Going crazy planning! Need help with cabin selection

just_moe

I am a planner by nature, but planning a cruise for my family is driving me bonkers! Here's the deal... I want to take my 80 year old grandmother who has some mobility issues, me, DH, and 2 kids (11 & 7). What type of cabin(s) configuration would you suggest? Looking at Mexican Riviera from CA, Thanksgiving week on the RCCL MOS or Carnival Splendor. I think I might like adjoining balcony rooms for my grandmother, DH and myself, with kids in interior across the hall, near an elevator so my grandmother doesn't have to walk far. Does that sound good? ...or would 1 balcony cabin and 1 family suite (with bunk beds) be a better or cheaper option? I need to be close to my grandmother to assist her.

Thanks for your help, experienced family cruisers! ;)

Personally, I'd do the 2 adj. bal. with an inside for the kids....you do want some privacy, don't you?

Near the elevator/stairs is great...there's no noise because of it (they're in their own hallway) and it is ever so convenient!

If your grandmom needs a "handicapped" cabin, they do have them available.

I am looking at this as three adults and two children, the oldest being 11 years of age. I would get two balconies next to each other and split the kids, one can stay with grandmother. Many ships like Princess who also does that route over Thanksgiving you can open the balcony divider so it is like two adjoining rooms. A single adult in a room pays double for the most part.

Thanksgiving in Mexico is wonderful we have done it two years now.

I am looking at this as three adults and two children, the oldest being 11 years of age. I would get two balconies next to each other and split the kids, one can stay with grandmother. Many ships like Princess who also does that route over Thanksgiving you can open the balcony divider so it is like two adjoining rooms. A single adult in a room pays double for the most part.

Thanksgiving in Mexico is wonderful we have done it two years now.

I totally agree. The grandmother would pay the single supplement rate if she stayed alone. So it would be like paying for 2 people, just grandma. :(

Book 2 connecting balcony cabins and book one child into Grandma's cabin and one into yours. Then, one of your kids would be an adult rate (1st/2nd rate) instead of 2 and you won't be paying double the cost for Grandma. The other child would be under the reduced 3/4th person rate.

I personally wouldn't feel safe having a 7 and 11 year old stay alone across the hall. But that's another story ;)

Thanks so much for the advice! I will get pricing on both the connecting balcony state rooms with the kids split, and the 3 room configuration.

ps. Do I need to worry about security? My daughter is almost 12 and already babysits her younger brother for me. Since the interior across from us would be used only for the kids sleeping, I didn't think it was a problem?? Yikes! :eek:

ps. Do I need to worry about security? My daughter is almost 12 and already babysits her younger brother for me. Since the interior across from us would be used only for the kids sleeping, I didn't think it was a problem?? Yikes! :eek:

It just all depends on what you are comfortable with. ;) We all have different comfort levels. I am one of those over protective types. So no, a 7 and a 11 year old, for me, is too young to have their own non-connecting cabin.

I know that many, many parents around here allow children that young to stay in non-connecting cabins. My kids would have to be in a connecting cabin for me to feel comfortable.

The crew have card keys to the cabins. You just never know. :(

Hum... how old is your Grandmother? If Grandma is paying and wants to split the cost by sharing with one of the kids- thats great but she may want privacy.

It all depends on what you are expecting out of this trip. You don't want to be on top of each other. I would get two insides that connect and put Grandma in one and the kids in the other. Then I would get a balcony cabin across the hall. You can all congregate there and the kids would have some supervision if the insides are connecting.

Kids will sleep better in an inside cabin- no windows. Grandma may benefit from being in an inside- since there is less motion there.

I wouldn't pick Splender over MOS. Splendor looks like Pepto Bismol.

"I wouldn't pick Splender over MOS. Splendor looks like Pepto Bismol."

That's hilarious! I ended up booking MOS - two adjacent balcony rooms with sofa beds near an elevator on deck 8 towards the front. I put grandma (who is 80) and my daughter in one room, and me, DH, and 7 year old son in the other. I would rather have 3 rooms, but it was a $2,000 difference in price to add the interior, and I did start having 2nd thoughts about putting the kids in the interior room by themselves at night! The RCL guy tried to upsell me on the grand suite with adjoining balcony room for $8,000+. I said "nice try my friend... but I'd rather have the extra money for excursions and adult beverages!" The total cost of the 2 balcony rooms incl. taxes and insurance is $4,902. So I'm happy for now. Can't wait to go!

Thanks again everyone! ;-)

You did good Moe. :D

Mariner is a great ship. And now the kids can go ice skating, go to the parades in the promenade, rock wall climb, play basketball, mini golf, etc.

The Adventure Ocean pages are at the link in my signature if you want to see them. Have a great cruise! :D

Be sure and attend the ice show on Mariner, those are wonderful. Am so happy you have the room situation worked out. For a fun and affordable thing to do in Matz, check out Randy's Horses. They have contact info in the Ports of Call boards here. People seem to have a lot of fun doing that. It is really close to the ship also.

Archived