Itinerary Help -FOS 03/10 with young teens

Hi all,

Despite my wishes for a port heavy AOS itinerary, I was voted down (by DH and sons) in favour of FOS. I have read good things about snorkeling at CocoCay, and at St. Martin I am keen for our family to try the America's Cup Sailing excursion....now what to do about St. Thomas. On a previous visit, we did the Castaway Girl catamaran for snorkeling at Buck Island. While we really enjoyed the catamaran and our first snorkelling experience, the bay seemed rather busy with a number of snorkelling groups, and a BOB excursion. Although we are tourists, DH prefers that while at port we don't do the same excursions as 2000 other passengers. Trolley/bus sightseeing is out of the question, as well as overcrowded beaches. I'm thinking of the kayak, hike, snorkel excursion.... a few of the sailing and snorkelling ones sound good but I don't know if that might just be more of the same thing, with the other 2 ports. Is there an excursion/activity that any family with teen boys really enjoyed?

Thanks!:)

We did Castaway Girl last time too and wouldn't again. There were 75 people and one guide, it was way to crowded for our liking. My teen enjoyed it since he is a fish and just got out of the pack but I didn't like the full contact snorkelling that was going on as people tried to follow the guide.

Next time we head that way we are considering this excursion:

Yacht Adventures Sail & Snorkel - ST83

Take an excursion off the beaten path aboard a sailing yacht, ranging from 40 to 50 feet and from classic yawls and ketches to modern sloops. Enjoy an intimate group of no more than six passengers as you sail and snorkel the clear, blue waters surrounding St. Thomas. Guests who want can learn the basics of sailing. Age participation is between 4 and 70 years old. Maximum weight restriction is 350 pounds.

Only 6 people allowed so much more personal. We have done a deep sea fishing excursion that they only allowed 6 passengers and it was great. Worth a bit more money to us to have less people.

Hi all,

Despite my wishes for a port heavy AOS itinerary, I was voted down (by DH and sons) in favour of FOS. I have read good things about snorkeling at CocoCay, and at St. Martin I am keen for our family to try the America's Cup Sailing excursion....now what to do about St. Thomas. On a previous visit, we did the Castaway Girl catamaran for snorkeling at Buck Island. While we really enjoyed the catamaran and our first snorkelling experience, the bay seemed rather busy with a number of snorkelling groups, and a BOB excursion. Although we are tourists, DH prefers that while at port we don't do the same excursions as 2000 other passengers. Trolley/bus sightseeing is out of the question, as well as overcrowded beaches. I'm thinking of the kayak, hike, snorkel excursion.... a few of the sailing and snorkelling ones sound good but I don't know if that might just be more of the same thing, with the other 2 ports. Is there an excursion/activity that any family with teen boys really enjoyed?

In St Thomas get off the ship as early as possible and take a cab to red hook and take the ferry to St John. On St John you can shop and go to Truck bay and snorkel. It is much quiter. You do have to watch the time and make sure you get back to St thomas by around 3 pm to give you time to get back to the ship.

Hi all,

In the caribbean we never take ship sponored excursions, they are 2 to 3 times as expensive and going through locals. We have never had trouble with locals and if you research you can find many options here on cruise critic.

Archived