Question for people who cruised before computers

lovebug33

My Aunt gave me a bar menu from Home Lines in the early 70's - the most expensive drink was a martini with premium liquor. It was 80 cents.

That's why we still pay pretty much the same price today as when we started cruising 23 years ago. Drinks used to be way under shore prices and now they're up with the most expensive places.

I don't remember ever using cash aboard (except tips of course) We took our first cruise in 1986.

My first cruise was on the Ocean Monarch, an English ship with English crew. I asked my steward for a cabin key. He was stunned and said I didn't one because he watched all the cabins. He was there day and night, sitting in a small cubicle, watching both left and right. Drinks were 25 cents for a domestic beer, 35 cents for imported and 50 cents for a mixed drink (45 cents for the liquor and 5 cents for the soda. The ship closed down around midnight so you had to make your own party.

Tourguide

I remember signing for purchases on paper with the carbon copy attached. You got the copy for your receipt and they kept they original. Somewhere I still have yellow copies of receipts from past cruises.

I also remember those room key cards with holes in them. You had to turn them in at the end of the cruise.

Those were the days............

On the Italian Line's Leonardo DaVinci in 1972 there was a steward on duty at each lobby leading to the cabin passageways. He had a large board with cabin keys on hooks, and he would look at your identification and hand you your key. When you left your cabin you would give the steward your key and he would replace it on the board. When a cabin steward needed to clean or service your cabin, he had to get the key from the lobby steward. Hotels in Europe had much the same system at that time.

On the Italian Line's Leonardo DaVinci in 1972 there was a steward on duty at each lobby leading to the cabin passageways. He had a large board with cabin keys on hooks, and he would look at your identification and hand you your key. When you left your cabin you would give the steward your key and he would replace it on the board. When a cabin steward needed to clean or service your cabin, he had to get the key from the lobby steward. Hotels in Europe had much the same system at that time.

I was going to mention that on one of our earliest cruises back in the 80's on the Stella Oceanis, we had a key which we kept while we were on the ship. Whenever we left the ship, we gave it to someone at the gangway who hung it up on a hook on a board. They used this to determine whether everyone was on board when it was time to leave. If someone forgot to leave the key, they would check their cabin to be sure they weren't ashore.

Archived