Pizza - Rome or Florence?

tjljsc

Hi Jen,

You'll find great pizza just about anywhere in those two cities. Two restaurants we found with outstanding pizza are below. The top photo is Florence the bottom one Rome.

Lew

20090717-k8kiia2pu3r1ahn9a9j5xiiikg.jpg

20090717-81fe9edx7epiu6gb444y2kufk2.jpg

We definitely want to do pizza in Italy, but aren't sure which port to seek it out. Any recommendations?

To answer your question, pizza in Italy is fantastic regardless where. Just make sure you look or a place that has a wood fired oven. That is an integral part of why they are so good. The bottom cooks as perfectly as the top. That plus the ingredients, they just seem to have more flavor.

I have had pizza in Florence (sorry I do not remember the name but it was at a place beside the Duomo) and it was great. I don't think you can go wrong in either place.

If you have one, you must try the Margherita, just tomato, mozzarella, fresh basil and olive oil on a thin crust baked in a wood fired stone or brick oven (geez, I am hungry now LOL). Legend has it that it was invented in the late 1800's for Queen Margherita and the ingredients are the colors of the Italian flag.

Archived