a move to the other dock.

i was on Oriana, we were told that due to strong winds, we got the QEII terminal instead of ventura, Aurora was in also, we met her in the channel and sailed alongside for a while, it was good

It seems very strange that ABP and Carnival have spent millions in creating what is supposed to be a State of the Art cruise terminal, which is not usuable when the other older Terminals are. Remember the Tide height variations in Southampton water are relatively small and are the same for all Terminals. The New Ocean Teminal is virtually in the same position used by the old Ocean liners which had a much bigger Draft. eg. QM2 Draft 9.95mts. Ventura draft 8.5mts. Titanic Draft 10.51mts. Queen Elizabeth Draft 12 mts.

It seems very strange that ABP and Carnival have spent millions in creating what is supposed to be a State of the Art cruise terminal, which is not usuable when the other older Terminals are.

I don't find it strange at all, just another prime example of bad design. The new terminal at Gatwick is incompatible with the passenger carrying trolleys in the old terminal, so when you go from one to the other you have to change trolleys!:eek::rolleyes::confused:

Well, the police will do the actual processing - but in practice yes, the Crown Prosecution Service can expect to be busy when Ventura comes in.

Perhaps you can explain what you mean by that?

Well, the police will do the actual processing - but in practice yes, the Crown Prosecution Service can expect to be busy when Ventura comes in.

Perhaps you can explain what you mean by that?

It's a sense of humour Tom ;)

Never heard of anyone getting a text before.

But have heard in last few weeks of Ventura having trouble getting into Ocean Terminal due to the tides-water level?

Hmm, wouldn't be too surprised if it is because of this. When we were on Ventura, noticed how much got disturbed underneath. I wonder if they've dredged that berth area in a while.

Still showing QM 2 as berthing there a few times, makes me wonder why they aren't going from the QE 2 berth.

To change the berth so late in the day, is very strange. I think that decisions will need to be made in the near future about which ships they allow in there.

Unless that is I got it completely wrong, and this was a one off, but definitely something to keep an eye on!

At the end of the day, always keep the P&O number to hand and call them if not sure. Failing that, when you turn up at the dock, the security will soon tell you if it's been changed, and it's only another miles diversion. Just be careful of West Quay Road on a Saturday afternoon, it gets chocker!

Scrozuk

Triton Highway, a vehicle carrier, was at Ocean Terminal.

Yes, and so has QM2 used it, but perhaps they had calm weather conditions. The problem it seems is when the weather is windy. ANother post from someone who left on Ventura 2 days ago on another site said...

''Ventura supposed to sail from there today, however as it was windy the terminal pontoons can't cope so we ended up at good old Mayflower. How many millions have Carnival wasted on a terminal that can only be used in calm conditions? ''

by the way a comment after that was CPS spent the money on this terminal not Carnival....but Carnival may have some investment in the new terminal.

Really? Thought their office in Southampton was at Portswood. Why would they be spending in the docks?

Archived