Weehawken Ferry Question

anno

We are cruising out of Manhattan July 23rd. We would like to take the NY Waterways ferry across the Hudson. Will we be able to take our luggage on to the ferry bus or will we need to catch a taxi? Any information you can give would be great. It is a little to far for me to walk.

We are cruising out of Manhattan July 23rd. We would like to take the NY Waterways ferry across the Hudson. Will we be able to take our luggage on to the ferry bus or will we need to catch a taxi? Any information you can give would be great. It is a little to far for me to walk.

Which ferry bus are you referring to?? The one for local residents-only runs during the week days. And quite a few of the "ferry" buses run only on the weekdays (like the one from the ferry terminal across 50th ST)

Better check this out thoroughly before you plan on a ferry/bus route. The bus will be the CITY BUS. OK with a carry on size suitcase, could be a real hassle with a full sized suitcase PLUS a carryon.

Generally, NY Waterway is quite accommodating. The buses that are used are modified school buses, but rarely have I seen them very full. The company is interested in making money and usually encourages its employees to do what is necessary to earn a fare. As long as your luggage is reasonable is quantity and size I would not foresee any difficulty. To be on the safe side, plan on a little extra time to board an earlier ferry so that if an unanticipated need to use Plan B arises you'll be prepared.

I take the ferry almost every day. If you mean can you take your luggage on the ferry and then the ferry bus to the Cruise Terminal I would have to say it is a bit much to cross over 12th Avenuse dragging your luggage, I would not do it. I would take the Ferry and just take a taxi on the NY side to the Cruise Terminal. It is a very inexpensive ride via Taxi from the Ferry..

I re-read your question in light of the response from a more recent poster. If you're going to take the ferry to New York and then go directly to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, then I have mis-read your question. In that case the best thing to do will be to board the free NY Waterway bus at the westside ferry terminal to 50th Street. Have the bus driver stop on 50th Street at 12th Avenue. You'll then have to cross to the other side of 12th Avenue for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. It is a busy avenue, but this is a signalized intersection and you should be able to make it without undue difficulty. A taxi would be more convenient, though it will cost you $5 or so.

Thank you so much for your help. I actually called NY Waterways today to make sure I can bring my suitcase on thr ferry and was told yes. But they told me the bus dosen't go that far and it is only 4 blocks away so it is walkable. I think we will take a taxi.

It's a little further than 4 blocks. NY Waterway docks at Pier 78 (38 St). The Manhattan Cruise Terminal consists of Piers 88 (48 St), 90 (50 St), and 92 (52 St). So it is at least 10 blocks. But, there are 20 blocks to the mile, so this is really only 1/2 mile. And unless the weather is not cooperating, it can be a pleasant walk (at least if your luggage is on wheels and you don't have too much of it). Otherwise this is a cheap yellow taxi fare.

I'm not sure if I understand what NY Waterway told you since their 50 St bus should go up to and stop at 12 Av & 50 St. Best thing might be to check with the bus dispatcher at Pier 78 upon arrival, and the dispatcher will either get you on the right bus or give you the advice to walk or taxi that day.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like it worked out well for you and that the ferry might be a good solution for many folks who are dismayed at the $30/day parking in NY. Did you pay to park in Weehawken? If so, how much was it?

Sounds like it worked out well for you and that the ferry might be a good solution for many folks who are dismayed at the $30/day parking in NY. Did you pay to park in Weehawken? If so, how much was it?

would love to know how much it cost to park also

I would double check with the NY Waterways about any limitations they have on luggage but for the most part I think you should be fine.

Archived